Sign in to follow this  
Mogwyth

Recommendations Wanted.

Right some of you will remember the disaster my mate made of buying a van, well we managed to get it sold on for a fair chunk of what he paid for it and he is now having our 'van and we are getting a newer one,.

So we are looking at a 2007-08 and a budget if around £8,000, 4 berth, fixed bed, plus all the usuals, weight/size not really an issue

Any thoughts on any of these:

Sterling Elite Onyx

Bailey Senator Wyoming

Swift CHALLENGER 540

Sterling Eccles Jewel

We had a 2007 Sterling Eccles Jewel and it was brilliant except for the bathroom design. It was very spacious and we didn't have any problems with it in the 4 years or so we had it. Very comfy and very nice inside

My recommendation is that it doesn't matter what you buy, do a damp meter check before buying and thereafter once every six months.

As for the rest of it, over to you and others.

Good luck,

Pete

• Like 3

My personal thoughts are that, as we have already done 3 times, we look at the vans and decide ourselves.

With all due respect to people here, I would never ask advice on a caravan of people who I don't know and have never met.

We have our own reasons for buying a van and our own criteria. The criteria are nearly unique so other peoples views are of no use to us.

But this is a personal view only, and it applies to sites as well.

• Like 2

Cheers, Happy Jack, bathroom is similar to our old un as you say not brilliant but we lived with it.

Damp meter is in the car BOAC, we are buying a warranted 'van form a dealer so you would hope it wasnt needed!

Wispman, what you say is true and I wouldn't buy one just on someone else say so, however it is worth knowing what others think having owned and used a van and if there are any known issues to look out for.

• Like 2

Go with whichever of those on your shortlist you can find in good condition at the right price. And key to condition is dry!

Elddis ????

Swift challenger 540 is a cracking van pound for pound best in its class

• Like 2

No Elddis in stock locally.

We are fairly limited round here dealer wise, local Hobby dealer has only one van in the layout we want and and it wasn't brilliant. Second hand dealer on Anglesey had some in but are all overpriced, one we considered was £7700, £700 over guide price, and while sound was most definitely well used if guide price is for an 8/10 this was about a 5! dealer we are off to tomorrow is an hour and half away but does have some good clean stock and choice that seems competitively priced, could mean no negotiating though lol

Cheers Swfty.

A forum is the last place I would look to for recommendations about buying a caravan. I have found that a lot of posts are about what to do when something has gone wrong so that's not a good thing when looking for a van as it tends to look as if all makes have a lot of problems. I don't think many people post about how great their vans are as opposed to lots posting about how bad they are. Bailey springs to mind as one make that seems to get slagged off a lot on here but they are probably one of the most numerous vans around so can't be that bad surely. I've had quite a few vans of various makes including Coachman and Lunar and have been happy with all of them in the end. Choosing a van is too subjective a thing in my mind. In my opinion, and only my opinion the only way to choose a van is see lots of them and take your time. It can be as simple as the colour of the curtains or the size of the fridge that decides it in the end.

• Like 1

It's a true saying ! One mans' food is another mans' poison.

It should be down to your choice but keep that damp meter handy, even when buying a warranted caravan.

Me personally, I'm delighted with my 2007 Coachman but it's not got a fixed bed, but I don't want fixed beds anyway as I prefer to have the extra space inside the van during the day.

• Like 1

Mogwyth, you haven't got too far to travel, Venture St. Asaph, Clywd LLangollan or Flintshire Caravans Queensferry been around them all recently and seem to have good stocks of decent looking 'vans.

Already said I am not going to pay based solely on anyone's say so.

Thanks lunar Flintshire didn't bother to reply to my email and are a bit to far away, going Abergle way tonight to J&j didn't know about venture, Llangollen could be too far as well. We live far north west wales.

As you should see I have a Sterling Eccles Onyx from 2005. Maybe not the same layout as a later Elite, but we have kept ours as it suits us. Only one small damp issue around a side window which was easily corrected. This is only my opinion, but I do think caravans from the era you are thinking of buying were better put together than some today.

If you look at a Sterling that has a permanent bed, then take a close look at the bed slats with the mattress removed. I have replaced the original full width ones with dual slats over the two halves of the bed and a consequent increase in sleeping comfort.

My wife says our has a brilliant Stoves oven, which heats up very quickly and evenly. She wouldn't like a newer caravan with a Thetford oven having read some reports of their poor performance.

Good luck with your search.

John.

Your nose should tell you a lot. ...you can tell if anything untoward the minute you open the door.

geoff

p. s. Bought 9 or 10 caravans over the years,only had two with damp. ..both new.

Edited by shipbroker

damp is the main thing with any caravan. You know the layout you want and folk on here will tell you their preference. I would get it from a reputable dealer, insist on a damp report and warantee, you will know if it's been looked after when you see it so now it's just the price. BTW we used to have a challenger 540, it was a good 'van for us

There seems to be quite a few makes of caravans on the forum where the owners say they're cracking :ph34r:

ok I'll get mi coat :blush:

• Like 1

Sterling Elite Onyx 2008 with motor mover was our favoured one, has a few minor issues and one not so minor which is damp in the corner by the bed locker door, looks like it is coming round the locker door, said he would have it addressed, sticker price was £8500, he came down to £8000 with 3month warranty!

Seperatly we have put in a cheeky best offer on a 2009 Swift Charisma 610, that we looked at a few days ago.

• Like 1

This is what I do when I look for a car, it also works when looking for a van.

Look on ebay/autotrader caravan finder, visit dealer, see what you like the look of and go see it.

Check for damp and if ok buy it. What I like in a van will be different to everyone else.

Ive had a few caravans, including a senator wyoming. Well built caravan indeed. I do recommend it.

But as everyone else has said- its all about personal choice and damp test.

Buy from a dealer close to where you live so when / if you have warranty issues you don't have to go far to have them remedied.

Sound advice but we have now been to 7 dealers within 90 minutes of home, 6 either had nothing in our price range or were over priced and tatty, the one that did had three, only one we fancied it has damp in one corner as my previous post the fact we had to point it out to home is worrying.

All I have to say is that I would never again buy a van where you have to walk on the shower tray to go to the loo!!!

+1 here. . We had a dealer special of the same van - was the second best we've had (of about 8) we've tried all sorts of layouts over the years and really liked this one. . front seats still roomy enough to seat 4 adults without that annoying bit of wood on the end to catch your ankles on while chilling at night :) bed is big enough with loads of storage, oven good, kitchen counter and cupboard space perfect. . Loved the swivelly telly mount so you can watch in bed or in the lounge without moving it, usual access door under front bench for muddy boots, slide out occasional table at the front for when you need it. . We had a mover fitted as it on the heavy side to be pushing around but loved it. . Our BEST van was the Challenger 580. . I was fed up of having the cut off side of the bed :P

Hope you find the perfect van for you but I think you can;t go wrong with all of your chosen van's - good luck :D

Mand

Sound advice but we have now been to 7 dealers within 90 minutes of home, 6 either had nothing in our price range or were over priced and tatty, the one that did had three, only one we fancied it has damp in one corner as my previous post the fact we had to point it out to home is worrying.

Just be patient. If you tell the dealers what youre looking for they will try to stock something for you. Also, summer is the most expensive time to buy.

Its one hell of an expensive mistake to make.

Itll be worth it in the end.

Sign in to follow this