Sign in to follow this  
bmwbrooks

After 38 Years

After 38 years of caravanning we have sadly called it a day due to a heart attack. Along the way we have met some very nice and interesting people some are still very good friends today. In those years we have mostly caravanned In France and Spain (Costa Brava) and covered some 100,000 miles, and had 10 caravans in that time. Caravan is sold, just a couple of odd things now left to sell off .

Keep enjoying caravanning while fit and able. I will still keep my eye on the forum.

Cheers Bmw Brooks

• Like 5

Wow that's some record to be proud of. Sorry about your condition - take great care and our best wishes.

• Like 1

Haven't been caravanning anywhere near as long as you, but reckoning on giving 2 more seasons at the most following a couple of health issues (not as serious as yours, thankfully!). May still wander off to some of the sites we like in France, but will hire a static/chalet rather than dragging the tin shed behind us.

Sorry to hear you have had to call it a day, I bet that was a tough call to make. Still, you have to think of your heath and well being that is more important then any tin tent on wheel. I wish you all the luck in the future, I am sure you will find an alternative to keep you going, log cabins and glamping seem to be all the rage. Nothing venture nothing gained I say.

:D

Wish you well in the future and at least you must have 38 years of wonderful memories.

When we took early retirement we said that unless unlucky we had ten years to do all we wanted and anything over that was a bonus. We have had thirteen so far but try to fit as much as possible as we realise our days of doing it must be coming to an end.

The last couple of years we have gone further afield abroad than previously and regret that we didn't do it earlier. So to anyone else I would say go and do it now as you don't know what is round the corner.

• Like 3

RESPECT to anyone who has the guts and good sense to recognise when it is time to hang up the keys.

We've all seen evidence of those who insist on carrying on too long. I just hope I recognise my own limits. A few years yet, I hope

• Like 4

Hope you recover from your heart attack, take it easy for a while but don't let it stop you doing what you want to, my hubby had a heart attack two years ago, followed by a quadruple heart bypass and after he recovered we decided to do more caravanning, well not towing but having store and stay, best of both worlds and no stress. Loving it and hopefully we'll have a good few years yet, fingers crossed. I think we'll know when it's time to call it a day 😊 Take care x

• Like 1

When you have been caravanning many years it can come as a blow. We have been doing it for 44 years now, and my friend and neighbours called it a day last year after 46 years. They have never felt so miserable as they do now, especially seeing us still go off for a week every month. We will be going as long as we can,but i will know when it is time to finish.

• Like 1

I had my first heart attack 28 years ago. I carried on working hard for 16 years, then retired. Caravanning has been the best thing for me and my wife, and still is.

We had to give up the caravan last year also due to health problems. We had been doing it for 40 years on and off. We sold the van and car and bought a smaller car.

We now go to hotels and cottages and really enjoy the change. The only downside is the fact that you can't really make an instant decision as you mostly have to pre-book. However, we were finding it more and more difficult to find a pitch during the busy season anyway.

There is life after the caravan! :D

• Like 2

We have been caravanning for 47 years with one short break. Went back to it 13 years ago to start travelling abroad and loved it. Not ready to give up yet still love it.

snooks

We have been caravanning for 47 years with one short break. Went back to it 13 years ago to start travelling abroad and loved it. Not ready to give up yet still love it.

snooks

Pleased you are able to carry on. Some of us are unable to.

Now look here Brookie don,t let a little heart attack bother you. I went for a check up 3 yrs ago as I was feeling iffy

only to be told that I have cancer & its incurable. They asked my wife a few questions about our lifestyle, she explained

that we spend most of our time caravanning abroad. They then advised us to give it up as I would,nt be able to

carry on much longer.

My immediate reaction was stuff that I,m going to carry on as long as I can. Now 3 yrs later with numerous more

trips under our belts I feel great & the doctors are amazed at my improvement. I can,t do heavy physical things

but I usually find help nearby ( for a couple of beers.) My wife says that I am to damn stubborn to die so we will

carry on until I do

I sincerely hope that all bodes well for the future & that you have many more years of fun ahead of you.

We have just come up from southern spain & are now visiting friends & family on the south coast for a couple of months.

• Like 5

After 10 of the worst days ever down Cornwall, when some days visibility was down to 100 yds, I too think its time to pack it all in.

All that money on van and equipment to be thwarted by the weather. If only I could persuade her indoors to go to France then I might relent. ..but vanning in GB is too much of a gamble.

• Like 1

We have a friend who was given 3 months with cancer and that was 3 years ago. He has a bucket list and has been working through it. They have been all over the world. We spent a week with them last week and had a great time. They are now on their narrow boat for a week. He looks great but as he says, you don't know what the next scan will show. He had one yesterday and we are all waiting the result.

He lives for the moment.

Now look here Brookie don,t let a little heart attack bother you. I went for a check up 3 yrs ago as I was feeling iffy

only to be told that I have cancer & its incurable. They asked my wife a few questions about our lifestyle, she explained

that we spend most of our time caravanning abroad. They then advised us to give it up as I would,nt be able to

carry on much longer.

My immediate reaction was stuff that I,m going to carry on as long as I can. Now 3 yrs later with numerous more

trips under our belts I feel great & the doctors are amazed at my improvement. I can,t do heavy physical things

but I usually find help nearby ( for a couple of beers.) My wife says that I am to damn stubborn to die so we will

carry on until I do

I sincerely hope that all bodes well for the future & that you have many more years of fun ahead of you.

We have just come up from southern spain & are now visiting friends & family on the south coast for a couple of months.

The two highlighted parts of your post go together - I used to be "insensitive" - but I'm just "Joe Blunt" since my cancer was diagnosed in 1985 - it makes most of us very "single-minded".

After 10 of the worst days ever down Cornwall, when some days visibility was down to 100 yds, I too think its time to pack it all in.

All that money on van and equipment to be thwarted by the weather. If only I could persuade her indoors to go to France then I might relent. ..but vanning in GB is too much of a gamble.

You need to go away more often for longer periods - that way you're improving the odds - when we go away for 6-8 weeks at a time, we know we'll have some days when we literally don't go outside the caravan so just save up a few inside jobs to do.

Edited by Black Grouse
  • Like 1

I had a TIA when in France in 2008. We were just chatting in a friend's van when it happened at about 10:30 pm on a Saturday night. Within an hour I was rushed some 20 kilometres to Avranches hospital and straight into a scanner. On the next Thursday, I was discharged and told that everything was OK. When I explained to the doctor that I was driving and towing a caravan, he repeated that everything was OK and that we should continue with our holiday. So that Sunday we set off for the midi-Pyrenees. Now over 80, I am still caravanning. I do agree that one should be ready to give up if the situation becomes unsafe, but not simply because of age itself.

• Like 3

:goodpost::goodpost:

carry on much longer.

carry on until I do

carry on much longer.

carry on until I do

Good on you Nick,I also have become a stubborn old sod,so I'm told! don't really believe it !

I have caravaned since my early twenties,almost continuously,with my lovely late wife,on my own for couple years after she passed away,and with the Companions club.

Now have lovely new partner and we winter in Spain,and have a week away almost every other week,but with one of us approaching eighty,and some health restrictions,the time is coming when we will have to change to a different approach to holidaying.

But we will!

Sign in to follow this