Sign in to follow this  
mcbrucer

Sky From Austria/salzburg

Hello All,

I have a maxview 85cm oval dish (I think thats the size) that I picked up from eBay last year thats been great so far for us in the UK and northern France.

At the time I had hoped the size of it would do the job for us the further south we ventured but I didn't really look too much into the detail.

This year, as I have mentioned on another thread, we are off to Lofer in Austria. Looking at the footprint charts now, it seems that we'll be out of luck with the maxview dish. It isn't the end of the world and really, the main reason I use it is for the radio rather than the TV - which reminds me that I need to hunt down a Sky Gnome before they all disappear - but anyway, I started wondering to myself if there are larger dishes out there that could fold down for transportation.

I stumbled across this one on eBay and I wondered if anyone reading this had tried one of these type before?

Seems big enough at 1. 2m and also looks like it goes down to a reasonable size - although probably with a fair bit of faff (not really a problem for an extended stay)

Any help / advice appreciated!

Cheers

Depends what channels you want - going by your thread title just "Sky"... but then that depends on your definition of "Sky".

Most of the Sky pay channels are on the "European beam", that is fairly generous in its reception across western Europe.

But the non Sky package channels, that are free, like BBC and ITV reception varies a lot in Europe, as they are on the UK beam. .. and you will find you will need a larger dish the more south you go. ..

Not first hand info, but south of Austria in Istria (Croatia) person with 1. 2m dish could pick up one ITV channel only from Astra 2F.

I have reconfigured my Humax box and can pick up German tv from Astra 1. Can watch Grand Prix, German Eurosport, BBC World and of course the current Euro football. Can manage without the commentary. This is in Austria, Croatia and Italy.

John

Satandpcguy - a question for you. ....

What's a good, low threshold SKY receiver these days? Any of the newer models are is the Pace 2600 and the Pace Javelin 12v still up there with the best?

For HD, is the 595 any cop?

Thanks pal

Russ

Satandpcguy - a question for you. ....

What's a good, low threshold SKY receiver these days? Any of the newer models are is the Pace 2600 and the Pace Javelin 12v still up there with the best?

For HD, is the 595 any cop?

Thanks pal

Russ

The current crop of Sky HD and Sky+HD boxes seem to be fine.

The two paces you mention were good, but they are now very very old, and if you have one that works fine then good, but being over 15 years old a few pieces inside may need replacing to function properly.

One of the issues we had in Spain was the 2a and 2b north beam. the 2600 use to be very good getting these signals, where as most other boxes, inc the Javalin, were not. Now in this area, on the new birds, that no longer have north beams all sky boxes are fine.

Currently just outside Salzburg and all the vans on site have the normal size of dish all locked on.

Our dish in a dome could find the signal but not lock on and when I looked outside we had a tree in the way.

Ian

The two paces you mention were good, but they are now very very old, and if you have one that works fine then good, but being over 15 years old a few pieces inside may need replacing to function properly.

One of the issues we had in Spain was the 2a and 2b north beam. the 2600 use to be very good getting these signals, where as most other boxes, inc the Javalin, were not. Now in this area, on the new birds, that no longer have north beams all sky boxes are fine.

It's a whole new language to me, but then again I don't have a dish.

Edited by chrisbee

We have the Satfi RV dome and are wondering how far do south in Spain we would receive a signal from Sky?. We hardly ever watch BBC or ITV so that is not an issue.

We have the Satfi RV dome and are wondering how far do south in Spain we would receive a signal from Sky?. We hardly ever watch BBC or ITV so that is not an issue.

The European beam (which has most of the sky pay channels) has better reception than the UK beam (which has the BBC ITV C4s Fives) in Spain.

In the north to mid Spain a 65cm ish dish can pick up this beam

However, the further south in Spain you go the larger the dish you require. , moving to a 90/100cm dish in the far south of Spain.

If you look at the European beam map ( http://www. satandpcguy. com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/ASTRA_2E_europe_ku_band_beam1. jpg ) it is quite constant over most of mainland Spain (with an 80cm ish dish), until the very southern most parts of Spain, when a slightly larger dish may be required. Note these are theoretical maps, and actual reception can (and does) vary, with hotsports and coldspots.

• Like 1

Well, we are setting off for Grubhoff next weekend and the question of the satellite dish has come up - to take it or not…

What I’ve not been able to find out on the web, is if we could pick up UK radio stations from mainland Europe - does anyone know?

Also and while I’m not really bothered about UK TV, with the olympics coming up I’d quite like to see a bit of that with english commentary. I’m guessing an english version of eurosport or similar might be available somewhere other than on the 2D(?) stream?

I have 2 set top boxes, a SKY HD one (non-recorder) and a COMAG 12v one SL30/12. Which one do you think I should take and what stream ought I be aiming at once I get there? I don’t really understand all this satellite stuff so any help you can give is appreciated….

Cheers

Robin.

• Like 1

There are some radio stations available on the European beam.

But BBC radio stations are on the UK beam, so harder to receiver then the European beam.

Olympics with English commentary will be on the BBC (Uk beam)

British Eurosport (European beam) has some rights, but not too sure if for this year it is live rights or just highlights.

"on the 2D(?) stream?" - Astra 2D satellite was retired a few years ago.

Your Sky HD box will only work on the Astra 2 satellites at 28 east. It will receive free and pay channels (depending which pay package you have),

The comag will only receive free channels. .. but can be used for any satellite group. But most other satellite groups have free channel, but not in english, apart from a few news channels

and which channels it gets will depends on your location and dish size. channels (like bbc ityv c4 and five) on the Uk beam may be hard to receive, but those channels on the European beam (most of the sky pay channel, and some less popular free channels) should be ok.

Radio stations such as Heart FM are broadcast on the European Beam, so you will get that.

Russ

Thanks both, that’s great - heart and such like are just what we’re after. Because I’m clearly a sat numpty, which direction / satellite should I be pointing at for the european beam?

Cheers

Thanks both, that’s great - heart and such like are just what we’re after. Because I’m clearly a sat numpty, which direction / satellite should I be pointing at for the european beam?

Cheers

UK sat TV comes from 3 satellites (2e, 2f and 2g) which are located at 28. 2 to 28. 5 degrees east of south.

Nice and easy then - thanks for confirming for me!

I used the large oval sky did in Hungary a few years ago and I could pick up some of the channels including sky sports. Now the beam has changed I am not too sure it you would get anything.