Sign in to follow this  
Halohodge

Banging Doors

I know this topic has been raised before but why do motor homers feel the need to slam their doors, we had one parked two pitches away and they where always banging the doors, it doesn't help I know that they have 3 doors instead of 1 on a caravan but it can get a bit irritating. There I've got that of my chest, lets here from motorhomers and see what reasons they come up with, I can think of several.

Sliding doors on panel van conversions - always make a noise and the occupants "always" seem to need the loo early in the morning!

• Like 3

Some doors cannot be closed quietly. On our 2005 Swift Charisma you had to slam the door when closing from the outside and swing it hard shut from the inside. I went back to the dealer ad all the range were the same. Normally, as with the present van, gentle pressure will close it fully with no need to bang.

Oh the dreaded "Slammers"

Last site we were on had one MH'er who seemed to have hundreds of doors they continued to slam their car doors too one morning they left at 5am in the car but we heard the usual 100 door closures before they left. :angry::rolleyes:

Took an instant dislike to them TBH as we had arrived set up and were sat out in front of our porch awning when this car came racing onto site, so close to the awning guy ropes they nearly took them out, they saw us as they past but they must be of a better breed than us as they never spoke the whole time. site is Adults Only 5 vans CL over 1 acre and only had us and them on site.

They even walked past to get water while we were sat out and totally ignored us, I know people can be happy with their own company, but these pair were definitely insular. :ph34r:

Edited by kiaboy

Sliding doors on panel van conversions - always make a noise and the occupants "always" seem to need the loo early in the morning!

Sliding doors are worse than slamming doors, I am not looking forward to the ferry pitches on Black Horse Farm next week prior to our tunnel crossing

Edited by Les Medes
  • Like 1

I've been on about it for years. Door slamming is one of the most irritating things. Noisy sliding doors are also quite disturbing in the wee hours. I discussed the idea with a Caravanning friend who was as rattled by me, that we could download some door slamming noises from the Internet and have a go at composing some music. The recorded Door Slamming Symphony would be available to all caravanners to download and play when they feel the need and at whatever volume they thought appropriate.

All of you complaining about noisy slamming doors should count yourself lucky that you can hear them, I can't and I wish I could change places with those that can, I hear no birds singing, no phone ringing, and no TVs blaring.

Just be thankful, you have your hearing, unfortunately hearing aids do not work for me.

• Like 2

I do hate the toilet door on our Swift charisma. It's the magnetic strip seal variant and it's almost impossible to open or close it without a clatter. I worry I disturb adjacent pitches as unfortunately I have to use it several times throughout the night.

Whether in a caravan or a motorhome quiet door closing is usually possible with care.

We have had campers with the dreaded sliding door but if closed slowly from the outside with a final firm push at the trailing edge all you hear is a quiet click as it latches - there is no need to take a run up to slam the catch!!! If necessary then walk round and enter via one of the normally hinged cab doors.

We have also had caravans but again if the catch is operated manually to the open position, the door can often be closed firmly shut before releasing the handle to latch it.

When arriving or departing a site we have a simple rule that unless it is raining each door should only be opened or closed once - quietly. I can recall departing from a CL near Dover prior to a ferry crossing. The caravan was unhitched and leveled but the hitch remained above the towball and the outfit faced downhill to the exit gate. With everything packed the night before departure, all we had to do in the morning was recouple the caravan and free wheel to the gate on side lights, starting the engine some distance from the other campers. Returning three weeks later we had another overnight stop at the same site, and coincidentally our neighbours had also been there when we left - they said did not know anything of our 5am departure three weeks earlier until they woke up to see the gap we'd left.

Gordon.

• Like 1

Whether in a caravan or a motorhome quiet door closing is usually possible with care.

We have also had caravans but again if the catch is operated manually to the open position, the door can often be closed firmly shut before releasing the handle to latch it.

Gordon.

Recent Coachman caravans have a sign on the door telling how to close the door which is not to slam, due to breakages in the mechanism.

We have never had to slam any of our caravan doors, so using the Coachman door closing procedure is second nature. :)

• Like 1

some are inconsiderate but generally none of us think about the noise we make. We dont hear our own noise. .

macafee2

• Like 2

On our t5 Califonia the sliding door slides slowly and closes electronically, almost silently.

Electronic sliding sides doors are now available on the Fiat Ducato panel van, though usually as a cost option. Presumably that means they're available on the PSA versions too. How quiet they are I couldn't say

I put this in the same category as leaving the car with the engine running, loud TVs that can be heard many metres away, dogs incessantly barking, children running round unsupervised kicking balls against caravans / cars, people using the corner of your pitch as a short cut to the water tap etc. ....

All due to a complete indifference to other people's experience and enjoyment and a result of the "me, me" attitudes prevalent since the 1980s.

• Like 2

I put this in the same category as leaving the car with the engine running, loud TVs that can be heard many metres away, dogs incessantly barking, children running round unsupervised kicking balls against caravans / cars, people using the corner of your pitch as a short cut to the water tap etc. ....

All due to a complete indifference to other people's experience and enjoyment and a result of the "me, me" attitudes prevalent since the 1980s.

Who Me

We are again caravanners, but for just over 8 years we did change to motor caravans - both were of Autosleeper make.

The first was a campervan (Rambler) with a sliding door, although we had a rear-ended drive-away awning, and mainly used the rear doors, which did not need to be slammed.

We then had a Talisman, which had just the two cab doors and a caravan-type door towards the rear. This was our main route in and out of the vehicle, and the door closed with no more noise than that of a caravan.

Never have thought about it, but I cannot understand why anyone should need to be constantly using the cab doors.

Having had a Panel Van Conversion and a Coachbuilt motorhome I can't see a reason for excessive cab door use either. Getting into a motorhome via the cab is certainly not the easiest way and via the driver's door it's positively tortuous.

Our PVC had one issue that may have caused more side door slamming than normal. It was built as a demo for a van to take a wheelchair instead of a nearside rear passenger seat. As such it had rails in the floor to clamp the chair in place. When we bought it they made up a seat to match the offside but it had a steel frame that clipped to the rails, rather than the more normal seatbox. That was all fine except to change the seat into a bed configuration you had to release both rail clips, slide it forward and re-clip it. The problem was you had to get out of the van to attend to the nearside if the two clips. Not so bad if the weather was fine or if attached to an awning, but horrible in wet or cold conditions. It also meant the door had to be shut once more and that the heat disappeared from the van whilst it was open.

My observations are that it's the use of the sliding side door on panel van conversions that causes the most noise - the most convenient on many layouts. Driver/passenger/rear door use is no worse than car/caravan doors.

I find if you don't go to a site where other people are then the noise stops. ......

Let's be realistic, you are camping in a tin tent. It's going to be noisy sometimes.

• Like 1

I find if you don't go to a site where other people are then the noise stops. ......

Let's be realistic, you are camping in a tin tent. It's going to be noisy sometimes.

That's alright then ?

• Like 1

That's alright then ?

Well if it isn't what can you do? Have a row every time you go away? Not very relaxing doing that IMHO.

It probably also depends on the weather and if a van is connected to an awning. In dry weather and when we have the awning attached the door tends to remain open, when we're present. If it's wet or cold then the door gets plenty of exercise.

My observations are that it's the use of the sliding side door on panel van conversions that causes the most noise - the most convenient on many layouts. Driver/passenger/rear door use is no worse than car/caravan doors.

Most campervans/motorhomes are built on a chassis where the cab part is simply a standard commercial vehicle. I don't know if anything has changed since we "motorhomed", but the cab doors did seem to have a 'bong' to them and could not be closed as quietly as a car door. Some of the problem was likely to be due to lack of sound deadening insulation as opposed to car construction. Have the manufacturers addressed this issue in recent times?

I'm not aware that panel van conversions have any sound insulation in the ex-load area - heat insulation but not sound

I'm not aware that panel van conversions have any sound insulation in the ex-load area - heat insulation but not sound

Then that would explain why these doors make more sound when being closed. Most cars have "anti-drumming" compound painted on their inner panels which can make quite a difference. Makes sense when you think about it. The commercial chassis builders do not treat their assembly programmes any differently, whether a chassis is going to a motorhome builder or for general commercial use. It would then be up to the motorhome builder to upgrade the insulation qualities of the cab - some possibly do so, whilst others may not - it all comes down to cost and profit margins.

The previous mention of the sliding door on panel van conversions - which our Rambler was - reminds me of how noisy this actually was, both in the sliding and final shutting of the door. Yet our daughter once had a VW Caravelle with electrically operated sliding doors and these closed exceptionally quietly. Not a cheap vehicle, and probably a result of high quality build

compared to the more commonly used vehicles for van conversions.

Sign in to follow this