Sign in to follow this  
BillySmart

Towing At Night To Avoid Congestion.

why not drive in the day outside of rush hour?

I have done a number of 200 mile trips this year, only once got stuck in traffic. i started one journey at 8. 30 am fully expected to get stuck but no issues.

we generall try to plane to be between juntions where we think there will be a problem in rush hour but rarly have problems

macafee2

I think it is a great idea for everyone (else) to tow at night to avoid congestion.

It will make my journey less congested, thank you.

• Like 1

why not drive in the day outside of rush hour?

I have done a number of 200 mile trips this year, only once got stuck in traffic. i started one journey at 8. 30 am fully expected to get stuck but no issues.

we generall try to plane to be between juntions where we think there will be a problem in rush hour but rarly have problems

macafee2

Some major routes have "rush hour" all day, from 7am to 7pm - particularly provincial cities like M6 Birmingham and Manchester - other routes have a higher proportion of HGVs to cars so no concept of a "rush hour".

We're towing down to Surrey this morning, a regular August Bank Holiday trip for us - joining the end of the M42 rush hour round Birmingham/Solihull should get a good run down the M40 but we'll ignore the satnav and avoid the M25 by getting off earlier and zig-zag across the M4, M3 and A31 to get south of Guildford by midday - it's worked in the past so fingers crossed!

Whatever time you travel, the best course is to plan for as much time on the journey as possible. It is usually easy to take more prolonged rest periods towards the end of your journey so that you can arrive on site within the appropriate time. The last thing you want is to be under any pressure to meet a deadline.

On Thursday, we had an awful journey to the Channel Tunnel from Yorkshire. Things were no better in France. We pulled over, had four hours kip, got up at 0300 this morning and enjoyed the journey.

It's not something I've done before with the motorhome, but fate took a hand. Would definitely do it again.

Russ

We used to set off at 4am for York to Devon run, approx 4 1/2 hours (no caravan)

Planning on Cornwall next year with the caravan so probably a midnight set off for that one!, kids normally sleep in the car no problem (thankfully!).

I despise traffic jams so night driving is a small price to pay to avoid most of them!.

When we travel to the ferry we leave about 3am arrive at Portsmouth at about 7am Usually only a few HGVs on the motorway. .only been caught out once with road closure

I accept that there are some very good reasons for travelling overnight, but my main concern is the early arrival at the destination.

I do understand that some sites may be willing to agree an early arrival (say before midday) but its not just the site that are affected.

Many lanes in Devon & Cornwall are very narrow and need negotiating with care when towing. The out by 10 am (ish) and no arrivals before 12md rule applied by many sites, at least allows a sort of tidal flow.

So it can be quite disconcerting when navigating a large caravan (Or HGV for that matter) through a narrow lane, to find an early inbound caravan, coming in the opposite direction when not expected for a few hours yet.

TF

Being an early riser for work (4. 30), setting off early morning suits me.

I think if I tried a night drive I'd be dead in a ditch before I even get to the motorway 😖

Phil.

I fully understand reasons for travelling at night,but my experience is that we leave here,near Kidderminster,about nine thirty am,on a Monday. tue. wed. thur. Not fri. or weekend,or bank holiday.

We have left home towing eight times since April,going north,south,west and east. going on journeys of up to 230 miles. always head for m5 m6 m42. except when we went to mid Wales.

Not been held up once for more than five mins. always arrive close after noon,set up and enjoy the afternoon.

I know different parts of the country vary,and do get long delays, but this works for us very well,even in August.

My preference to night driving.

So much for the inability of subsequent UK governments to invest in infrastructure. Don't see what immigration has to do with it.

Percentage of immigrants as part of UK population?

Percentage of economic benefit to UK economy of immigrant labour (minus the,very small, who claim benefits) ?

Questions, always more questions and no relevant answers. I'm not getting into the revolving door with you again PT. I'd rather you didn't respond to any of my posts. It does nothing for either of our blood pressures.

Questions, always more questions and no relevant answers. I'm not getting into the revolving door with you again PT. I'd rather you didn't respond to any of my posts. It does nothing for either of our blood pressures.

Answers, answers, rarely any. .. ;)

Sign in to follow this