Sign in to follow this  
conorandlucy

Aqua Rolls In The Sun

Ditto we buy a 5l bottle from the supermarket and re-fill it over the time we are away, when the handle breaks we buy a fresh one. Aquaroll water for washing up and washing down, even then we sterilize the system at the start of the season.

We often take a couple of these with us that have been refilled with our water at home. Sometimes find water on sites seems to have a higher chlorine content than what we are used to, spoils a nice cuppa!

we use bottled water for us and the dogs drinking water. The aqua roll is used for the kettle and washing. We live in a soft water area but when we tour around and come across the hard water sites the build up of limescale is quite a bit. When I had relatives living in London they always boiled the water and then kept it in the fridge to drink.

. ... in 33 years never used anything but aquaroll water for everything. ..

geoff

Just my personal opinion but if the water was safe to drink cold it will remain so if warmed up. I have always been happy to drink the water from the caravan / motorhome taps and I'm still here to tell the tale. Providing the water originates from a reliable source I believe there are only two reasons for not drinking it directly from the caravan taps; if the onboard pipework is not clean, or if there is a TCP taste as used to be the case with some older systems.

Gordon.

We drink water from the Aqua Roll, but always run the tap for 10 seconds to rid the system of the water left standing in the pipes, as it does taste TCP like.

We also use a filter jug for drinking water on some sites, as we do at home, due to Geosmin content.

After almost 50 years Caravanning, we continue to drink water from the Aquaroll, filtered by Brita jug for drinking cold and making tea. Our water system and Aquaroll are sterilised annually.

• Like 2

Similar to most on the thread . ...

we use aquaroll for washing including teeth but use cheap bottled water (2l frm tesco 17p) for tea and drinking.

Always use the aquaroll unless hooked up to the tap, and caravan system, never sterilise anything that's what causes the strange taste.

Ian

• Like 1

We don't drink unboiled water from the vans system if drawn from either an Aquaroll or the internal tank. A rudimentary system as fitted to vans and particularly one not in regular and frequent use presents some risks simply best avoided. Not a big risk granted, but neither is it one IMO those with an insight into the dangers would expose themselves to willingly.

Edited by JTQ

We do, and we also drink water that has been slopping about in the motorhome tank for goodness knows how long!

Nothing has become of us (yet)

A bit off topic, but this is a nice lead in to solar heated water. When we are off grid, we fill a few two litre pop or milk cartons with water and leave in the sun. Hot enough to wash up with at the end of the day. Saves gas and is as GREEN as the grass. Black bottles are best, I think it was Tango or something that used to have black bottles.

Russ

• Like 2

Along similar lines and not off thread. .....some years ago I was assisting at CC National @ Sandringham and was on my knees changing the filter cartridge in my,then, Abbey. .....chap walking by asked how often did I change it?...couple of times a year I suppose was my reply. ...His comments were taken to heart. .." either change it once a month or ditch the middle element completely"...turns out he was the local Medical Officer of Health,also a caravanner, he took my filter element and opened it and showed me the gunge that had collected between previous change in the February and May Bank Holiday. I never bought another filter.

geoff

• Like 2

I like special water that has been filtered through dinosaurs stomachs and then peed out for a period of 180 million years. And then spent the next 65 million years being filtered in middens, dog pee and countless other animals.

Prior to all this, my special water spent a few billion years flying at enormous speeds in the outer reaches of our solar system in an area called the Kuiper belt.

I am willing to sell to you lovely people at the special price of £1 per litre delivered.

• Like 2

The missus & I were just talking on this subject last week but not because of the heat.

We also live in an area which has exceptional water quality, gosh I never thought I would say that about Scottish Water, anyhow when we are away even in other areas of Scotland we find the water is not as good as it is at home.

Often our tea has a film floating on top of it and have considered purchasing a reputable filter system for use in the caravan.

We do, and we also drink water that has been slopping about in the motorhome tank for goodness knows how long!

A bit off topic, but this is a nice lead in to solar heated water. When we are off grid, we fill a few two litre pop or milk cartons with water and leave in the sun. Hot enough to wash up with at the end of the day. Saves gas and is as GREEN as the grass. Black bottles are best, I think it was Tango or something that used to have black bottles.

Russ

If you really want to splash out you can buy solar showers ;)

I've just bought a three @ £4 each from the Range for when we go swimming paddling in the sea ^_^

And for those who don't want the aquaroll to get so hot, wrap a silver winter screen cover around it.

• Like 1

If you really want to splash out you can buy solar showers ;)

I've just bought a three @ £4 each from the Range for when we go swimming paddling in the sea ^_^

And for those who don't want the aquaroll to get so hot, wrap a silver winter screen cover around it.

Ahh, the joys of a solar shower.

I used to tent camp regularly at the Lee Valley Park site in Edmonton North London. On my first visit, chatting to semi- permanent worker-campers. I was told that it was show time and offered a seat.

On the other side of the field, a young woman would strip off and take a shower from a solar shower, which was hanging from a tree. She did this every day!

The site showers were clean and free, but she always chose to use solar power. Green is good! :)

I often sterilise the water. 5 parts whisky to 1 part water. Never had a problem (hick).

Some very strange posts on this thread. ..

Never use water from your Aquaroll for drinking. .......really?

I must be dead or very close to it then.

• Like 1

Russ

We owned a Narrowboat for five years and never once cleaned or sterilised the water tank, the water in it would last for weeks at a time.

I wonder if people who are reticent about drinking water from Aquarolls are the same people who insist on using anti bac hand wash rather than ordinary soap?

Very little mention has been made on here of the fact that almost all water from taps is heavily chlorinated specifically to kill bacteria!

Some very strange posts on this thread. ..

Never use water from your Aquaroll for drinking. .......really?

I must be dead or very close to it then.

We do not like the taste of the tea or coffee when using water from the aquaroll.

Russ

When we living in Africa our friend had a black neoprene bag that you filled with water and then left it in the sun. Problem was that the water got too hot that it was almost scalding so you had to be careful.

There is not an establishment in this country which supplies water from a storage tank (or there shouldn't be). All drinking water in public places has to be fed direct from water supply.

Newer built factories, to save on water rates catch rainwater in storage tanks solely for toilet flush. I am not a plumber and in my case a little knowledge has made me aware that drinking water from an aquaroll is not completely safe, but on the other hand as long as it is cleaned every season shouldn't cause a problem, Me being me is erring on the cautious side and using fresh water from a capped bottle for drinking.

Each to their own.

There is not an establishment in this country which supplies water from a storage tank (or there shouldn't be). All drinking water in public places has to be fed direct from water supply.

Newer built factories, to save on water rates catch rainwater in storage tanks solely for toilet flush. I am not a plumber and in my case a little knowledge has made me aware that drinking water from an aquaroll is not completely safe, but on the other hand as long as it is cleaned every season shouldn't cause a problem, Me being me is erring on the cautious side and using fresh water from a capped bottle for drinking.

Each to their own.

The issue is not with the aquarolls but rather with the pipework in the caravan.

• Like 1

The issue is not with the aquarolls but rather with the pipework in the caravan.

Ian is correct and by Googling TCP taste in water many water companies will have advised their customers of the problems

We have had caravans since 2004. Never drink water from caravan tap, to me it tastes odd. Our latest caravan has Alde heating, as posted on this thread, there is a program which switches on in the early Hrs and takes the on board water heater to 60c. This is to combat the risk of legionella! So if manufacturers are putting in place measures to help prevent a Legionella problem, then to me there must be a concern!

At 60c 90% of the bacteria is killed instantly and with time 100%.

We use fresh water for drinking, and when in France all water for consumption is bottled. The Aquaroll can get warm especially if in direct sun light. I have never tested the temp, but legionella Bactria, starts to become active above 20c. It isn't drinking which is the problem it's inhaling it in microscopic water particles, which then produces a pneumonia-type illness and in some cases, this can be fatal!

Edited by David P