Sign in to follow this  
biteme

Calais Is A Lawless Place

We are excitedly counting down the days before we head over to France for the first time in our motorhome for the Grand Depart of the Tour De France, each time we do there is something on the news that makes us wonder if we are doing the right thing. . We are crossing on the Tunnel.

Has anyone travelled back through Calais recently? I know lots of football fans are on their way back at the moment - the story say that Desperate Migrants are breaking into lorries and Calais has been closed and the waiting migrants are stoning all the queuing cars.

If it's not striking ports and fuel stations it's the migrant situation or what will happen with the EU referendum. .

Excitement battling with trepidation at the moment. .

Hope people are still getting back safely. .

Mand

I think you're worrying unduly. When you leave the tunnel you'll immediately join the motorway. Get some distance from Calais before you stop.

Hi, Just back from a couple weeks abroad, and because of traffic, I ended up reaching Calais in the early hours. Left the motorway and set off up the 3 or 4 mile road to the ferry port. Pitch dark. I passed a car in the barrier, with police in attendance. The police directed me past the car, and I noticed there were branches underneath the car. I travelled on down the road a mile, and found that the dual carriageway was completely blocked with branches, 3 foot high. As I stopped, 15 guys came out from behind the trees, with wooden batons tapping them on the ground menacingly. I was terrified. In panic I slammed into reverse and duly jackknifed the caravan into the barrier. They swarmed around my car and made signs through the window that I was to stay quiet or my throat would be slit. After a couple of minutes a lorry arrived and they were on it in a shot. The smashed at the windscreen and tried to get the driver door open. the driver sounded the horn to attract the police further up the road, and I decided I would do the same. At that point the migrants came back to my car, smashed my wing mirrors in and signalled for me to be quiet (which I did). After another 2 minutes the French police arrived (7 of them against 15 migrants!) and the migrants disappeared. I drove on to the ferry. Nightmare. Are people aware that this is happening?? Why is it not publicised? If you are travelling to Calais or Dunkirk, I would recommend you only travel during the day, at peak times. that was the most terrifying event of my life.

I blame the EU. :D

• Like 1

Blimey, that's terrible!

Glad you made it out ok.

Oh my goodness, that sounds horrendous :( did you have your family with you? Have seen that the port was closed due to 300 migrants storming the port, what a frightening experience you've been through.

Edited by mayblossom

Hope you all have recovered from the ordeal. , we will be there in July fingers crossed.

Quite honestly we have enough of our own Thugs and the Prisons overcrowded, our NHS

cannot cope and Schools have far too many pupils in the classes.

Why can't the MP's/Government see that we are already full and do not need more people

who will add to all our own internal problems.

Can we sort out the UK before we try to be World Custodians.

Whilst I most certainly do not condone violence as a means of maintaining order this sounds like a reason to involve the French Foreign Legion never-mind the regular Gendarmerie.

• Like 1

Terrible experience.

Terrible experience.

Hope you all have recovered from the ordeal. , we will be there in July fingers crossed.

Quite honestly we have enough of our own Thugs and the Prisons overcrowded, our NHS

cannot cope and Schools have far too many pupils in the classes.

Why can't the MP's/Government see that we are already full and do not need more people

who will add to all our own internal problems.

Can we sort out the UK before we try to be World Custodians.

One could point out they are not in the UK and would not have been on a dual carriageway in Calais if they were allowed in the UK, so what has it to do with the UK Government? One could also point out that under Schengen rules they would be allowed in, but we not in the Schengen area and have a specific opt out, though may not be so under Brexit

• Like 2

I don't know why we don't just let them into the UK. I'm sure they would be model law abiding, hard working, tax paying citizens who, once granted asylum, wouldn't dream of bringing their extended family to live with them because they know the public services would be put under immense strain. :blink:

• Like 7

Dreadful experience, about as bad as you can imagine. So sorry you had to go through this. So many of us are 'senior citizens' now with the associated health issues, and this could end up with dreadful consequences. For safety and peace of mind this must be sorted or people will simply go elsewhere and French tourism will suffer further. Best wishes to you and your family, I'm glad you're safe.

So many say they get through with no issues but it does seem to be a lottery as to whether you will encounter unpleasant or even dangerous situations, at Calais in particular. It's not something you want on your mind before you go away or while you are away supposedly enjoying yourself. It's a poor situation when we race away from Calais to a point we think is safe before we stop for a break.

Gordon

I went through Calais when visiting Disneyland in February LAST year.

(It happened to be the day of the mass terror attacks in Paris with the motorway chase that went on over there)

Anyway. We docked at about 11pm French time. Nobody bothered to check anything, straight of the boat and onto the port highways out to the main motorway.

Once we got "out" the port you could quite clearly see figures at the roadside which i can only presume were waiting for lorries.
I had to take an early junction, which resulted in a red light. - I could see people in bushes to my passenger side where my girlfriend was sat and they tried to approach the car. I just went straight through the red, and continued my journey!

Thankfully, on the end return i reached Calais about 9pm and with no isues!

But its worrying, and funny how since the Referendum is up for debate they have stopped reporting about the happenings. .

Watch day 1 after we most likely "remain" and it will suddenly return to news no doubt!

Thanks for the replies - I had my wife but fortunately no kids in the car. My wife was speaking so fast to the 112 emergency services that they had to ask her to calm down. The way their faces seemed through the window, I am sure that they would be model citizens if (when?) they get in. It certainly makes you realise that if you do not have your security, you have nothing. The price of your house, the value of the pound, your job - they all mean nothing when you are sat there with your life in their hands.

• Like 4

What is it to do with the referendum? They are not Europeans, and have no right of entry to the UK whether we leave or remain. Do you think if we leave they will stop comng to Calais from Africa and Asia ?

• Like 9

Hope you and your wife are able to get over this and continue with your caravan holidays ( not going via Calais :( ) dreadful when you can't enjoy your holidays without the threat of this going on, just so pleased you were both ok and not hurt . Good luck on your next outing x

• Like 1

I must admit, I have always been a "leave", but this made me more so. Migrants will keep coming as long as the human rights laws give them a good chance of a passport here. To change the human rights laws to reduce the chance of a passport and reduce the incentive, requires the agreement of 28 countries - ie its not going to happen.

• Like 1

Hi, Just back from a couple weeks abroad, and because of traffic, I ended up reaching Calais in the early hours. Left the motorway and set off up the 3 or 4 mile road to the ferry port. Pitch dark. I passed a car in the barrier, with police in attendance. The police directed me past the car, and I noticed there were branches underneath the car. I travelled on down the road a mile, and found that the dual carriageway was completely blocked with branches, 3 foot high. As I stopped, 15 guys came out from behind the trees, with wooden batons tapping them on the ground menacingly. I was terrified. In panic I slammed into reverse and duly jackknifed the caravan into the barrier. They swarmed around my car and made signs through the window that I was to stay quiet or my throat would be slit. After a couple of minutes a lorry arrived and they were on it in a shot. The smashed at the windscreen and tried to get the driver door open. the driver sounded the horn to attract the police further up the road, and I decided I would do the same. At that point the migrants came back to my car, smashed my wing mirrors in and signalled for me to be quiet (which I did). After another 2 minutes the French police arrived (7 of them against 15 migrants!) and the migrants disappeared. I drove on to the ferry. Nightmare. Are people aware that this is happening?? Why is it not publicised? If you are travelling to Calais or Dunkirk, I would recommend you only travel during the day, at peak times. that was the most terrifying event of my life.

Awful, hope you are ok.

The very reason we are using Hull - Zeebrugge this year

This sounds terrifying. But glad to hear you can it of it OK. Will you have to claim on the insurance for the car damage?

I know it's selfish, but I'm glad this camp is in France and not the UK.

What is it to do with the referendum? They are not Europeans, and have no right of entry to the UK whether we leave or remain. Do you think if we leave they will stop comng to Calais from Africa and Asia ?

I was just agreeing about it being a blackout on the news. and how since the vote is happening there is NO news coverage. .

But ultimately, they are coming here regardless.

Edited by Zeldoz
  • Like 1

No insurance. I only had car insurance which covers the caravan for 3rd party only. Its a 2001 caravan and not worth an expensive repair. I have ordered a fibreglass kit and some Aspen White paint, and will attempt a bodged repair from the outside. So long as it keeps the water out - my caravan can wear it as a badge of honour.

• Like 3

Who moved the three foot high branches which had been blocking the road?

Its no wonder the lorry drivers are driving straight at them, when the idiots act like that who can blame them.

Peter.

Used the Tunnel in Feb, saw nothing at all, high fences until you are on the Motorway.

Used Ferry last BH weekend arriving in Calais, again saw nothing at all, high fences out of the port until you get to the exit roundabout and then non stop out to the main Motorway.

Plenty of French authorities pottering about.

Came back through Dunkirk, even stopped at Auchan for fuel again no issues and plenty of fuel.

Lots of spin and hype on the news for what appears a few isolated incidents.

I would suggest don't worry unduly and start chilling. The Tunnel exit is so quick that you will be away and on the motorway before you realise.

In Feb we stopped at Cite Europe on the way back as we were early for our train again a thoroughly pleasant experience and no one hanging about that looked out of place.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

It is a well known fact that the migrants make all their attempts to get to the UK under the cover of darkness and this has been the case for some time now. I would have thought that given this fact it would be wise only to travel during the day unless absolutely necessary. We crossed over today around lunchtime on the Tunnel and no sign at all of anything untoward except increased security checking.

David

• Like 2