Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your help and advice thus far. The caravan is coming along, and will hopefully be going away in it soon.

The chassis on my Sprite compact (early 80's) has rusted and needs restoring. It's ok in terms of welds, towing, etc, it just needs looking after and repainting.

I just wanted to check that this is what should be done;

1. Remove rust and old paint with wire brush

2. Treat the steel with rust eater (Does anyone recommend a brand and where to get it. I've seen KURUST in Halfords, but has anyone used it?)

3. Paint with rust resisting paint (I found a can of metal spray paint with rust protection in Lidl for £3. 99 - is it worth a try?)

post-81195-0-24339500-1471019578_thumb.jpg

4. Stand back with cup of tea and admire handiwork.

Please let me know if i've missed anything off, or if you think there's something I should do differently.

FERTAN to kill the rust and Rustoleum paint. I think the paint is a similar formulation to the old Hammerite but is far superior. Homebase do the paint but the Fertan we get on line.

Edited by Tuningdrew

Front of Chassis

Front of A Frame

Rear of Chassis and left stabiliser

Rear of Chassis

I took these this morning, do you think it would be something I could handle (from a DIY point of view) or is it worth forking out and getting someone else to do it?

Depending on how long you intend keeping the van, you could underseal it

Bitumen or wax based underseal of the kinds used for motor vehicles are not suitable for application to the wooden components of a caravan floor as their solvents can react adversley with the adhesives used to bond plywood, although they could be used to coat the metal parts of the chassis itself to prevent stone chipping.

My recommendation would be to remove any loose rust, then treat with a rust dissolver and use a cold galvanising spray to finish any exposed metal parts.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

It looks like you posted your images at the same time as I was posting. Having looked at them, I would think your chassis is perfectly feasible to clean up as it looks just like no more than surface rust with no structural problems but only you can decide this once cleaned up. It will take a while but rubbing back to rust free metal with a wire brush will confirm this. Then use the galvanising spray I suggested earlier on the corner steady legs, as they look galvanised already, and add a couple of coats with a good quality "paint" such as Hammerite on the main chassis members, being careful to avoid any moving parts and the wooden flooring.

Gordon

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

That's brilliant. Thanks

Can you paint on top of the galavanising spray or do you buy it in colours?

Trying to get it back to its original white (will take a bit of doing though!)

So,

Galvanising spray on stabilisers,

Wire brush back all the rust on chassis,

Apply rust dissolver,

Paint with hammerite/rustoleum paint.

Thanks, i'll probably start work in september (hoping to take it away for my birthday over the bank holiday!)

The cheapest form of rust remover is molasses diluted about 5:1 (available from animal feed suppliers) best results if immersed in a bath, but continual painting it on and keeping it wet will remove all the rust, ( you can still use the van though a touch sweet smelling, watch out for insects :lol: ) When the rust has gone wash off and coat with Fertran or similar and paint with a marine epoxy paint system for steel hulls. Blakes or International both have excellent results and long lives of up to 10years

Can you paint on top of the galavanising spray or do you buy it in colours?

It's silver/grey (the colour of zinc) but dries almost instantly as the propellant evaporates, and can be painted over if you wish, although it can also be left, as is and should still provide years of protection. Below are a couple of images from my boat chassis that was treated some years ago after welding.

Boat chassis Winch Mount WP_20160813_002.jpg Boat chassis Winch Mount WP_20160813_001.jpg

However light or deep seated that rust is, there is a lot of work in tackling it. Unless full restoration is an aim in itself, I would be spraying something like Waxoyl on, as this is quick to apply and is very effective at slowing rust, although spraying more than one coat may be necessary on heavier corrosion. The solvent flashes off fast so I wouldn't worry about the the effects of over spray on the wood floor