Sign in to follow this  
chrisheg

Mobile Use In France

Hi. I am heading to France for six weeks next Sunday. My mobile contract is with vodafone and whilst its eurotraveller (£3 per day to be on your normal tariff) is good it can work out very expensive for a six week period. Also site wifi can work out expensive

What do others do?

Is it worth buying a french sim card.

I tend to make few calls and texts but use data for emails, facebook, and whatsapp which we use to contact kids in SE Asia.

Advice please?

I use the sites WiFi, most sites in Europe now offer this facility and there are many sites where it is free, we don't use the mobile for calls unless we have to call the UK for Hospital Results or any emergency

We're with Vodafone and last year triggered the £3 a day on both our phones for three weeks in France so it ended up pretty expensive - this year I've bought a MIFI, a booster aerial for it and a 12Gb 3 Data SIM which lasts for a year from first use. If we switch off data roaming on our phones and presuming the MIFI gets a signal we should save about what the above cost and then we still have the MIFI and the aerial for next time. The site WIFI last year was pretty poor due to congestion I think.

I use a Three PAYG sim in my phone and the 12gb sim for a year one in my iPad, all good

Hi. I am heading to France for six weeks next Sunday. My mobile contract is with vodafone and whilst its eurotraveller (£3 per day to be on your normal tariff) is good it can work out very expensive for a six week period. Also site wifi can work out expensive

What do others do?

Is it worth buying a french sim card.

I tend to make few calls and texts but use data for emails, facebook, and whatsapp which we use to contact kids in SE Asia.

Advice please?

People who don't get it in their allowance often buy a Three PAYG SIM but this has to be active I think 30 days before you make you first call from the EU. They just use it abroad (after giving out the number) and then bin it when they come home.

http://www. three. co. uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

Edited by Tin_Snail

The Three payg sim just has to be activated\ used once whilst in the UK, this is being sent via a 12g sim activated the day we left, works better than the site WiFi, and you can take it out in the car with you on days out !!

If you migrate to one of Vodafone's current Red bundles (mention "CTR12" to customer services) they come with unlimited European roaming minutes/texts and an inclusive roaming data allowance that's generally 25% of the UK allowance for the given package. They're generally a couple of quid more than non-Red/last year's packages, but for how long you're away that'll soon work out cheaper.

NB Vodafone don't loop data back via the UK to throttle it (unlike Three), and the inclusive minutes includes calls to numbers in the roamed country, not just back to the UK.

Edited by Disco4

With a PAYG phone it was only. costing me 1p. to send a text and 4p. a minute to phone home from France last month. Wi fi was free at most places we went - and the wi fi was sometimes good enough to use Skype free of charge too. I am never tempted to spend more than that.

Another vote for THREE, both for calls and data. Worked well in France, mostly on SFR and Bougytel networks.

Russ

• Like 1

We are on O2 contracts for phones in the UK, but we have an old unlocked PAYG phone which has a "3" SIM card in it. We often need this in remote places in the UK, but it comes into its own when in a Feel at Home country. We also have a "3"MIFI, but I've sung the praises of this elsewhere so won't repeat here.

Get a Tesco PAYG SIM which is charging the same rates in Europe as at home until September.

• Like 1

I have a Three all you can eat data contract. Feel at home is active in France, so I just use my phone as I do at home.

Good luck.

With a PAYG phone it was only. costing me 1p. to send a text and 4p. a minute to phone home from France last month. Wi fi was free at most places we went - and the wi fi was sometimes good enough to use Skype free of charge too. I am never tempted to spend more than that.

That's how we do it too!!!! Though we are on Talk Mobile Contracts at £7:50 a month. G.

Edited by chapmag

The Three payg sim just has to be activated\ used once whilst in the UK, this is being sent via a 12g sim activated the day we left, works better than the site WiFi, and you can take it out in the car with you on days out !!

I've a 3Gb Data SIM in a MiFi unit and a standard 10 quid voice/SMS/data sim in my phone, both of which were first used/activated in France without any problems.

I use a Three PAYG sim in my phone and the 12gb sim for a year one in my iPad, all good

Same here. OP could buy a PAYG Three sim card for the French trip and use that if the phone is unlocked. If the phone is not unlocked, pay Vodafone the £20 or so to unlock it as still cheaper than £3 a day which IMHO is very expensive. We used our Three sim card for our phones with no issue. We also have the Three Mifi which is a great bit of kit and worked for us while in France.

Asda payg sim and buy a bundle for £10 or £15, loads of texts and data, no difference in price than here!

A Three pre-loaded sim 3/6/12GB does not need activating before leaving the UK as many have confirmed on various threads. .

Same here. OP could buy a PAYG Three sim card for the French trip and use that if the phone is unlocked. If the phone is not unlocked, pay Vodafone the £20 or so to unlock it as still cheaper than £3 a day which IMHO is very expensive. We used our Three sim card for our phones with no issue. We also have the Three Mifi which is a great bit of kit and worked for us while in France.

As I said, the new Vodafone Red contracts (which would cost approx £3-5/month more than the OP's older contract) include the Euro roaming without an addition £3/day fee. It can be a tough decision for the usual couple-of-weeks-away user as you save £3/day for 14 days as against spending £3/month for the year. However if you're away for 6 weeks & happy with the Vodafone service, it makes sense to do the migration. I've nothing against migrating to Three if there's other motivations for doing so, but for a contract customer it no longer makes sense to do so on the basis of getting free roaming.

I used to be with Vodafone but moved to a family 1-month contract with Tesco Mobile for our family of 4, which is MUCH cheaper.

Tesco Mobile is now an even better deal as there are no extra charges for France (and most of Europe) until September - same cost as at home, same inclusive calls, texts and data. Brilliant!

Edited by Rolling Stone

That's how we do it too!!!! Though we are on Talk Mobile Contracts at £7:50 a month. G.

I'm with Talk Mobile too - and my phone bill is rarely enough to even talk about. My OH has a Tesco mobile, and his French calls and texts are included in his monthly allowance, and so even 'moderate' use never exceeds his allowance.

We've had free WiFi on our campsites, so far, and now at 'home' in our village, we have free WiFi 24 hours a day at the Mairie. Tourist information offices have free WiFi, as do many larger supermarket 'malls' and even benches in one village near us have WiFi available (which is why all the teenagers meet there!).

I'm with Talk Mobile too - and my phone bill is rarely enough to even talk about. My OH has a Tesco mobile, and his French calls and texts are included in his monthly allowance, and so even 'moderate' use never exceeds his allowance.

We've had free WiFi on our campsites, so far, and now at 'home' in our village, we have free WiFi 24 hours a day at the Mairie. Tourist information offices have free WiFi, as do many larger supermarket 'malls' and even benches in one village near us have WiFi available (which is why all the teenagers meet there!).

The catch here is that much so-called 'free' wi-fi is actually supplied by Orange France who seriously limit what you can do, e. g. surfing is about all, no mail clients, no Skype or VoIP etc etc as they loose revenue.

Why does everyone assume we all have smartphones? There are very very few non-smart mobiles that have 3G on board and are thus able to use Three.

What do others do?

Speaking personally although I have a roaming facility with the phone and loads of data available, when I'm on holiday, I am on holiday! I will therefore turn the phone off whether in this country or abroad, because for me that's what a holiday is all about - a break from the stresses of everyday life.

Okay, I accept this may not suit everybody, but it works for me. Just consider how we survived before we had mobile phones.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear but you did ask ;)

Gordon.

Holiday - An extended period of leisure and recreation, especially one spent where you cannot be contacted from home or work.

Agree with Gordon. My iPad is little use to me abroad as I don't tend to look for wifi. My three contract on my iPhone saved me big time this year after a ski accident. Used it for FaceTime the family when in hospital, to speak with the insurance company, sort out the holiday cancellation (insurers don't bother sorting any of the small details). If I hadn't have had my phone, my family or friends would have had no idea that I was in an accident, no idea how serious it was and no idea where I was, or when I was expected back at the airport for collection. Of course, if an insurer is involved, you can claim lots of the costs back but it's so much more peace of mind to have a phone and know that if you need it, and won't sting you for using it too.

I can't Praise three any more than I already have. They have helped me in many a sticky situation abroad, even when my car broke down and it had to be taken to be repaired. I've saved into the thousands using it.

I'm on three as I switched from Vodafone. ... They kindly didn't tell me I was incurring data charges abroad and welcomed me home with a £500 bill! Never again!

Before I switched contracts, I used lefrenchmobile services, they were great too. Excellent service.

Why does everyone assume we all have smartphones? There are very very few non-smart mobiles that have 3G on board and are thus able to use Three.

Our old 2006 Nokia has 3G so no issue there however we do not use it for connecting to the Internet as we use a Mifi which is several years old now and can get 3G.

I can use our 'free' Wifi for more than just 'surfing'. I can email, download anything I'm likely to want to download (we're not heavy users of downloads and like Gordon, above, tend to switch off our phones more than we have them on) and have managed for about five years, to carry on my part-time job, on-line, using only free WiFi.