Running The Fridge Off Car Battery.

Golfnut

The super-duper fridge on my Unicorn is rated at 170watts at 12v - that's quite a lot and pretty close to the 15amps that a lot of cars are fused at.

Sorry no its not on my fridge, nor on any other caravan fridge i've owned.

The 12volt element is rated 130 watt at 12v DC (my model)

The 230 volt mains element is rated 135 watt at 230volts AC.(my model)

Any increase above either of those figures will give more power, under less power.

"12V" is a nominal figure, always has been.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Are you finding it difficult to admit you have got it completly wrong?

I don't have the same problem thankfully.

Are you finding it difficult to admit you have got it completly wrong?

I don't have the same problem thankfully.

No - I've known for a very long time that battery voltages are nominal - applies to many types of battery.

Car systems, based on lead-acid batteries, could equally have been known as 14v systems - the caravan on-board power supply runs at 13. 8v, if it's a proper charger it's 14. 4v-14. 8v just like the car alternator.

Edited by Black Grouse

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

The super-duper fridge on my Unicorn is rated at 170watts at 12v - that's quite a lot and pretty close to the 15amps that a lot of cars are fused at.

This why the 12 v compressor fridges are so much better with low consumption 45 w and you can save gas and use a solar panel in the summer months .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

No - I've known for a very long time that battery voltages are nominal - applies to many types of battery.

Car systems, based on lead-acid batteries, could equally have been known as 14v systems - the caravan on-board power supply runs at 13. 8v, if it's a proper charger it's 14. 4v-14. 8v just like the car alternator.

Thats not what you was saying earlier, you where saying the fridge element was rated over 14 volts, it isn't and never has been.

It requires only 12 volts to obtain the quoted wattage.

Didn't mean to start an argument when I started this post guys but you can't beat a good healthy discussion. Thanks for all the interest, if I ever find what the problem has been I'll let you know.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info guys, we didn't have this problem on our previous Bailey Pageant. I'll try some of your suggestions next time we take it out of storage. Kev H do you always have the master switch on when towing ?

Yes master switch set to on, on the lexon and never had a problem with fridge ( unless I forget to select battery) the older vans I had changing to battery was automatic when plugged into the car, that was so much easier than having to remember!!

Going away today so will check the van with the master OFF before we go to see if it still works and report back

Edited by Kevin H

Kev H<p>Ford Transit Custom Campervan closely followed by a Lunar Lexon 640

Lucky enough to be able to store the van at home so the night before we leave we put some frozen veg in and connect to the mains.

In the morning the fridge and small freezer are filled then master switched off. Power switch and battery buttons are pushed and illuminate with a red warning light and warning bleep telling me there is presently a fault.

As soon as I start the engine the warning light goes out and off we go.

A lot depends on the wiring as a lot of cars no longer include the battery charger and fridge as standard now.

Kia Sportage KX4 2Lt

Lunar Quasar 524

Powrtouch Evolution Mover

Yes master switch set to on, on the lexon and never had a problem with fridge ( unless I forget to select battery) the older vans I had changing to battery was automatic when plugged into the car, that was so much easier than having to remember!!

Going away today so will check the van with the master OFF before we go to see if it still works and report back

I can confirm on our Lunar Lexon it matters not wether the master switch on the panel is on or off, the fridge works, as soom as the car engine is switched off in either position the fridge started bleeping.

Kev

Kev H<p>Ford Transit Custom Campervan closely followed by a Lunar Lexon 640

Thanks Kev I'll have to double check ours next time we take it out.

Mike

I never use the 12 volt to run the fridge during towing. I start off with a full freezer and, as the 6. 5 week holiday I returned from on Monday finish with a full freezer. No problem with things thawing on journey. Even the small bags of frozen peas remain frozen on a typical 3 or 4 hour tow.

I always run the fridge on gas! Have done for fifty years,early fridge only had gas.

Now I suppose I will get an avalanche of reasons why I mustn't do it,fire risk and all that.

I used to switch off on ferry to Spain but I seemed to be the only one,I know the rules and the alleged risks.

• 4 years later...

Help,lunar quasar,new 13 pin bar and electrics fitted,when car connected panel in caravan says no vehicle battery connected,so tried friends car that we know works on his van,still no joy,called repair man he plugged in his transformer and hey presto fridge works on 12 v any suggestions would be helpful thanks.

A caravan fridge shouldn’t work when connected to the towcar until an onboard relay detects in excess of 14 v (so only when the alternator is being driven by the engine) To prevent the starter battery being drained. 

A good trick given to me by a caravan techie to see if the fridge is getting power when hitched up is to turn on the awning light (bear with me here) then couple up the 13 pin cable and start the car engine. After a few seconds the awning light should go off. If it does it shows that the caravan relay is working because as well as supplying power to the fridge it switches off everything powered via the habitation master switch (interior lights, radio etc) 

If it doesn’t go off then either the 13 pin socket doesn’t have the necessary connection OR the caravan relay is defective. 

I tried it, he was right, engine started awning light goes out, switch engine off and awning light comes on after about 5 seconds.

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

• 9 months later...
On 25/09/2020 at 14:27, Mr Plodd said:

A caravan fridge shouldn’t work when connected to the towcar until an onboard relay detects in excess of 14 v (so only when the alternator is being driven by the engine) To prevent the starter battery being drained. 

A good trick given to me by a caravan techie to see if the fridge is getting power when hitched up is to turn on the awning light (bear with me here) then couple up the 13 pin cable and start the car engine. After a few seconds the awning light should go off. If it does it shows that the caravan relay is working because as well as supplying power to the fridge it switches off everything powered via the habitation master switch (interior lights, radio etc) 

If it doesn’t go off then either the 13 pin socket doesn’t have the necessary connection OR the caravan relay is defective. 

I tried it, he was right, engine started awning light goes out, switch engine off and awning light comes on after about 5 seconds.

What a great tip!-I shall be using that in future, thank you Mr Plodd.

That should be pinned up in the "Tips" section!!

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.