Sign in to follow this  
Pondman64

Thetford C250 Toilet - Electric Flush Not Working

Hello.

I have Thetford C250 in my Bailey Pegasus Rimini and the electric flush is not working.

There is no sign of life on the flush button and when I go into the cassette cupboard I cannot see where the fuse is located. Been on various sites and they say located at back but I cannot see where.

I have taken off the plate at the back wall and can see cables to a small circuit boars and black chip. All looks clean and in tact.

I would appreciate ay assistance before I resort to calling out an engineer.

Thanks.

Martin Barry

Hi Martin

:welcome: to CT

If you take a look at the link that I have posted it might be of some help to you!

https://dl. dropboxusercontent. com/content_link/84jVl9xpBy02nl5yZwlfGINOni7vHQnmqZ90DAz9kSx0nyWrRYe0pNxtgQSjAa6i/file?dl=1

Andrew

Common problem is that the PCB becomes unseated.

Using a penknife gently ease off the (sticky backed) escutcheon on the top of the cistern case (the bit with the blue button.) Underneath you will find a piece of white plastic. Press the middle of the three 'pads' and see if there is a distinct click from the switch.

If there is no click again using a penknife or a small screwdriver gently ease the catch (the one at the back is easiest) and remove the piece of white plastic. You will probably find the printed circuit board has come out of the housing on the back of the white plastic piece. Press the small red(ish) button on the PCB and the pump should work. Gently insert one end of the board under the end of the housing that has two lugs, then snap the other end home over the single lug at that end.

Reassemble is the reverse of the above.

There is a pump fuse in the power box elsewhere in the caravan: there is also a fuse at the back of the waste tank housing accessible from outside. You can remove the piece of plastic in which the fuse is located by pulling it forward. As this is an electrically inhospitable environment it is not unusual for the fuse blades to become corroded - just pull the fuse out and replace with new.

It is all DIY capable - there should be no need to call out an engineer. You run no personal risk as it is 12V.

Edited by Woodentop
  • Thanks 1

On both occasions we had to have the PC board replaced due to corrosion and this on a 4 year old caravan!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice I will try and fix the problem.

Regards,

Martin

How do I get to the pump inside the tank as I believe that the impeller has stuck

See Woodentops reply above.

Re: Woodentops reply - This only covers the removal of the sticky facia and circuit board, plus the fuse that is located behind the cassette toilet. I've located the pump which is just inside the unit above the door and I've managed to pull it out but I've also pulled the pump away from the top hose which seems to be rigid. The impeller inside the pump is jammed so I'm looking to replace it with a new one, I just know that I will struggle to connect the new pump to the  top hose. Does anyone know if I have to dismantle the toilet inside the caravan to access the top hose. Thanks if you can help  

Update on the fitment of a new pump on my Thetford C250 Cassette Toilet:  I was told that a new pump was simple enough to install so I went ahead and purchased one today, the wiring part was simple enough but when I came to connect the pump to the fixed hose inside the toilet it wasn't as easy as first thought as the tube wasn't rigid enough and the pump wouldn't push up into the neck of the pipe, it looks like I'm going to have to dismantle the whole toilet inside the caravan to get at the fittings.  The diagram that came with the pump regarding the replacement shows an open rear view of the toilet which means that Thetford expect you to remove the toilet to get at the fittings. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get round this problem. Thetford should be strung up for inventing a system like this, thanks for your help - Alan.

There's either gonna be (just) enough slack on the pipe inside to pull down and fit to the pump ... or you are gonna have to go in from the top (removing stick on flush overlay and then the switch panel) to access it ...  possibly releasing the vacuum breaker if fixed, to permit the pipe to drop toward the pump location. 

Either way it'll be tight to access!  Skinned knuckles a guarantee.

Thetford re-designed the pump arrangement for the next 260 version.  The 250 was the one with the twin drain hose modification, I believe.

This may help: 

• Thanks 1

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately the C250 is totally different to the C260 as shown on the video, unfortunately you can't access the pump from the top as shown in the video, the pump pushes up from inside the cassette chamber through a small aperture, its impossible to see the tube you are trying to connect to without a mirror, the aperture isn't big enough to put your hand in  and when you locate the tube it isn't rigid enough to push up which means that it could leak once its connected. The tube hasn't any slack as I've tried pulling it down,  I'm determined not to let it beat me. The instructions that came with the pump clearly shows an open rear view of the toilet, I only hope that Thetford don't recommend removing the toilet to fit the pump, I e-mailed them today but no reply as yet. I don't know what Thetford were thinking of when they designed this system as it's appalling. I will let you know how I get on tomorrow - Alan

Yipeeee! All sorted - Finally managed to fit the new pump into the top hose thanks to a mirror, torch and some fairy liquid. You can understand why Thetford dropped this design and moved on to the C260 as it is appalling. Thanks to everyone that came back to me, you never know I might be of assistance to you in the future. - Thanks, Alan.

• Thanks 2

Alan, are able to give a finer details on how to remove the pump.  Mine has stopped work so need to take it out and replace. Any additional info, tips, advice would be most helpful.

regards Nigel

Posted (edited)
On 28/03/2019 at 18:22, Terryb250 said:

This may help: 

Hi, is there an inline fuse on this system as I have checked my pump on an alternative supply and it works?

Thanks. 

Edited by Sageyboy
Spelling

The guy in the video used electrical insulating tape to re-join the wires beacause he didnt have a heat source, I would have used the heat shrink supplied, you just need a cig lighter and warm the heat shrink up in the flame for a better seal..

Could anyone please tell us how we can remove a toilet cassette pump from a Thetford C250. All the videos that we have seen are for a Thetford C260 - the updated model - apparently access to the pump was made much easier on the later version.  Sorry all, I know this has already been discussed on here - but  it is proving really difficult and the only video is for the C260 - totally different.

I have had the same problem, no electrics. I read some of the posts, very interesting. 

I tried putting the conductive grease on the existing ten amp fuse, did not work. 

So I tried a new fuse added the grease and it now works OK. 

Dampness is suggest, so I was thinking of leaving the caset out of the van next winter and leaving the appurture open to vent into the van. 

Will this help? 

Is this the sticker to be removed for future investigations? 

Thanks, 

Fortyfoot 

IMG_0498.JPG

I have the problem of no electrics to the toilet, so I suspected fuse, but cannot find it, looked in the cassette box area, found wires, tucked into little plastic pocket, no fuse, check fuse board checked all &  replaced We have Sterling 554 ,2012