Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Shaftmonde

Reich Mover Remote Fault

Recommended Posts

After a long lay-off I went to engage my Reich mover yesterday, but found the remote control wasn't working; no red light. This is one of those black jobs with red buttons - 2006.

Checked the battery, and it was indeed a bit low (7v) so bought another one.

Still no go. Whereupon I looked through these forums and found a similar problem from some years ago (now closed) where the gentleman had exactly the same problem.

But learned that a replacement unit would cost £145 Arghh!

So, nothing ventured nothing gained, I took the thing apart (four screws from the back, and four screws from the circuit board. Simple.

Bingo! I found the fault - easypeasy

You will find that the CB is connected to the front button-face by a plastic ribbon strip which plugs into a small white connector block.

Pull the ribbon out of the block and, using a magnifing glass, carefully and gently scrape or clean the tiny exposed ends of the wires.

(With any such contact problems I usually make a point of lightly wiping surfaces with a little Vaseline to prevent future oxidisation.)

Plug the ribbon back, reassemble, and you're ready-to-go.

Hope this will help others in a similar predicament

Shaftmonde.

PS I only charge £144 for this advice :D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sounds like excellent advice and a simple fix. I would happily try it but I don't have a mover on our caravan ;)

Oh, and welcome to the forum . . . . . .

Rallier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Shaftmonde, I opened my handset too. Managed to pull the ribbon cable out, thinking it was a plug. Not difficult to replace. Phew! My problem was a broken wire from battery connector to pcb. Found this by wiggling it and watching the red LED. Anyway my problem now is with the reset of the motor controller. It switched on and one motor worked. The other ran for a few seconds then stopped. I cannot get unit to reset now. When I release the reset button, the LED comes on again straight away. Tried power cycling and re-synchro too. Manual not much help. Arrow points to the red LED and tells me it is a red LED. Brilliant!!

There is no isolator on my system. I would like to fit a mcb instead of a switch. Anybody know what current these units draw?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Topic pinned to find it easier in the future.

 

Welcome to both of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Shaftmonde, just read your post again. I really don't recommend putting Vaseline on electronic connections. Its an insulator and is good for keeping damp out of leisure battery connections and other things too apparently but not for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Shaftmonde, I opened my handset too. Managed to pull the ribbon cable out, thinking it was a plug. Not difficult to replace. Phew! My problem was a broken wire from battery connector to pcb. Found this by wiggling it and watching the red LED. Anyway my problem now is with the reset of the motor controller. It switched on and one motor worked. The other ran for a few seconds then stopped. I cannot get unit to reset now. When I release the reset button, the LED comes on again straight away. Tried power cycling and re-synchro too. Manual not much help. Arrow points to the red LED and tells me it is a red LED. Brilliant!!

There is no isolator on my system. I would like to fit a mcb instead of a switch. Anybody know what current these units draw?

Hi Shaftmonde - welcome and thanks for the tip about my Reich mover!

 

Rustybike - you might want to check out the spade connectors to the motors - there are 2 at each. These are usually crimped, rather than soldered and are very exposed to road spray. My mover was second hand, so I cut off all the originals and replaced them with soldered new ones, which alone reduces the number of failure points. Clean up the motor spades, then a dab of good old Waxoyl to keep the water at bay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers Chris. I unbolted the whole assembly and brought it into the garage in November. Stripped and greased everything and repainted the metalwork. The connectors looked good but I take your point about being crimped. I ran the motors before refitting but one seemed to labour a bit. That was the one that tripped the controller. Still can't get it to reset. Nice project for over winter but very little technical information out there on the wibbly wobbly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...