Sign in to follow this  
robertm

Tyres - 5 Years Or 7?

Just had our Van back from the service centre. Clean bill of health which I was happy with. Just had to change a gas pipe as it was over 5 year old.

I queried why there was no advisory on the tyres as they were also over 5 year old. They told me that as long as the tyre is good and there are no cracks etc. , the advice to change only comes on tyres over 7 years?

I thought it was 5, or is it at the service centre's discretion?

This topic has been discussed more than once. It would seem that the various caravan clubs have suggested that they should be changed at these times. Some tyre companies recommend that they be inspected every year for signs of ageing but that they be changed at 10 years. Having said that, one of my Michelin tyres on my car was replaced recently because of side wall cracks. It was four years old.

PS - Copied&pasted from Michelin website:-

How old is too old? The five year test

After five years or more in service, your tyres should be thoroughly inspected at least once per year. If the need arises, follow the recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer regarding replacing the original equipment tyres. As a precaution, if the tyres have not been replaced 10 years from their date of manufacture (see how to read a tyre sidewall), Michelin recommends replacing them with new tyres. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator.

See the full article here

Edited by Jaydug

I certainly thought it was five. Over the years we have had three punctures in caravan tyres, all of which were on caravans of no more than four years old and showed no signs of wear. They have all taken place on different roads. Have we just been unlucky?

I certainly thought it was five. Over the years we have had three punctures in caravan tyres, all of which were on caravans of no more than four years old and showed no signs of wear. They have all taken place on different roads. Have we just been unlucky?

What caused the punctures. Was it tyre degradation or nails etc. And 3 punctures is a bit unlucky. I have had 1 on the car which was a screw sticking in it and then 1 when it was attacked by a knife by persons unknown. I had 1 on my last caravan but that was possibly done at the factory (Lunar) because when the tyre was taken off it had been badly repaired and that was after 1 day of ownership. That was unlucky too!.

Punctures and age are unrelated, nails etc in the road are totally indiscriminate. Sidewall failure however, gets more likely as the sidewall develops cracks. Loads of different variables come into play to determine how long it takes cracks to develop and have already been discussed at length. It's all about risk management, even a brand new tyre can have a sidewall failure if the sidewall gets cut by broken glass etc. The risk then slowly gets greater over years of normal use. The risk gets greater quicker if the tyre is abused and can be slowed if the well known precautions are applied. It is entirely up to the user to decide what level of risk to accept, although the authorities may decide for you if significant cracks are visible. Advice about 5,7 or 10 years can only be advice about the level of risk. Regular inspection however, can give extra information about the actual tyre.

• Like 1

I replaced ours at 7 years. I carefully inspected them on my hands and knees with a torch (for the insides) before every outing. When I did replace them they still looked perfect with no cracks or nicks at all.

Edited by Alansl

5 years as caravan tyre sidewalls start to crack and craze,

three caravan dealers near me say 5-7years.

Tyres that have run underinflated should be checked regularly

for splits and cracking of the inner sidewalls as well.

What caused the punctures. Was it tyre degradation or nails etc. And 3 punctures is a bit unlucky. I have had 1 on the car which was a screw sticking in it and then 1 when it was attacked by a knife by persons unknown. I had 1 on my last caravan but that was possibly done at the factory (Lunar) because when the tyre was taken off it had been badly repaired and that was after 1 day of ownership. That was unlucky too!.

To be honest I don't think hubby looked to see. I am talking over thirty five years of caravanning. Two were on either side of a three years old Avondale and the second one happened about three months after the first and hubby was told by a tyre fitter that although the caravan may have only been three years old the tyre was five years old. Apparently there is some sort of code on the side wall of the tyre. He did contact Avondale about it but didn't get anywhere.

Edited by LongTimeCaravaner

Apparently there is some sort of code on the side wall of the tyre.

Yes - it's moulded into the tyre - but only on one side, so you may have to look on the inner side. Here a picture of one. According to the code the tyre was made in the 9th week of 2016.

post-261-0-40157700-1468254640_thumb.jpg

I interpret the advice as 7 years from date of manufacture, allowing 5-6 years in service - but dependent always on condition.

I seem to remember the caravan clubs advice being 3 to 5 years for high pressure tyres (i. e. large single axle - over 60psi) and 7 years for low pressure tyres.)

But it's been an age since I last checked.

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/media/1022844/caravan-tyres-and-wheels-mo. pdf

Beware that most of the advice on tyre websites is aimed at car tyres, not caravan specific.

Edited by dreadly

Ever since I had two tyres blow out at just over four years old I now change mine every three to four years.

• Like 1

Ever since I had two tyres blow out at just over four years old I now change mine every three to four years.

It's a small cost in the massive budget of caravan ownership.

• Like 1

As has been said in previous topics on tyre age, also check the car tyres for damage and cracking as well as the tread depth

• Like 1

I have seen advice on some web sites that suggests ten years as the maximum service life of a tyre. I'm not sure I would have any confidence in a tyre that old. A quote from the AA website on the subject -

Damage through ageing is more common with caravans, trailers and other vehicles only used occasionally

We all have to decide what is an acceptable Risk/Cost ratio.

Would leaving a caravan on a seasonal pitch cause tyre deterioration,

more so than a Normal tourer.

Things like UV, flats on the tyres . ....

Yes - at least marginally - on a seasonal, the tyres have the same angle to the sun every day - on a tourer, they'll be in a different position each time you tow and site pitches won't always face the same direction - so UV degradation will be higher, but by how much ?

Tyres that are used regularly are usually longer lasting than tyres that are stood in one spot for long periods, to keep flat spot damage to a minimum I rotate my caravan tyres occasionally throughout our winter layup.