Hi thinking of putting a cover on the van this winter can anybody tell me the pros and cons of this also do i need to leave some form of ventilation to stop condensation

Les

Protec cover are breathable I have now bought two. No problems with them at all. They are not cheap and can be fitted to your van they have door access and nose access if you want . Some people will say don't cover but I do because I hate cleaning the darn van and the amount of bird pooh and dripping from the tree on our drive gets me steamed up. So when March April comes I have a clean van ready to go. Also they do an easy fit system that gives you two poles and a Velcro opening flap at the back so two of you just pull the cover over.

• Like 1

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

tags: inspirational, optimism, perception, pessimism

I am the one that says" Dont Cover" as I would be afraid of abrasions/scratches when the wind gets up, I may be wrong and I am sure someone will be along to put me in my place

Les

Our van resides on a coastal pitch in North Wales, we are able to leave it on its pitch through the winter. Although there are no overhanging trees the roof is difficult to keep clean because it is totally flat and holds water. I have thought about buying a cover but never quite got around to it.

Our neighbour on the next pitch did put a cover on his van last winter. It was a decent one, not sure of the make but one of those with the Gortex type out layer with a fleece like lining. Being coastal we are subject to all kinds of weather especially high winds which can be quite demanding on covers.

The winds were so strong that three of the five under chassis straps broke on our neighbour’s cover, luckily we have a really good all year around site warden who made temporary repairs to the straps which kept the cover in place. The point being that this sort of windy weather causes a lot of movement of the cover and this is when damage can be done.

When cover was removed at the start of this year’s season there was no damage at all, in particular the windows were not in any way scuffed or marked, I was surprised and impressed. I think this is down to the quality of the cover and in particular the internal lining which is designed to allow movement but without causing damage.

On the basis of this experience I’d say covers are OK, if you get a good one. Without a cover on my van it has taken two weekends to clean the roof … maybe I should invest in one.

We cover, with a ProTec - It was attempt number 5 to get the fit right - we even visited their workshop for them to measure, and still got it wrong - However, it's not a "Standard" van and it now is a good fit.

We have an AC unit on the roof of the van and when the cover is fitted, all water drains off because of the additional "hump"

It's done two winters under the cover, and has came to no harm so far. It will be getting re-covered this winter.

It's easy to fit (the entire back panel rolls up) it keeps the van clean & dry. It's never damaged the van. Just make sure you don't drag it through the dirt before fitting.

Al.

What do you do about all the 'protrusions' on the roof, such as chimney cowls, aerials, solar panels, etc?

. Protec shape the cover to fit all of those. The one we have now needs a solar panel ( clear piece) putting in so it will charge through the winter they will do this for me as long as I give them the measurements or mark the cover where it needs to be. They also stated they wouldn't let their staff work with dirty covers so if it was covered with bird doo doo they literally wouldn't touch it!!! Hey and neither would I !!!!

I never cover - don't really see the point. They are made to be outside. I don't cover my car and that has a similar outdoor life.

I'm not sure that's a good comparison to make, for 2 reasons.

I don't know your exact circumstances, but most people's cars probably get used at least once every day . .. so it would be completely impractical to cover it.

And secondly, very few cars have damp problems . .. but quite a few caravans do!

I'm sure if for some reason you wouldn't be using your car from October to April, or it was a soft-top that might have issues with damp . .. then I think many owners would be thinking seriously about using a cover.

John

• Like 1

I'm not sure that's a good comparison to make, for 2 reasons.

I don't know your exact circumstances, but most people's cars probably get used at least once every day . .. so it would be completely impractical to cover it.

And secondly, very few cars have damp problems . .. but quite a few caravans do!

I'm sure if for some reason you wouldn't be using your car from October to April, or it was a soft-top that might have issues with damp . .. then I think many owners would be thinking seriously about using a cover.

John

good points well made.

• Like 1

We have had a Protec cover on the van for the last 3 winters,absolutely no marks on the van anywhere.

Simple to put on using the poles provided. The only downside we have found is it must be handled with care

when putting it on as it can tear quite easily.

Apart from this it,s a good product & has saved me a lot of work cleaning the van each spring.

• Like 1

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

We have had a Protec cover on the van for the last 3 winters,absolutely no marks on the van anywhere.

Simple to put on using the poles provided. The only downside we have found is it must be handled with care

when putting it on as it can tear quite easily.

Apart from this it,s a good product & has saved me a lot of work cleaning the van each spring.

Hi Old Nick do you leave any form of ventilation i. e. windows on first latch or helki open to stop any condensation

Les

After years of deliberation, bought a Pro-Tec cover at the last NEC show, the spring show.

Not tried it yet, will be this November and will clean and polish the caravan before it goes on.

Came with all the protective bits for sharps etc. and 4 FOC show special wheel covers.

Did explain to Pro-Tec after it was delivered, that it would not get fitted until year end, they wanted me to fit it as soon as delivered to check it out and make sure it fitted as it should.

That would have meant the phaff of having to clean and polish the caravan (a TA) especially at an unsuitable time, I argued that due to the amount I had paid, their design and QC should have provided me with a cover that was going to fit, they agreed then for the first fit to take place in November and it was noted by their sales.

So, next winter will be the teller for us, fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

Hi Old Nick do you leave any form of ventilation i. e. windows on first latch or helki open to stop any condensation

Les

No we lock everything up,but we put 3 bowls of salt around the van this seems to do the trick as we have never

had a problem with condensation or damp. The salt is as hard as concrete when we open up in the spring having

absorbed any damp around. It certainly saves my old back by not having to clean the van in the spring.

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

Les

I don't . . The caravan itself is vented.

i use ours all year round, if i get the chance. Caravan paint and materials are nothing like a car. The cover reduces the damage caused by UV on all the plastics, not to mention all the bird droppings that get dried in.

I usually get it cleaned and polished, then cover it, never had issues with scratches, but the plastic is always looking fresh and the water traps dont get filled up with dust and dirt, that i t would if left uncovered. Not the greatest site on a driveway, but being a twin axle it helps the prying eyes from seeing what make/model is tucked under there lol

it's a marmite thing

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

We used a protec easyfit cover last year as the van is parked under a tree. We polished it before we put it on. It didn't damage the van at all. The only problem we have is the caravan is on a livery yard and it can get muddy, so it is a problem keeping the cover clean while putting it on & taking off. Therefore once it's covered it stays on. The downside is if there's a nice weekend, it's too much hassle to take the cover off again.

Ours is always covered when not in use. Strapped down securely it doesnt flap about in the wind. Ours has a zip on the front and rear left corners so only takes a few minutes to fit. We also fit a front cover when towing to prevent road dirt and stone chips marking the front of the van. Not noticed any damage to the front windows so far, the wind pressure seems to hold the cover in place and it doesn't flap about as long as I remember to tuck the tails from the securing straps neatly away.

• 1 month later...

I shall be having paint protection work on my van next week, also I shall be hoping to use my van throughout the winter,

after reading on this thread, does it mean each time I return from touring I would have to clean the van before fitting one of these cover's

Ray

Salt has been mentioned here to absorb winter damp inside the van. Another tip to help roof drainage and create a circulation of air between cover and the roof is put several plastic footballs between. You can insert these from the skylight and position them with a broom handle, before you strap tthe cover down, a tip from this forum several years back.

I shall be having paint protection work on my van next week, also I shall be hoping to use my van throughout the winter,

after reading on this thread, does it mean each time I return from touring I would have to clean the van before fitting one of these cover's

Nogger

I haven't got a cover but yes the general consensus is that the van should be spotlessly clean before applying the cover to avoid scratches as the cover moves in the wind,this applies especially to the windows.

Ian