Sign in to follow this  
mcbrucer

En Route And Noticed Tyre Damage

Looks like a kerb has taken a strip of rubber off the side wall of our near side rear tyre (it's a twin). It hasn't gone deep enough to expose the cord or anything and there is still a flap of rubber hanging on.

Question is, do I need to change the wheel over to the spare or will it get me there and back - maybe another 3 days of driving. If I need to change it, can I jack up the van with a car jack? (Why I didn't think about getting a proper jack before I don't know!)

Cheers!

Question is, do I need to change the wheel over to the spare or will it get me there and back - maybe another 3 days of driving. If I need to change it, can I jack up the van with a car jack? (Why I didn't think about getting a proper jack before I don't know!)

Without seeing the extent of the damage, for peace of mind I would suggest changing for the spare, then take the suspect wheel to a tyre fitter for advice / replacement.

You say you have a twin axle caravan, then simply draw the good tyre (next to the damaged one) up onto a ramp using your towcar. The suspect wheel should then be hanging in fresh air allowing replacement. For your safety, keep the towcar coupled until the spare wheel is fitted and the caravan lowered back to the ground.

The car jack almost certainly won't fit which is why seasoned caravanners often carry a bespoke jack for the caravan.

Gordon.

• Like 1

As Gordon suggests, it would be safer and possibly save you a lot of grief if you changed the wheel and got the damaged tyre looked at and replaced. No one can second guess if yours is safe or on the verge of failure

A blowout on a motorway, possibly in the dark or chucking rain is a lot more traumatic than swapping the wheel over in the comfort of a caravan site

Skimming a sliver of rubber off is not a problem, actually it indicates a very light touch harder contact tends to produce a cut if the kerb is sharp, however a glancing touch can just produce a sliver cut. Just keep an eye on it for a bulge in the sidewall, did it once on a car front tyre never a problem until it wore out. :)

Is your peace of mind worth the effort of changing a wheel?

I would leave it to the emergency services. That's why you pay them and why I took tbe decision to travel without a jack.

• Like 1

I had to go out hunting for some free wifi to post this topic earlier but upon returning to the van (and finding free wifi in the site bar) it no longer looks that bad to my eye. Like a silver of donner meat at the local kebab shop! Here is a piccy:

Ooh, need to figure out how to post a pic first it seems!

Edited by mcbrucer

Ooh, need to figure out how to post a pic first it seems!

The answer is to be found in the Help topics accessed from the word Help at the foot of every forum page and then scrolling down to the sub-heading "Posting", although I have given greater detail in post number six of this thread.

Gordon.