Sign in to follow this  
Rosie7733

12N Socket On Car With Extra Grey And Pink Wires - Why?

Just checking wiring and undoing the 12N socket on car I find the wiring ok but to the side of the socket there is an extra bit (isolator???) with pink and grey wires to it. Does anyone know what they are for??

Hi Rosie

It would be helpful if you could supply pictures of the extra part, then we may be able to determine what it is.

When you look at the socket is there a tiny switch which is pressed in when you put the plug in. If so it may be to disable rear parking sensors if you have them.

More than likely a switch operated by inserting the 12N plug into the socket. Historically its function was to isolate the rear foglamp(s) of the towing vehicle when a trailer is attached, and reduce glare in the driver's mirror. Pin 2 remains live to feed the trailer foglamp(s) when they are selected from the towing vehicle.

Gordon.

Some sockets have a switch built-in to them which isolates the reversing lights, rear fog-lamp or even the reversing sensors on the car when the caravan is plugged in to avoid dazzling you when going backwards.

It depends how your wiring has been carried out. Dedicated wiring usually does this by communicating directly with the car's wiring via the Can-Bus, whereas bypass relays can't do this automatically

Edited by matelodave

It's to cut out the reverse lights on the rear of the car when you have a caravan hitched on. Otherwise the reverse lights tend to reflect on the front of the caravan tending to 'blind' the driver.

PS - Sorry - 3 of us wrote more or less the same thing all at the same time.

Edited by Jaydug

It's to cut out the reverse lights on the rear of the car when you have a caravan hitched on. Otherwise the reverse lights tend to reflect on the front of the caravan tending to 'blind' the driver.

Sorry this cannot be as the reversing lights are fed via the 12S socket not the 12N socket.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/caravan-advice/new-to-caravanning/electrics-guide/12-volt-systems

Gordon

Hi, found this diagram on the Interweb which shows the bit I mean - labelled C and D on the right side, but site does not say what the grey and pink wires are for.

post-79869-0-69748300-1470223890_thumb.jpg

Hi, found this diagram on the Interweb which shows the bit I mean - labelled C and D on the right side, but site does not say what the grey and pink wires are for.

That's a 13-pin plug - not a 12N which only has 7 terminals.

• Like 1

That's a 13-pin plug - not a 12N which only has 7 terminals

Hi, yes I know but it was only diagram showing the bit on the right side that I am querying. However, I have now attached a photo of the socket from my car showing the blue bit I am asking about. It had pink and grey wires to it, but I have no idea what they are for.

post-79869-0-29408600-1470231005_thumb.jpg

That is the suplimentary switch to turn off the rear fog lights when the black 7N plug is inserted, as previously stated by several other contributors.

If you turn on your car headlights and then turn on the rear fog lights, by pressing the switch on the 7N socket you should see the rear fog lights go off.

As you have removed it from the car, if you safely insolate all the other wires you have disconnected and then turn on your head lights and rear fog lights you should find that with the pink and grey wires seperated the rear fog lights don't illuminate, if you then touch the grey and pink wires together the rear fogs should come on.

Sorry this cannot be as the reversing lights are fed via the 12S socket

Stupid me! I must be getting old. . :wub: . .. I should have said the fog lights!

Yes as said i've had the switch to turn off the fog light in the past