Sign in to follow this  
Upyonder

Remote Engage

If the remote engage fails on a Powertouch Evo. can they be engaged manually?

They can certainly be disengaged manually by means of a supplied allen key type tool.

They can certainly be disengaged manually by means of a supplied allen key type tool.

Just debating whether to get auto/electronic engage on my new caravan with Powertouch Evo. Mover is essential to get it on drive. Will get manual engage if its not possible.

I had the problem that one side would not move. I phoned Powetouch and was told to remove the cover plug on the end of the engaging motor and then put a socket (6mm I think) and give it half a turn. This cured the problem. It could have been caused by me turning the mover off with the big red key before it had finished going through its parking procedure.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, had manual engage on my previous Truma and not a bind to do it so may well just go for manual.

Manual with a cross bar, less to go wrong and only have to engage one side. I love mine.

• Like 2

I have auto and if you get in the habit, when I pull up to unhitch, first action is battery door open, red key on and start auto actuation, I then start the unhitch.

By the time we are finished its ready to go.

It comes with the tool to wind on / off. I see now reason why it would not work to wind on as well as off

• Like 1

I had one of my four fail on holiday but as it still worked on the other three I did not try to engage it. When I got home Pwrtouch suggested moving it with the tool but it was seized solid, I was bending the tool.

Repaired at my home the following week under warranty, the motor had water ingress and was seized.

Pwrtouch suggested they sometimes jam if the master is turned off before it completes its full retraction procedure but I never turn the master off until I want to use the mover.

I have had three of these movers on different vans over the last five years and this is the first time one has failed.

Ian

From reading some of the issues about cross actuation seizing, these seem about as uncommon as the auto actuation failing on one of these movers, yes it can happen but it's fairly uncommon, I'm glad I went for it as I'd probably loose the wind on tool.

I've got the remote actuators and just after I purchased the van one of the motors was sticking. I kept the rewind tool along with a small ratchet to operate it when it stuck.

It finally gave up and I fitted a new motor. The only thing to note is the tool on the new motor differs slightly from the remaining good motor so I carry both in the storage locker just in case.

One very important note, re the Auto engage.

Always wait for the activation to Finnish.

There is normally a pause after coming off, then it relocates itself, apros 5 secs.

Then go & turn off the Red key & remove the key from the Isolator switch.

If you don't want to lose the key, put some wire in the key (small hole) & attach the other end to the battery box.

It wont fall out anyway when the door is shut.

Also don't forget to Lub the motors sliding bits with a spray grease or chain lub. Every little helps.

RB

Thanks again for all your input. Decision made. ..... Manual, less money less to go wrong.

• Like 1

Thanks again for all your input. Decision made. ..... Manual, less money less to go wrong.

Good choice. I had a Mammut mover which was "auto", and one side refused to engage. No way to sort it except to follow Al-ko support advice and take it to dealership. Not a practical solution, so scrapped the whole thing in favour of a new (DIY fitted) Powrtouch Evolution.

Went for the "manual" version for same reasoning as yourself. Also, as I don't need the 'one side only' actuation, I left off the transfer bar (don't need it at home and not likely to set up that close on site). This makes the engage/disengage operation even less of an effort.

The Evolution is much more precise. The Mammut had a joystick on the remote, and you could not be certain of a straight-ahead direction when starting to move - the slightest offset would cause a jerk to left or right. Not nice when between the high gateposts with only 40mm-50mm clearance on either side.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this