Sign in to follow this  
springtime

Alko Stabiliser Pads

I've just got a new set of stabiliser pads - knocked out the old ones and put the new ones in.

The old ones had a spacer washer in them so I've put the old spacer washers back.

I can feel that it's noticably tighter when I push the handle down with the dummy plastic anti theft towball in.

I won't be using the van for a couple of weeks, do you think that I should do a trial connection to the towball on the car before I go or should it be ok?

I'd test it.

I changed some a few months ago and I dont remember there being any spacers.

I have ordered a new set and I think they will come with new spacers. I suspect the washers are for when the pads wear, to take up the shorter length.

However this will be my first time fitting them.

I have ordered a new set and I think they will come with new spacers. I suspect the washers are for when the pads wear, to take up the shorter length.

However this will be my first time fitting them.

Read the AlKo instructions they indicate when and where the spacers are fitted, the red handle has to be split into the two individual handles and the spacers fitted to start taking up the pressure. I used a spare ball, https://www. google. co. uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwimn-vbpKDNAhWItxoKHR9lCskQFgg6MAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbaileyaustralia. com. au%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F09%2FAL-KO-AKS-3004-Stabiliser-user-manual. pdf&usg=AFQjCNGHISpRbe6LXt13KvXsCdab6P9RwA&sig2=NEgrbYTjqlQoMnf1O16zCg

Servicing and Cleaning:

CHANGING THE FRICTION PADS AND ADJUSTING THE STABILISER DEVICE

(please replace one at a time);-

1) Remove old friction pads & washers by removing protective caps (Fig. 16/ Item 1) with

the aid of a small screwdriver. Press worn out pad inwards.

2) Adjusting the stabiliser with new friction pads:

a) remove screw from top part of stabiliser handle (Fig. 16a/Item 5)

b ) fit new friction pads

c) locate AKS 3004 onto the towball

d) lower RH stabiliser handle until resistance is felt. If the arrow on the stabiliser lever is

in line with the front section on the red soft dock (Fig. 16a/Item 4 Point A) then adjustment

is not requir ed.

e) If the arrow on the stabiliser lever is in the centre or at the rear of the section of the red

soft dock (Fig. 16a/Item 3 Point B then adjustment is necessary. Remove friction pad

and fit washer (or washers) to the friction pad spindle, replace friction pad and re-check

until arrow is in line with front section (Fig. 16a /Item 4 Point A).

f) repeat same procedure for LH Stabiliser arm.

g) replace screw in stabiliser handle (Fig. 16a/Item 5).

The emotion should be b but forum software prints it as an emotion :lol:

Edited by WispMan

I replaced mine last year along with the thin washers that came with the pads, no problems since

Read the AlKo instructions they indicate when and where the spacers are fitted, the red handle has to be split into the two individual handles and the spacers fitted to start taking up the pressure. I used a spare ball, https://www. google. co. uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwimn-vbpKDNAhWItxoKHR9lCskQFgg6MAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbaileyaustralia. com. au%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F09%2FAL-KO-AKS-3004-Stabiliser-user-manual. pdf&usg=AFQjCNGHISpRbe6LXt13KvXsCdab6P9RwA&sig2=NEgrbYTjqlQoMnf1O16zCg

Servicing and Cleaning:

CHANGING THE FRICTION PADS AND ADJUSTING THE STABILISER DEVICE

(please replace one at a time);-

1) Remove old friction pads & washers by removing protective caps (Fig. 16/ Item 1) with

the aid of a small screwdriver. Press worn out pad inwards.

2) Adjusting the stabiliser with new friction pads:

a) remove screw from top part of stabiliser handle (Fig. 16a/Item 5)

B). fit new friction pads

c) locate AKS 3004 onto the towball

d) lower RH stabiliser handle until resistance is felt. If the arrow on the stabiliser lever is

in line with the front section on the red soft dock (Fig. 16a/Item 4 Point A) then adjustment

is not requir ed.

e) If the arrow on the stabiliser lever is in the centre or at the rear of the section of the red

soft dock (Fig. 16a/Item 3 Point B then adjustment is necessary. Remove friction pad

and fit washer (or washers) to the friction pad spindle, replace friction pad and re-check

until arrow is in line with front section (Fig. 16a /Item 4 Point A).

f) repeat same procedure for LH Stabiliser arm.

g) replace screw in stabiliser handle (Fig. 16a/Item 5).

The emotion should be b but forum software prints it as an emotion :lol:

No instructions received with the pads but I like the idea of using a spare towball.

I'll pop out tomorrow to Halfords and buy one.

I find it useful to have a spare towball (there's one lurking in a dark corner of the garage) then I can do this job without having to hitch up. After checking the spare ball for dimensions of course.

The shims are available from accessory dealers but sadly are not stainless steel so rust when in place which of course alters their thickness. I don't think they're for taking up wear but more for allowing for varying dimensions.

Bought a spare towball this morning. Much more resistance when I push the red handle down - reminded me of what it was like 5 years ago.

Job done - onto the next one ;)

If its not too late, I've just found my Alko book and re replacing pads it says . . . .

"Insert new friction pads from below (after first re-inserting shim washers if they were present) . . . .

Cheers

Thanks for that - new friction pads went in with the original washers - all seems ok.

I am getting a lot of groaning from the towball, but the indicator shows that the pads should be okay. I suspect that they may be dirty however what is the best way to clean them? Do they have to be removed or can they be do in situ?

Can be cleaned in situ but its much easier to pop them out.

Ping off the plastic covers on each side and using a screwdriver ideally a posidrive or philips push it in the hole and bang it with the palm of your hand or a gentle tap with a hammer.

The pads will come out and drop to the floor so its better for somebody to put their hand under to catch each one as it comes out.

If they have spacer washers on them make a note.

Cleaning is just a case of using meths or brake cleaner and maybe some fine wet and dry if necessary.

Reassemble with the washers (if fitted) and push them back in until they have clicked home.

Finally refit the plastic covers.

Job done.

Hi all I fitted a full set of friction pads to my alko today now the handle won't go down any help thanks Roy

:welcome:

This thread is over 3 years old but I suggest you adjust it by the thin washers/spacers provided. I think it is mentioned in the destructions.