Review: Kia Sportage Gt Line Awd

jonjosar

I had looked at the previous model but found it a bit light in kerbweight and small in passenger area. This model now has a 2200kg max tow. Its got a large boot, is extremely well finished for the price, The 134 bhp is adequate, not massively powerful but more than enough for solo and towing my 1500kg van. The new model feels like a real step forward in design and solidity. I have been very impressed with the entire car and its overall road manners. No squeaks or rattles yet to mention and the engine is relatively quiet for a diesel.

Click here to view the towcar review

• Like 2

Sterling Elite Emerald

glad to see a review on how the sportage tows. i have ordered the same model as you,was a bit of a punt not knowing how this vehicle tow. but looking at how the tucson tows and it is a bit lighter and softer on the suspension than the sportage would normally mean that the sportage should be a better option as a tow car. mine doesnt arrive till 1st of september so cant wait to get it out with the van on. does it tow really well with 1500kg behind it because my next purchase is a new van and if that is so then it opens up a lot more vans for me to choose from. what van do you have at the min

regards

learoy

• Like 1

TBH Learoy, my van is probably a wee bit more fully loaded but it doesnt concern me. I've been towing for quite a while and its as good a tow car as i've owned, certainly more accomplished than my previous RAV 4 which i liked. The Sportage definitely has a more stable feel to it while as i said, it wont win any races, its got more than enough poke for me and its certainly ample with the van on behind it. I,m heading away again in a couple of weeks time so i'll let you know how i get on again. PM me if you want to know anything else.

• Like 1

Sterling Elite Emerald

• 2 weeks later...

As a bit of an update on how the Sportage tows, I've been out a couple of times now with the caravan and It has performed pretty much as i hoped it would. Todays conditions were wet and windy and it still felt stable. In 5th gear on a level road, its sitting about 1750rpm and around 50mph. It will pull from just over 30 mph in 4th so its torquey enough. Dont get me wrong, this is no V10 Touareg or Q7 but i continue to grow to like the car with and without the caravan.

• Like 1

Sterling Elite Emerald

• 1 month later...

Do you have a figure for the actual Ken weight? I have been struggling to get any sense from Kia!

• Like 1

2016 Swift Challenger 580 and Mitsubishi Outlander 2. 2 GX4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi eltel, this is a lift from a previous post. ..

"I managed to get the time to run the car over the weighbridge.

It gave a reading of 1840kg with me as the driver so i weigh about 120kg, give or take the odd Chow Mein or Tikka Masala so that makes it 1720kg. That was with nothing else in the car except standard equipment, eg spare wheel etc and 1/3rd tank of fuel.

KIA quote min. kerb weight of 1662kg and a max. of1831kg so i'd hazard a guess that its pretty accurate."

Providing the weighbridge is accurate and tbh, i've no reason to believe it isnt as this was a commercial weighbridge (theyd be doing themselves out of money if it isnt accurate)

Sterling Elite Emerald

• 5 months later...

Have a look at your log book, this will tell you the kerb weight.

Do you have a figure for the actual Ken weight? I have been struggling to get any sense from Kia!

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.