Sign in to follow this  
Durbanite

2017 Buccaneer Caravans

Many thanks for replies and Graham's kind offer of spreadsheet!

Yes, I'm sure we'll get used to it but it does make you wonder with the Galera being 6 berth how a family of 2 adults and 3 or 4 kids would cope with the smaller payload. Same situation with the car in that scenario - seats needed for humans - where does the stuff go? Our Galera came from factory with a bike rack - didn't want it but couldn't avoid it. Dealer: "Everybody wants a bike rack with a family caravan" So I removed it and it'll sit in the shed till the day I sell the 'van. ....Interestingly, I very much doubt the rack is included in the MIRO - certainly isn't listed. Anyway, there'll be people with families going for the Galera, having a motor mover fitted and putting 2 bikes on the back. A couple of lounger chairs and BBQ and that's it! It's looking like the roof box will be an essential item when we come to do any serious travelling.

"Roof box is a good call as long as you get them out for a comfort break every so often.:-) " - If I drill a couple of holes in the front and back for ventilation they'd be happy enough, right? :ph34r:

Cheers, Andy

• Like 2

I've now gone with the roof box option on the Disco (can just about reach it using the caravan step).

I have two large dogs in the boot, awning, tables, dog food, wine, beer, wheel locks, awning carpet, pegs and mallet on the back seat and foot well (its amazing what you can get to fit).

Chairs and cadac in the roof box.

So basically i'm towing a large box with a huge amount of space that's almost empty but a car packed to the gunnels.

Edited by dogman
  • Like 4

We have no dogs.

2 folding electric bikes on a home made siamese stand hawsered to the cargo lugs behind Mrs Chief.

Take about 1/3rd of the D4 load area.

Awning, Cadac, Mobicool box running, suitcases. etc etc

• Like 1

Sounds a good plan GB.

I had a car wheel refinished last year and that was £90 too. In the end it wasnt a 100% absolutely perfect match so I went and bought a new one much to the horror of my long suffering wife!

Anyway back to the thread hope you can get to the bottom of the problem with the mover, look forward to your findings.

VV

UPDATE ON THE AWD ISSUE:

Did some tests this weekend and found the van would turn 20 degrees in "one van length" in 2 minutes. Battery voltage held up ok. (Only second time we've used it).

Had called Powrtouch, who asked me to take it back to dealer as it has been like this since delivery and they are pretty sure it's miss wired, so they don't want to get involved until this has been checked. They say it should turn 90 degrees in one and a half van lengths. (Watched a guy with same mover easily turn an 1800kg Swift in this distance whilst on site this week, so I know what is possible).

Van booked in to PB next Wednesday.

Will swap out the 95aH battery for my 115aH when I get it back. Extra capacity is no bad thing.

Otherwise, over the last month we have covered 1450 miles through Northumberland and Scotland and the van has been a joy.

GB.

• Like 4

FINAL WORD ON THE AWD:

Its fixed! Turns out that the front nearside drive wheel was not contacting the tyre sufficiently and the rear axle motors had crossed wiring. All down to the dealer's installation so his hands were up. Luckily we are only 20 miles away.

Anyway, all is well and the turning performance is amazing. Even on the 90aH battery.

FOOTNOTE TO WHEEL BALANCING:

The stick on weights can obstruct the Diamond Locks. Have to avoid them when fitting security.

Just thought I'd pass this on.

Cheers,

GB.

• Like 4

Welcome

Cutlery Draw is a bad, many of them are stiff to open. Ours included

Our drawer has now been fixed three times so hopefully it is the last time.

• Like 1

FOOTNOTE TO WHEEL BALANCING:The stick on weights can obstruct the Diamond Locks. Have to avoid them when fitting security.

Just thought I'd pass this on.

Cheers,

GB.

A decent tyre place should be able to balance a wheel by placing weights on the inner rim, mainly for cosmetic reasons. These shouldn't obstruct the wheel locks.

A decent tyre place should be able to balance a wheel by placing weights on the inner rim, mainly for cosmetic reasons. These shouldn't obstruct the wheel locks.

I'll pass that on to my tyre place. The weights only obstruct one segment and are quite low profile, hence I did not initially see them when I attempted to fit the lock.

I don't think this will ruin our enjoyment of the van though.

Anyone else concerned at how stiff to operate the long sunroof blinds are? Ours needs two hands to steady them and push them along. It's not the bars in the channel, more the cords I think. I wonder if some spray lubricant might sort it?

I have no experience of these mechanisms but when our door flyscreen went on the previous van it was because the cords frayed and failed. If this were to happen on the roof cassette it would mean taking down the big roof panel. Not trivial I suspect.

Any advice welcomed.

GB.

Hi Graham,cannot give an answer as to what to use as a lubricant to use,just checked our blind it is fairly stiff but you can operate with one hand,has yours always been stiff or has it got worse with use?

Not having a problem with ours. Seems fine.

• Like 1

Hi Graham,cannot give an answer as to what to use as a lubricant to use,just checked our blind it is fairly stiff but you can operate with one hand,has yours always been stiff or has it got worse with use?

About the same as it's always been I think Craig. I am a bit loathe to spray it until I am sure I won't make things worse or have the cords pick up dust and become dirty and possibly jam.

I'll wait and see if anyone else reports this and perhaps speak to dealer when we get home.

Thanks for reply.

Graham.

That would be Pete. I just replied with a very short smug reply. 😏😏😏

• Like 1

Not having a problem with ours. Seems fine.

Our old 2016 Cruiser seems ok too.

• Like 1

Doh! Sorry. Another senior moment.

I think I must be overwhelmed as so little has gone wrong with this van so far.

I treated it to an Alko soft jockey wheel yesterday as I couldn't find anything that needed fixing.

Will this euphoria last?

• Like 1

Will this euphoria last?

I'm sure it will last, ours is still very good with no complaints whatsoever, apart from the noseweight.

I am looking at doing something with the front locker door opening height, it will go well past the horizontal position it currently is at. The lifters are fairly reasonable to purchase not really wanting to resort to a hold up stay rod effort.

• Like 1

Doh! Sorry. Another senior moment.

I think I must be overwhelmed as so little has gone wrong with this van so far.

I treated it to an Alko soft jockey wheel yesterday as I couldn't find anything that needed fixing.

Will this euphoria last?

The ALKO pneumatic may not lift into the housing completely and will keep catching on the road. We swapped ours for the hard rubber wheel which does lift up a few more inches.

• Like 1

I'm sure it will last, ours is still very good with no complaints whatsoever, apart from the noseweight.

Sadly about to get worse with calor dumping the calor light cylinders.

• Like 3

Speaking of noseweight, I'm about to buy a (preferably calibrated) noseweight gauge. I haven't towed our Buccaneer Galera yet as I was waiting to change the tow-car, now done.

I'm looking at the Milenco offerings: the 'standard' one goes up to 130kg, and another, less easily obtainable, does 400kg. Now, my engineering background has me believing that the calibration is probably most accurate in the middle of the spring range so, for a nose weight of around 130kg, the Heavy Duty one would be better. However, I also reckon the measurement scale will have better resolution on the 130kg one. My car's published towbar weight limit is 140kg, though it can be increased if speed is limited. I'm aiming for an initial noseweight of 120 - 130kg on the 'van so I'm expecting the 130kg gauge to be OK.

Any help to make the decision easier between the two gauges will be gratefully received!

Cheers, Andy

• Like 1

Sadly about to get worse with calor dumping the calor light cylinders.

Have purchased a 7. 5kg Safefill cylinder, just going to carry the one and fill when it gets half down or so.

Speaking of noseweight, I'm about to buy a (preferably calibrated) noseweight gauge. I haven't towed our Buccaneer Galera yet as I was waiting to change the tow-car, now done.

Any help to make the decision easier between the two gauges will be gratefully received!

Cheers, Andy

I have the ATSensoTec off ebay from a seller called seaflo-uk, £49. 00 Digital battery operated rated to 150kg should have gone a bit higher.

• Like 2

I'm looking at the Milenco offerings: the 'standard' one goes up to 130kg, and another, less easily obtainable, does 400kg. Now, my engineering background has me believing that the calibration is probably most accurate in the middle of the spring range so, for a nose weight of around 130kg, the Heavy Duty one would be better. However, I also reckon the measurement scale will have better resolution on the 130kg one. My car's published towbar weight limit is 140kg, though it can be increased if speed is limited. I'm aiming for an initial noseweight of 120 - 130kg on the 'van so I'm expecting the 130kg gauge to be OK.

Cheers, Andy

Advice from Caravan Club website may help:

3) What is noseweight, and how important is it?

Car manufacturers quote a maximum permitted noseweight for each car model, which is the maximum caravan hitch weight permitted on the car towball. It is important that this is not exceeded; however, it is equally important for stability that the caravan noseweight is heavy enough, and it is recommended that the optimum for stability of the outfit when towing is generally found to be approximately 5-7 per cent of the caravan’s ALW (generally between 50 and 90kg).

You can appreciate that car manufacturers quoting a maximum noseweight of 50kg or less will restrict the choice of caravan quite considerably. Caravan manufacturers often quote a noseweight limit too - check this is compatible with the 5-7 per cent recommendation.

• Like 1

Any help to make the decision easier between the two gauges will be gratefully received

Cheers, Andy

I use to tow with a xc90. No problems at all, enjoy your new van and car.

Edited by simon645
  • Like 2

The ALKO pneumatic may not lift into the housing completely and will keep catching on the road. We swapped ours for the hard rubber wheel which does lift up a few more inches.

It is the hard rubber Alko I have bought Ian. It is a slightly greater diameter so you are right about it reaching down a bit more but road clearance is quite adequate. I just replaced the appalling supplied unit. I think the stem is Winterhoff.

Cheers, Andy

I have the standard one Andy and I load to 125kg and she tows very well.

I agree with your interpretation of Hook's Law though.

All I can say is that the standard continues to serve us well and once you get used to using it and can"sense the bounce" as it settles you develop an intuitive feel for what is right, end of the range or not.

Graham.

• Like 2

Many thanks for all replies - very helpful!

'Hook's Law' Graham - well remembered (I certainly didn't). Interesting that the "5% - 7%" guide, for a 2000kg max weight Buccaneer, gives a range of 100kg -140kg, so Graham's 125kg is (almost) in the middle. Whatever the theory says, I'll go with actual experience so 125kg it is!

I'll get the standard gauge and do a bit of 'bounce familiarisation'.....

Cheers, Andy

• Like 1

I have tried, 110 through 135 using the Milenco Precision Calibrated Nose Weight. For me 125 seems to be the most stable for my Navara and easily achievable in its current load pattern

• Like 2