Sign in to follow this  
Ado

Jump Leads To Leisure Battery

Hi peeps.

If a leisure battery went flat or less than 50% whilst on hols, as a quick way of getting some charge into the battery.

Can you charge with jump leads straight from a car with the engine running?

Cheers

You could try, but you'd have the run the engine for a long time to make it worthwhile. If you were lucky you might get 10-15a/h back into the battery in a hour but probably less - it depends how good the charging system is and how good your car battery is.

Don't whatever you do disconnect the car battery whilst the engine is running, you'll destroy the alternator.

It would save the day but I guess the car would need to run for at least half an hour and at more than tick over, but as a way of saving your holiday it would work.

I have in the past selected a caravan battery same size as the cars, and I have with engine stopped swapped the batteries and even jump started the car off the other battery. However today there are so many things which get upset when you disconnect the car battery, car radio for one, so today not really an option.

As to just connecting two together with jump leads without engine running you run risk of getting flat battery on the car as well, and with engine running it would take a long time. Without using special stage or pulse chargers from 50% to 75% will likely take an hour, but from 75% to 100% likely will take 10 hours.

There is also a variation due to how long a battery has been discharged, so leave your head lamps on and get a jump start an hour latter and your battery could be up to 75% in an hour, but leave your boot lamp on and find out two weeks latter then after a jump start unlikely battery even 50% in an hour.

I would think on balance likely cheaper to take the battery to a garage to be recharged, than pay for the petrol to charge from the car. Plus less hassle.

Thanks for the replies.

After looking back at my original question I don't think I have asked the correct question.

I know all the in's and out's of car running and length out time etc.

What I actually wanted to ask was, simply will it do the leisure battery any harm, will it stand the higher charger rate?

Cheers

Hi Ado

To answer your question, it won't do any harm to either battery, and as for standing the charge it won't be

very high charge current, in fact the leisure battery will only draw the current it needs !

Thanks for the replies.

Question answered!