Sign in to follow this  
LeadFarmer

Pink Flush & The Dreaded Black Gunge!

We all know about the black gunge problems in the flush tank, believed to be caused by Thetford pink flush which I used to use and suffered the same.

Last year I switched to Elsan pink flush, and I still suffer from black gunge in the flush. But then I never cleaned out the flush header tank on my C200CWE toilet.

Fast forward to today and whilst holidaying in the van my flush fuse keeps failing. I must have replaced it half dozen times this week. I suspect the flush pump is getting clogged up with the black stuff? So today I set about draining the tank to clean it. I've refilled it with a bleach solution and later today I'll drain it again and refill with water to see if this has helped.

I've also removed the pump and cleaned it. When submersing it in a watering can of clean water it works perfectly.

Anyone know if the newer Thetford Pink Plus is any safer to use?

Edited by LeadFarmer

We are now useing the Thetford Aqua Rinse Flush, this is sprayed round the bowl and saves it going though the pump & tank, we have had this for months it works ver well.

I used Milton and then fendox to clean mine after using thetford, it took quiet a few goes but it worked, now I only use Elson pink and drain after every trip, no black gunge since, however I still put fendox in occasionally just-in-case ;)

I had a bellows flush system almost completely blocked by black gunge,

I cleaned it out with hand hot water and soda crystals and started to use

the Elsan pink. However like any system with water in it it can be prone to

bacterial build up if neglected. I drain my flush tank after ever trip now,

storing the pink in a properly marked container until the next outing if

it is not too far off.

I use a cap-full of "Fresh Linen" Zaflora.

No sign of black gunge after six months, and smells nice too.

Sold my stock of Pink and Blue at a car boot sale last week.

• Like 1

I flush with plain water and have done so for at least 6 years

• Like 4

I use a cap-full of "Fresh Linen" Zaflora.

No sign of black gunge after six months, and smells nice too.

Sold my stock of Pink and Blue at a car boot sale last week.

Zaflora sets my hayfever off :(

My wife complained of a nasty pong from the washing machine and drain.

I used Zoflora (a strong disinfectant) just to make things more pleasant.

All the pipework was new and had a fall without any pipework that would

allow water to lie. I read the instructions for the low temperature wash tablets

and powder and they clearly state that their frequent use without a boil wash

would lead to bacterial build up and nasty niffs!

I use plain water in the flush tank but when I add 1/2 gallon of water to the tank I also pop in a Tesco baby bottle sterilizing tablet. I don't get black bits .

Sadly the cleaning of the flush tank has not solved the problem of the flush fuse blowing. For now it's working fine with a 10amp fuse, instead of the original 3amp fuse, but thats not the ideal solution. I can't think of any other cause so maybe a new pump is required?

Edited by LeadFarmer

Hi LeadFarmer, Fenwicks made a very successful toilet cleaner to cure this very problem (black bits and gunge) it was called in the early days Fendox,both Paul B and myself still prefer this name but it now goes under the name of (wait for it) Fenwicks waste pipe and tank cleaner, but it is just as good as it always was. This product can be disposed on any camp site as it's Septic Tank friendly and safe to use anywhere . cheers OMF

• Like 1

Sadly the cleaning of the flush tank has not solved the problem of the flush fuse blowing. For now it's working fine with a 10amp fuse, instead of the original 3amp fuse, but thats not the ideal solution. I can't think of any other cause so maybe a new pump is required?

I would look to getting it sorted sooner than later, if you have to use a higher fuse rating then there must be a lot more current going through it than normal. As well as potential damage to wiring (unlikely due to short flush duration) you do actually have the chance of damaging the contacts of the flush switch which will just add to the bill.

Ps Are you the same LeadFarmer as on LZ (you will know what I mean if you are)?

Doesn't solve OP's problem but also don;t use anything in flush tank. Just empty cassette regularly and use the concentrated top n tail in cassette as little goes a long way.

Can always add one of those in-the-bowl sticky odorisers if want something to keep things smelling sweet?

Back in the last century, literally when having a loo with a fresh water tank I simply drained down and stored the tanks contents in a black plastic container, not leaving it to fester in the tank between trips. Seemed to work and reduce the rear weight at the same time.

Since then with the flush water being taken from the water system, then the "freshener" is a made up solution in a garden spray which we think sprayed all around the pan/seat etc far better achieves its sanitising purpose.

Edited by JTQ

I use "Fenwicks Top & Tail" for both, without problem.

Formaldehyde free, so safe to use in sceptic tanks.

• Like 1

I had the horrible black bits while using Thetford pink rinse and it cost me 2 submersible pumps over a couple of seasons, After the switch to using Elsan pink rinse i have had no black bits at all.

What I don't understand is how many folk put any pink stuff into our toilet cisterns in the home, I don't mean the nice smelling things attached to the side of bowl. So why the need to put this stuff in our caravan toilets.

When I purchased my caravan at 3 years old, the toilet flush tank was black with algae build up, possibly due to the previous owner using the pink stuff.

I removed the top from the tank and thoroughly washed it out using bleach and water along with a bottle brush to release the black grunge.

Every year since when I carry out my service I do the same and in the winter I remove the pump and dry out the tank thus preventing any freezing problems during the winter.

I've never had any black bits when flushing since I carried out my first clean out on the system.

What I don't understand is how many folk put any pink stuff into our toilet cisterns in the home, I don't mean the nice smelling things attached to the side of bowl. So why the need to put this stuff in our caravan toilets.

I suggest because at home the bowl is given a very much larger volume and more effective flush than your caravans toilet?

We don't use in in our van because we can't as it is flushed from the fresh water system, but it is IMO more pleasant if it the seat etc is lightly sprayed with a sanitising solution.

I find that a quick flush of water containing rinse additive before seating keeps the toilet slippery and prevents Klingons :rolleyes:

I haven't had any black bits since I cleaned out the tank after the thetford problem and I never had a problem prior to using it.

• Like 1

I have the dreaded black "gunge" in our flush tank, looking at it (Sterling Moonstone) the tank looks built in to the side of the van and tough to remove.

Can you use the Fenwicks tank cleaner solution Milton as an actual flush as well (while it cleans the tank) or do you have to drain and refill with fresh water before use?.

Bit tricky to work on while it's in storage but we'll be away again in a few weeks so would be good to fill the tank and let it do it's thing while we're using it.

I have the dreaded black "gunge" in our flush tank, looking at it (Sterling Moonstone) the tank looks built in to the side of the van and tough to remove.

Can you use the Fenwicks tank cleaner solution Milton as an actual flush as well (while it cleans the tank) or do you have to drain and refill with fresh water before use while we're using it.

Hi keefmac, you can use Fenwicks tank cleaner at any time to clean your toilet as it lifts the grung out of the converluted pipe work, where as bleach and Milton sanitise the toilet.

The best way to remove the unwanted grunge etc. Is to load the unit as directed and leave it in then and give it a good swish round

Hi keefmac, you can use Fenwicks tank cleaner at any time to clean your toilet as it lifts the grung out of the converluted pipe work, where as bleach and Milton sanitise the toilet.

The best way to remove the unwanted grunge etc. Is to load the unit as directed and leave it in then and give it a good swish round

I used to get the dreaded black bits but since I swapped to "OneChem" Toilet Blue in both flush and waste tank no more and it's Formaldehyde free and smells nice :)

(It's also cheaper)

Sold at Go-outdoors and e-bay amongst other places

Jim

Cheers!, I'll drain the tank and use the Fenwicks tank cleaner on our October outing.

Then bin the pink flush and use something more suitable!.

What mix ratio would you recomend for putting in the flush tank?.

Might give the bathroom and sink drains a clean while I'm at it. .

What mix ratio would you recomend for putting in the flush tank?.

Might give the bathroom and sink drains a clean while I'm at it. .

Hi, keefmac you will find all the info you need on the web site----www. fenwicks. info

As for the bottom tank don't forget to use the tank cleaner first,

give it a good rinse round( take it for a little run ) then follow the instructions on the label for T&T. The tank cleaner is just perfect for your sink/shower/draining board Etc. As it is food safe.

Regards safe caravanning OMF