Camping & Caravan Club Wifi

I have just bought a one year subscription for wifi at club sites. I am now at the Chertsey site and have got on the internet to say that it is slow would be an understatment its all but stationary! How have othere members found it? I am podting this on my phone using 4g as I can't even get on the Caravan Talk site using wifi

Alan

I have found it fine. Others have not. I have wondered if some equipment works better than others. Maybe try a different browser. I use Chrome and have been well pleased as we are away a lot on CC sites. Worked fine on our small laptop and on our Samsung tablet.

Have you checked to T&C of their WiFi now only it used to have restrictions on media websites that used high data .

Edit

Just checked it still is with content filtering and no streaming like utube or iPlayer and only for browsing and emails .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

I have found it fine. Others have not. I have wondered if some equipment works better than others. Maybe try a different browser. I use Chrome and have been well pleased as we are away a lot on CC sites. Worked fine on our small laptop and on our Samsung tablet.

I think Alan is on a C&CC site, not a CC site. We have an annual pass for the CC network and get mixed results, depending what time of day it is and how many are on site. Can't comment on the C&CC's offering though.

I have streamed the odd bit of youtube when trying to remember who sang a song etc.

I have just bought a one year subscription for wifi at club sites. I am now at the Chertsey site and have got on the internet to say that it is slow would be an understatment its all but stationary! How have othere members found it? I am podting this on my phone using 4g as I can't even get on the Caravan Talk site using wifi

Alan

Where is the Caravan Club Chertsey site located ?

The C&CC have a Chertsey site but the nearest Caravan Club site to Chertsey seems to be Crystal Palace.

OP has stated it is C&CC in the title, not CC.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

OP has stated it is C&CC in the title, not CC.

Unless the topic title has since been amended I probably misread the topic title due to the automatic capitalisation of the And. It also seems that I wasn't the only contributor to believe that the OP was referring to an alleged CC site.

I haven't altered the title but it is very clear to me that it reads what it reads.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I haven't altered the title but it is very clear to me that it reads what it reads.

Or what to me, and others, it misreads. :rolleyes:

I think people are just homing in on the last words - Caravan Club Site. Maybe the title could be changed to read "Wifi Camping & CARAVANNING Club site" then the confusion may disappear and some constructive answers be forthcoming.

Have visited the C & CC site at Chertsey many times and no longer bother with their wifi as it is worse than useless. Makes the CC wifi look superfast!! I now use my phone as a hotspot as you can get 4G there and I can connect my iPad and MacBook to it. I still pay the £25pa for the CC wifi as it can be OK on some sites but I wouldn't bother with the C & CC system.

I think people are just homing in on the last words - Caravan Club Site. Maybe the title could be changed to read "Wifi Camping & CARAVANNING Club site" then the confusion may disappear and some constructive answers be forthcoming.

That would be impossible as with good reason this forum does not allow "shouting" (ie all capitals) in topic titles which is why CC is displayed as Cc, and MPG shows up as Mpg etc. :rolleyes:

Back on topic and when on holiday I rarely if ever need access the Internet, and if I do I will use my phone because there is no way I am prepared to pay for wifi when I can do the occasional Googling for free.

Ex-Tenter.

Or maybe "Camping & Caravan Club Wifi" if its ok with Alan

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

The phone number for the site when put into the BT DSL checker shows they should get

ADSL 5Mb

ADSL2 11. 5Mb

FTTC 76Mb

There are few places with plain ADSL so assuming it is ADSL2, 11. 5Mb should give something half decent. Like the CC I would guess the C&CC do not give priority to wi-fi so will not pay for FTTC which would make everyone happy.

My limited experience of CC sites is that they often have multiple wi-fi base units all on the same frequency which will (i) likely cause interference which will slow things down and (ii) if the outstations are repeaters they will also possibly (depending on config) each halve the data throughput rate.

If you have an Android smartphone download Wi-fi Analyser (free) and have a look see what is happening. If there are multiple stations on the same channel take you phone or tablet and go stand next to the aerial on the office and try it there. Pound to a pinch of salt it will be a darned site faster.