Sign in to follow this  
biteme

Keep Getting Flashed.. Not In A Good Way..!

We have just got to France and are driving to Granville and twice now we've been flashed by the cameras doing 70/110 in an 80/130 zone which is quite perplexing to say the least. . We double checked the limits for our motorhome (3. 5 tons) and that speed is fine. .

Anyone else had this at all. .? We fear a string of unfounded speeding tickets will be following us round northern France. .

Mand

I was flashed last year in France, nothing received. Once this year in France, no idea why,but doing 80mph

with caravan. :rolleyes:

I thought that if unit was 3500kg or more you were restricted to 55mph or 90kph?

DT is correct, and it's based on the gross train weight so even towing a supermarket trolley breaks the law.

But I don't know how a speed camera can spot your VIN plate :blink:

Edit: Just re-read the OP and I don't understand what is meant by "80/130" zone. Do you mean 110/130 zone where 110 is the limit during rain ?

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

I thought that if unit was 3500kg or more you were restricted to 55mph or 90kph?

The OP says her vehicle is 3. 5 tons the restriction is for vehicles in excess of 3. 5 tons. and it is a motorhome not towing!

knarf

I don't know if they can automatically reset the cameras but if it is raining then a lower speed limit is applied.

knarf

Edit: Just re-read the OP and I don't understand what is meant by "80/130" zone.

80mph/130KPH

knarf

Edited by KNARF

Thanks for the replies. . The 80/130 is mph/kph we only do 110kph or 70mph even if we can do more as we're having a lovely chilled drive and can't get to the site before 3 anyway :)

Everything we saw said upto 3. 5 tonnes then over 3. 5 tonnes. . Can't see how a camera can tell the difference unless you get flashed and they look at the pictures. . Tis very disconcerting - we've towed caravans more than driven the motorhome so are used to going slower anyway

Mand

We got flashed last year in France doing 90kph in our motorhome. Unfortunately, possibly the same situation as the OP, a sign saying that vehicles of 3. 5t or over are restricted to 80kph on that particular road whilst speed limit for all other road users was 130kph . Somehow the camera is activated possible by size of the vehicle.

• Like 1

We have just got to France and are driving to Granville and twice now we've been flashed by the cameras doing 70/110 in an 80/130 zone which is quite perplexing to say the least. . We double checked the limits for our motorhome (3. 5 tons) and that speed is fine. .

Anyone else had this at all. .? We fear a string of unfounded speeding tickets will be following us round northern France. .

Mand

It seems you have a Ducato and caravan so were you towing at the time? If so, the autoroute limit would be that of a vehicle with a GTW exceeding 3500 kg whilst towing i. e. 90kph.

Speed cameras are quite capable of distinguishing larger vehicles for a potential transgression of the limit set for such vehicles. Manual checking of the photo would be necessary to ensure the limit actually applied to a specific vehicle.

There will be no follow up as the French cannot access DVLA records to identify the RK. This is supposed to change in 2017 but Brexit may scupper that!

I do belive that the french traffic cameras can detect a speeding vehicle going in both directions! So it just may not have been your self that was caught on camera.

Andrew

It seems you have a Ducato and caravan so were you towing at the time? If so, the autoroute limit would be that of a vehicle with a GTW exceeding 3500 kg whilst towing i. e. 90kph.

Speed cameras are quite capable of distinguishing larger vehicles for a potential transgression of the limit set for such vehicles. Manual checking of the photo would be necessary to ensure the limit actually applied to a specific vehicle.

There will be no follow up as the French cannot access DVLA records to identify the RK. This is supposed to change in 2017 but Brexit may scupper that!

Ah, I can see I didn't double check my settings when I changed them. . No towing, just a ducato based motorhome, it's low profile, just a touch under 6m long so hopefully it is just a flash for a check, we kept an eye on the variable speed limits and if we were unsure chose the slower so hopefully that was the right thing. .

If the camera caught a driver going the other way they may have just gotten away with it being blocked my a big white 'van' :)

Thanks for all the help and advice

Mand

As beejay states we have no cross border agreement on fines abroad at the moment

Dave

There will be no follow up as the French cannot access DVLA records to identify the RK.

Yes they can, anyone with a legitimate reason can buy the information, how do you think the cowboy parking companies operate?

Whether they follow-up is a different matter, I've had NIPs from Belgium and Holland but they were never followed up.

Luckily for me, French privacy laws prevent cowboy parking outfits (and anyone else) tracing me from my French registered vehicles :-)

Were you travelling on a toll road? I am currently in France and spoke too a couple of people who were flashed and concerned that they had been caught speeding then they realised that they did not go through any toll booths to get a ticket when joining the toll road only when they were leaving,they have now convinced themselves that the camera was to register the vehicle.

Hopefully they are correct.

Regards Doug

Were you travelling on a toll road? I am currently in France and spoke too a couple of people who were flashed and concerned that they had been caught speeding then they realised that they did not go through any toll booths to get a ticket when joining the toll road only when they were leaving,they have now convinced themselves that the camera was to register the vehicle.

Hopefully they are correct.

Regards Doug

Ah. .. That very well could have been the case. . we managed to get back over to England without being hauled over the coals so thats a good sign. . It is a little disconcerting though - thanks everyone for responding :D

Mand