Sign in to follow this  
mcbrucer

Need A Bigger 240V Tv For Elddis Avante 2013 Van

Hello all,

Our van came with a 16" avtex tv on a mount which works well but it just too small to see, particularly the EPG or any of the menus. I've also found that I carry around a sky box in case we have to use the dish and so I'd like to kill 2 birds and get a larger tv that also has a satellite receiver built into it. I'm aware that avtex do these but I cannot justify that level of spend. I don't think we've ever camped without a hookup and so I'm not worried about 12v - 240v will do fine for us.

So, can anyone recommend a decent 24" (or thereabouts - think 32 would be too large?) tv that has both freeview and satellite and would be light enough to go on the mount in our van? I have an old 24" LCD telly at home but its huge and weighs a tonne - so thats out.

Cheers!

We had the same problem with a 15in so last week we bought a 24in with DVD included but not heard of combined TV and sat. We take our Sky+ box from home with us every time but like you, we needed a bigger screen to see the on screen text. At Curry's there was only one 24in model combined with a DVD. It appears everyone now downloads films. But not us :)

My Samsung in my lounge is Freesat HD and Freeview HD, the 24" Samsung in caravan is Freeview HD.

I would think only large size TV will have Feesat.

A quick online search only shows the Avtex 21. 5" TV with Freesat built in at £389. All the rest of the TV's with Freesat built in are 39" and above, which a TV of this size is far too big for any caravan even the 8ft wide Buccaneer's.

Assume you won't be fitting the new TV to the swing arm in the Elddis!

geoff

Cello have a choice of Free to Air satellite TV's, Freesat seems to be loosing favour, Samsung had a few from 32" but most now gone, I was looking for a new home TV about 60" but very few have Freesat built in now, why do these manufacturers think we all have or want Sky tuners, my Freeview is very bad so use a dish and Freesat on my now four year old Panasonic ( positively ancient by todays standards :lol:)TV

Satellite TV lists here http://www. sghomeleisure. co. uk/TV-DVD-Combi-12-24V-DC-240V-AC

Cello have a choice of Free to Air satellite TV's, Freesat seems to be loosing favour, Samsung had a few from 32" but most now gone, I was looking for a new home TV about 60" but very few have Freesat built in now, why do these manufacturers think we all have or want Sky tuners, my Freeview is very bad so use a dish and Freesat on my now four year old Panasonic ( positively ancient by todays standards :lol:)TV

Satellite TV lists here http://www. sghomeleisure. co. uk/TV-DVD-Combi-12-24V-DC-240V-AC

http://www. freesat. co. uk/get-freesat/all-tvs

They are not 32" or under which was the OP's request.

Read in conjunction with the Quote I put in my post it is a list of the remaining TV sets with Freesat built in, just trying to be helpful.

• Like 1

Read in conjunction with the Quote I put in my post it is a list of the remaining TV sets with Freesat built in, just trying to be helpful.

Yes, but not big enough and the list isn't comprehensive as non are above 55", as one becomes older one needs a larger set to read the subtitles of these foreign movies now popular, did think about a projector but the angle's wrong :lol:

Vision Plus do small screen tv's with freeview and freesat.

Another alternative is something like this. .. freesat module. It will even record onto a USB stick.

This has an HDMI output so could be hooked up to a 22" or 24" computer monitor with HDMI input (many have this).

It could also work out much cheaper than a conventional tv. :)

Edited by texterted

I had the exact problem as the op.

Provided Avtex was too small at 16", then later i was having issues seeing text on the 20" sony.

I looked at buying a 24 or 27" but very few were HD which is what i wanted, not HT ready.

Because i've got the room i ended up buying a 32" smart samsung TV, i can even record to a usb if i want, or use playback. I use that in conjuntion with a Humax box. Because of the popularity its actually, or was cheaper to buy a 32"HD set than a 27" none HD (HD ready).

At the time Sony also did a 32" smart TV with sat and freeview.

Use this one with a freesat DVR if you want freesat.

http://www. pcworld. co. uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-audio/televisions/televisions/samsung-t32e390sx-smart-32-led-tv-10137096-pdt. html

Edited by xtrailman

I second the Cello traveller range, although the satellite is Free To Air rather than Freesat which means the channels get stored in the order they are found, rather tthan the Freesat order, and you only get a Now & Next tv guide on satellite.

You do get a full guide on Freeview, plus a built in DVD player.

I use the 19" model but there is a 24" one, (also a 26") see here http://www. celloelectronics. com/products/product_overview/75/C24EFF_Traveller

I have just purchased a Vision Plus 23" It works well on a Sky dish using its own built in decoder. It also has a built in DVD player. I believe that they are available in 18" and 21". Mine was just under £300.

Vision Plus do small screen tv's with freeview and freesat.

Vision Plus sets are free to air HD not Freesat, Freesat is a UK TV EPG and the channel numbers are arranged as in Freeview with the same channel numbers where applicable, there are more channels on Freesat than Freeview but Freesat does not use all English programs available on free to air. Aldfi/Liddl and B&Q sell these in kits including cable and dishes with a 3 year warranty which seem to be a bargain compared with e-bay and Amazon, I've had one for 5 years with multi satellites installed for the van and use it as a bedroom tuner when I wish to watch a program not available on Freeview

Thats only 720p not 1080p. :)

We've got this one and the picture is brilliant. Not sure if it suits a wall mount though

http://ao. com/product/28lf491u-lg-tv-grey-35710-108. aspx

Do not understand this in spec. "720p HD Ready"

Wonder if it is a several years old model.

It means its not full HD, and will require an external HD reciever to give HD.

Most full HD sets will be 1080p, apparantly HD is best viewed on a 32" and above, although Samsung do or did sell a 22" full HD.

Edited by xtrailman

It means its not full HD, and will require an external HD reciever to give HD.

Most full HD sets will be 1080p, apparantly HD is best viewed on a 32" and above, although Samsung do or did sell a 22" full HD.

According to the overview it has a Freeview HD receiver built in but the screen resolution is only 720 instead of 1080 vertical pixels in full HD, the smaller the screen the less the pixels impact on the viewing perception, an HD external receiver will not improve screen resolution, bit like a loudspeaker, the sound out of a 3" speaker will not improve by changing the amplifier

Edited by Dartman 1

According to the overview it has a Freeview HD receiver built in but the screen resolution is only 720 instead of 1080 vertical pixels in full HD, the smaller the screen the less the pixels impact on the viewing perception, an HD external receiver will not improve screen resolution, bit like a loudspeaker, the sound out of a 3" speaker will not improve by changing the amplifier

That's exactly it. The screen quality is better than the 37" 1080p that we have in the house. Friend has just bought one and he is amazed by the resolution, and he has in effect 'stepped back' from a 1080p tv in his van.

I was just chucking this out there as an option, but if. not suitable for anyone, then that's fine

That's exactly it. The screen quality is better than the 37" 1080p that we have in the house. Friend has just bought one and he is amazed by the resolution, and he has in effect 'stepped back' from a 1080p tv in his van.

I was just chucking this out there as an option, but if. not suitable for anyone, then that's fine

Much depends on the screen software as to the perceived picture quality as well as the actual screen and its backlighting.

A "HD ready 720" that the OP referred to does not have a HD tuner, but will give HD from an external source with a HD tuner.

The OP was i believe asking a general question.

A "HD ready 720" that the OP referred to does not have a HD tuner, but will give HD from an external source with a HD tuner.

The OP was i believe asking a general question.

Don't know which TV you're on about but this is the TV I was referring to http://ao. com/product/28lf491u-lg-tv-grey-35710-108. aspx?WT. srch=1&WT. z_MT=viglink&WT. z_RTM=PHG&WT. z_CN=10l1110&WT. z_AG=Blogger&WT. z_AT=as posted by milkymarsh