Rac Breakdown Cover

JaneSteele

Hi

I know strictly speaking this isn't insurance, but RAC breakdown cover, however I thought I'd share this experience as it may help one or two in a crisis.

All our cars and trucks etc, are covered by comprehensive RAC breakdown cover. For some reason best known to himself my OH decided to ring RAC to confirm the situation re caravan recovery if our towing vehicle breaks down. We will be towing within UK for a week or two and just wondered what would happen to our precious caravan if the truck decided to throw a wobbly.

We're glad he did ring. The telephone operator said in event of a breakdown, the vehicle would be recovered, but not the caravan, they would leave that at the roadside, because over 4m they didn't have any recovery trucks big enough. If we joined the Caravan and Camping Club however, then they had a reciprocal agreement and our caravan would also be recovered. Well that didn't stack up to start with, they either have suitable vehicles or they don't. Mick got a bit hot under the collar, threatened to join Green Flag, AA, Blogg's Roadside Assistance - whatever.

As the voice of calm and reason in our household, I called the RAC back, having checked their website and breakdown terms and conditions very carefully. This is what I found on page 8.

*If the Vehicle should break down whilst towing a caravan or trailer We will recover Your Vehicle together with the caravan or trailer. If Your trailer or caravan breaks down then We can arrange for the recovery of Your trailer or caravan but You will be liable for the recovery costs. Please refer to page 15 of the term*

also on page 10, the maximum size covered for recovery.

* Caravans /Trailers 3. 5 tonnes 7. 6 metres (25ft) including tow bar Width 2. 3 metres (7ft 6in)

So I got a nice lady on the phone and asked what would happen if our tow vehicle broke down.

Oh, she said, your tow vehicle is covered, but your caravan isn't.

Not so, I pointed out and read her the page from the web site. Silence. Well I asked, it says clearly on your web page if the tow vehicle breaks down, both vehicle and caravan will be recovered without extra charge. The RAC on the phone, didn't seem to be differentiating between the vehicle breaking down and the caravan breaking down, whereas they are 2 different breakdown scenarios. If your caravan breaks down and you want the RAC to remove it from the roadside, unless you have Camping and Caravan Club membership, they will charge you - fair enough. But I was trying to clarify what would happen if our truck broke down (we tow with a Nissan D22 - they have been known to throw the odd con rod).

Anyway after an hour on the phone, a supervisor was summoned and the RAC clarified that if your vehicle breaks down, your caravan is covered for recovery as long as it is within 7. 6 m

They are supposed to be sending us an email to confirm this.

I hope no one needs this clarification, but if the unthinkable happens, you don't want to be on a mobile phone on the hard shoulder of the M whateve, in rush hour, trying to argue the toss with the RAC

Cheers Jane

Edited by JaneSteele

We had a similar thing Club Toyota promise the vehicle and anything attached will be attended, when we hit a big foot traffic cone in lane one of the 2 lane sections of the M65 the cone was flattened by the car, but skittled under the caravan and jammed folded over just in front of the axle, having only just recover my license following a stroke I didn't fancy climbing under the van to try and free the cone with lorries and trucks thundering past just feet away. a call to the RAC who provide assistance for Toyota had me told that they wouldn't be attending as it wasn't a vehicle problem, but a phone call to club Toyota saw a much different response with a RAC priority call booked and us back on the road in less than an hour, perhaps Toyota value their customers more than the RAC value theirs?

Edited by flashgordon

Best to get breakdown insurance that covers you if just the caravan fails - if you are a member of the Caravan Club their Mayday service (Green Flag) will do this, but I'm sure there are others.

Had a problem departing from a UK site last year when the caravan brake lights failed. Green Flag responded in 45 minutes and after about an hour's fiddling with connectors the engineer fixed the problem.

We had a ride home from Clumber Park on the Green Flag lorry with the van in tow several weeks ago. No problems, if's or but's . They just came and did it.

Having checked cover out, Mayday cover is excellent, but we are halfway through our RAC year. Am still considering cancelling RAC and going with Mayday, just for peace of mind. Jx

Thanks Jane. ..interesting read. ..am not covered by RAC any longer,in direct form, but Mayday. However, I had a problem some 5 years ago when RAC was called out as my Insurers Recovery Service. ......they turned out promptly but wouldn't leave the farm track to the field we were on as 'our vehicle isn't suitable so we are not allowed to'...However, with the CC Mayday they will send 'someone' with a vehicle suitable even off a muddy field, if told.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I was with the RAC for many years and when I phoned them about the situation with for the caravan they just ended up switching my remaining term to RAC Arrival (i. e. the C&CC version) and sent me a new memb card. I'm with the CC and not the C&CC. Not much persuasion required from what I remember. I find the close association with touring club membership peculiar.

Having checked cover out, Mayday cover is excellent, but we are halfway through our RAC year. Am still considering cancelling RAC and going with Mayday, just for peace of mind. Jx

I am just reading this post and I am in the same situation as you, looks like I will be cancelling RAC membership I have been with them for 15 years

I am just reading this post and I am in the same situation as you, looks like I will be cancelling RAC membership I have been with them for 15 years

If you had joined the right section of the RAC (Arrival) in the first place, you would not have to change.

The problem can happen if you breakdown they will recover a vehicle and caravan if attached but if you are out for the day and the car breakdown then the car will be recovered possibly home but the caravan could be left on site . Mayday or Arrival will cover the caravan and if you broke down the car would be taken back if you wish and collect the caravan or if you broke down the caravan could be taken to the site and car to garage and collected at the end of your holiday .

Peace of mind.

Dave

If you had joined the right section of the RAC (Arrival) in the first place, you would not have to change.

We have been with the RAC for 30 odd years, currently pay £120 pa, have commercial vehicle insurance ( husband deals motors) and do not expect to have to quibble about their own cover to them. Their tele sales team should know what is covered. We were left with the strong feeling they knew very well, but were loathe to admit responsibility. It took them an hour to admit our caravan was covered for recovery if the truck packed up. We don't have to change, we are covered, but shouldn't have to fight to prove it. Sorry, but RAC's response just isn't good enough.

My aim with the post, was to draw it to the attention of other people who may be in the same position as us. RAC may not admit to cover, but yes you are covered if tow vehicle packs up. Jx

Edited by JaneSteele

Think its a bit late now Steve might even try and give RAC a call tomorrow

Just noticed that RAC (Arrival) only cover vans up to 7. 6mtrs long ours is 8. 5mtrs so looks like CC Mayday wins the day

The maximum legal length of a touring van in the UK is 7 metres excluding the draw bar unless it is being towed by a vehicle over 3500Kg.

The RAC Arrival will recover any legal van

Special benefits for caravans, trailer tents and trailers include:

• Caravan breakdown recovery on any UK campsite.
  • Cover for large units over 7. 6 metres (25ft) in length or 2. 3 metres (7 ft 6 in) in width.
  • If your caravan cannot be towed and requires recovery on a flatbed truck, RAC will recover it at no additional charge*.
Edited by Steve W77

Steve W77, you've missed my point, it isn't about what or which company to change to. My point was for all those currently with RAC, in the same position I am in. If RAC give misleading info over the phone and tell people they are not covered when they are, then I am hoping to highlight that with this post.

Cheers Jane

I have not missed your point, I simply ask why would anyone who tows a caravan take out breakdown cover that does not include cover if the problem is with the van and not the car?

The RAC state quite clearly that they do not cover the van if it breaks down or has a puncture or loses a wheel, unless you are an Arrival member.

Just because one member of their staff was not completely conversant with their policy, seems a bit over the top to advocate changing the service provider.

Have you questioned all the other providers? were all their staff fully conversant with their terms?

I have not missed your point, I simply ask why would anyone who tows a caravan take out breakdown cover that does not include cover if the problem is with the van and not the car?

The RAC state quite clearly that they do not cover the van if it breaks down or has a puncture or loses a wheel, unless you are an Arrival member.

Just because one member of their staff was not completely conversant with their policy, seems a bit over the top to advocate changing the service provider.

Have you questioned all the other providers? were all their staff fully conversant with their terms?

Two members of their staff actually. My husband called and I called, so if 2 separate phone calls to two separate operators gave the same info, then chances are others will.

And. ..... I never advocated that anyone should change their policy, so yes you have missed my point. It being, under a normal RAC cover, your caravan is covered if your tow vehicle breaks down.

Up till April of this year, we have only had an old van, which we never really towed very far. Now we have a new van, which we are towing across country this summer, but were already into our RAC term. So not that strange a situation and I'm sure others might be in the same boat.

I realised the caravan was not covered for breakdown and didn't have a problem with that, what I wanted confirmation on, was the fact the caravan would be taken somewhere safe if the truck broke down. This is covered, but RAC seem reluctant to admit to this.

I'm delighted you clearly feel Arrival offer a good service and wouldn't question that, I'm sure they do, but I wasn't shopping for a new provider, merely trying to establish that my current provider provided safe harbour for my new van if the truck broke down.

Just as an aside and to explain to you why not everyone might be in Mayday or Arrive, my husband deals with a lot of different vehicles over the year, our RAC policy covers this, the caravan orientated ones do not.

Cheers Jane

Edited by JaneSteele

I thought Jane's first post was self explanatory and good advise, we should always check with breakdown companies on what's covered.

I'm with mayday for the same reason that she stated rather than green flag cover

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Just as an aside and to explain to you why not everyone might be in Mayday or Arrive, my husband deals with a lot of different vehicles over the year, our RAC policy covers this, the caravan orientated ones do not.

Cheers Jane

I am sorry, but you are wrong again, my Arrival cover is valid for both myself and my wife in any vehicle even if only as a passenger anywhere within the EU.

I am sorry, but you are wrong again, my Arrival cover is valid for both myself and my wife in any vehicle even if only as a passenger anywhere within the EU.

Wrong again - where was I wrong before?

Mayday, do not cover the trade vehicles we drive, Arrival will cover any vehicle, so yes, I accept I can have more comprehensive cover through Arrival.

BUT MY POINT WAS I already have cover with the RAC if the truck breaks down and this information was difficult to establish. I can pay another £37 if I want to and join C&CC thus upgrade to Arrival and I may chose to do that, or I may not.

I just wanted to highlight to others in my situation, that their caravans will not be left on the roadside, if their towing vehicle breaks down, despite what two separate RAC telephone advisors told me.

Really, I didn't need a lecture on joining the right part of the RAC in the first place, because in the first place, Arrival was not relevant or necessary.

But thank you for taking the time to point all this out.

Cheers Jane

Hi

I know strictly speaking this isn't insurance, but RAC breakdown cover, however I thought I'd share this experience as it may help one or two in a crisis.

All our cars and trucks etc, are covered by comprehensive RAC breakdown cover. For some reason best known to himself my OH decided to ring RAC to confirm the situation re caravan recovery if our towing vehicle breaks down. We will be towing within UK for a week or two and just wondered what would happen to our precious caravan if the truck decided to throw a wobbly.

We're glad he did ring. The telephone operator said in event of a breakdown, the vehicle would be recovered, but not the caravan, they would leave that at the roadside, because over 4m they didn't have any recovery trucks big enough. If we joined the Caravan and Camping Club however, then they had a reciprocal agreement and our caravan would also be recovered. Well that didn't stack up to start with, they either have suitable vehicles or they don't. Mick got a bit hot under the collar, threatened to join Green Flag, AA, Blogg's Roadside Assistance - whatever.

As the voice of calm and reason in our household, I called the RAC back, having checked their website and breakdown terms and conditions very carefully. This is what I found on page 8.

*If the Vehicle should break down whilst towing a caravan or trailer We will recover Your Vehicle together with the caravan or trailer. If Your trailer or caravan breaks down then We can arrange for the recovery of Your trailer or caravan but You will be liable for the recovery costs. Please refer to page 15 of the term*

also on page 10, the maximum size covered for recovery.

* Caravans /Trailers 3. 5 tonnes 7. 6 metres (25ft) including tow bar Width 2. 3 metres (7ft 6in)

So I got a nice lady on the phone and asked what would happen if our tow vehicle broke down.

Oh, she said, your tow vehicle is covered, but your caravan isn't.

Not so, I pointed out and read her the page from the web site. Silence. Well I asked, it says clearly on your web page if the tow vehicle breaks down, both vehicle and caravan will be recovered without extra charge. The RAC on the phone, didn't seem to be differentiating between the vehicle breaking down and the caravan breaking down, whereas they are 2 different breakdown scenarios. If your caravan breaks down and you want the RAC to remove it from the roadside, unless you have Camping and Caravan Club membership, they will charge you - fair enough. But I was trying to clarify what would happen if our truck broke down (we tow with a Nissan D22 - they have been known to throw the odd con rod).

Anyway after an hour on the phone, a supervisor was summoned and the RAC clarified that if your vehicle breaks down, your caravan is covered for recovery as long as it is within 7. 6 m

They are supposed to be sending us an email to confirm this.

I hope no one needs this clarification, but if the unthinkable happens, you don't want to be on a mobile phone on the hard shoulder of the M whateve, in rush hour, trying to argue the toss with the RAC

Cheers Jane

So if you have a problem with the caravan, you are stuck? We have Mayday cover through the Caravan Club and cover starts at £65 per annum and they will recover a 8m caravan. We added a second vehicle so the cost is £86 per annum.

The cover includes any breakdown with the caravan where the towing vehicle is okay so they will change the wheel on the caravan if you have a puncture.

In addition, they also have onward travel and will take you to your destination and then recover you again at the end of your holiday. , Bargain in my opinion.

As for AA and RAC there prices are rather high in comparision and when we once tried to use the RAC once in 1993 for a breakdown using an international breakdown cover, they refused to help.

Cheers Jane

Arrival covers the UK you need to take out European cover to extend it .

The same as Mayday only covers UK and you need Red Pennant to cover Europe.

Dave

Arrival covers the UK you need to take out European cover to extend it .

The same as Mayday only covers UK and you need Red Pennant to cover Europe.

Dave

The same membership number and emergency numbers covers both if you have paid the correct premium

If you want Breakdown for UK and Europe for 12 months it is under £100 with the German ADAC Organisation. for caravan up to 10 metres long. + you are covered on all vehicles you drive.

• 1 month later...

I have RAC EBC (European Breakdown Cover) This covers my car and caravan for the UK and the Continent.

I paid £208 this year for 3 weeks Red Pennant cover with the CC and thank goodness I did, as we broke down in France.

However, It then took the CC 3 Weeks to recover the car and caravan. Using the Red Pennant service was convoluted and poorly organised I am afraid to say, I had to offer suggestions to them as to what to do!

Friends of ours broke down in France last year (we were with them) and RAC acted quickly and efficiently recovering both car and caravan to our destination so we could carry on and enjoy our holiday. Had the car not been repairable, they would also have recovered it to the UK at the end of the holiday, along with the caravan.

I took out the RAC EBC policy following this year's episode with my outfit and it costs £172 for the year:

It covers the car and any caravan or trailer attached to it. Because we are also members of the C&CC, the caravan length can be over 7 Metres without problems.

Maybe I will look closer at the CC Mayday for next year, having read the posts above - If the cover is comparable, it seems a much cheaper option. That said, I wouldn't want tot have to go through the same process as this year as it was a bit of a nightmare.

• 4 years later...