France - Fuel Strike

I'm near Auch in South West France, no problems here. Filled up today not seen any queues.

I filled up today, no queues at either of our supermarkets. Only restriction - no containers. Didn't want to cut the grass anyway.

We filled up at Cajarc in the Lot with two cars in front of us and no restrictions

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

Can I just suggest that anybody planning to travel to France via. Calais or Dunkirk and is potentially dissuaded by the 'migrant' situation does a bit more research than simply reading the Daily Express or reading anecdote on a caravan forum.

Edited by Tin_Snail
  • Like 3

We came through the channel tunnel in Feb, spending a few hours at the complex next to it on the way back shopping and eating.

No issues at all in fact it was a very pleasant experience. We saw nothing that looked out of place and no groups hanging about.

• Like 3

Can I just suggest that anybody planning to travel to France via. Calais or Dunkirk and is potentially dissuaded by the 'migrant' situation does a bit more research than simply reading the Daily Express or reading anecdote on a caravan forum.

We came through the channel tunnel in Feb, spending a few hours at the complex next to it on the way back shopping and eating.

No issues at all in fact it was a very pleasant experience. We saw nothing that looked out of place and no groups hanging about.

I would agree that I saw no sign of the so called migrants at all. We saw a fence being erected (Harris fencing) which wouldn't keep anyone out and a police van with a copper having a ciggy leaning up against it. You would never have guessed there was anything going on at all. That was at the height of the reported troubles when the crowds were rushing the fences.

I'm off to Dinan in Brittany in the morning with my in laws. I've been told the situation is nowhere near as bad as reported and the manager of the house we are renting has been able to fill both his car and his wifes. There was a queue and he had to wait for up to 40 minutes to do it but I don't mind that if I get my holiday sorted. None of the cover from Red Pennant, Visa or my travel insurance through my bank account would cover the problem of running out of fuel, which I thought was pretty poor. Roadside assistance would normally cover this problem. I have some jerry cans of fuel in the car as insurance. Eurotunnel are allowing up to 30 ltrs to be carried. If I drive at 60 mph I can get 32 mpg which gets me 570 miles plus 50 miles in reserve. With the 30 ltrs I can drive a further 180 miles on top. So even without fuel I can get to Dinan which is 320 miles from Calais, and back. I just have to restrict my speed which will be soooooo boring at 60! If I can get a fill up of half a tank I can resume the 81 mph limit. Worth going just to see if my maths works out!

• Like 1

Just to reassure everyone, there are still no problems down here in the Aude - and we filled up on Wednesday without a problem, nor were there queues, notices, or restrictions, at any of our local fuel stations yesterday.

• Like 1

I really don't know how we survive in France!!!

I'm off to Dinan in Brittany in the morning with my in laws. I've been told the situation is nowhere near as bad as reported and the manager of the house we are renting has been able to fill both his car and his wifes. There was a queue and he had to wait for up to 40 minutes to do it but I don't mind that if I get my holiday sorted. None of the cover from Red Pennant, Visa or my travel insurance through my bank account would cover the problem of running out of fuel, which I thought was pretty poor. Roadside assistance would normally cover this problem. I have some jerry cans of fuel in the car as insurance. Eurotunnel are allowing up to 30 ltrs to be carried. If I drive at 60 mph I can get 32 mpg which gets me 570 miles plus 50 miles in reserve. With the 30 ltrs I can drive a further 180 miles on top. So even without fuel I can get to Dinan which is 320 miles from Calais, and back. I just have to restrict my speed which will be soooooo boring at 60! If I can get a fill up of half a tank I can resume the 81 mph limit. Worth going just to see if my maths works out!

We are looking at a site called Campsite De la Hallerais near Dinan for our stay in about two weeks time. Are you familar with the site and if so what is it like? Thanks.

I'm staying in an old medieval house as I don't have a caravan at present ( :( ) so won't be doing the caravan thing. As much as I wanna!

Must admit the place looks stunning though.

https://www. tripadvisor. co. uk/VacationRentalReview-g187098-d2152168-La_Vieille_Auberge-Dinan_Cotes_d_Armor_Brittany. html

We're still in Italy and if the mayhem continues, we will just stay put at Lake Garda, no point getting stressed about diesel!

R

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

We are at La Yole St Jean De Mont we have been here since Tuesday 24th and have had no problems getting fuel on Wednesday you were restricted to 25 or 30 euro's yesterday you could have as much fuel as you like. The longest we had to queue was 15 minutes . Their are several other car owners who all have full tanks, Don't let the news channels dissuade you from coming to this part of France they as always are showing the worst cases.

Regards

Doug

2016 Ssangyong Rexton EX 2. 2 auto & 2018 Bailey series 4 Pampalona.

No problem with fuel here in Le Barcares at present! Just pull into the fuel station and fill up. Has gone to €1. 12 though.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Well I've decided to go for it. I'm driving to Folkestone early tomorrow morning with 30ltrs of diesel in a metal jerry can and a plastic one. I'll keep it steady unless I can refill at half a tank at which point the speed will be increased to 130kph (weather dependent). I'm happy that Dinan has enough to offer me and the wife/in laws for a week if we can't get out and about to explore. Everyone I've spoken to is confident that I'll get fuel and have offered to help in the cause with spare jerry cans too so too good an offer to refuse.

I'm going on holiday!

:D

• Like 2

Anyone know the Fuel situation near Blois? We are planning to head there in two weeks time.

Autotrail Tracker FB motorhome on Fiat Ducato chassis

10ltrs on the ferries and 30ltrs on the Tunnel from a site giving advice today.

Having just spoken to friends in Rouen and having checked P&O Twitter feed 10 minutes ago I feel that this situation is being hyped by the press. There are problems but not as dire as reported . .. So we're off down through France and I am sure it will turn out ok.

To cancel would just be ridiculous, I have been through far worse !!

BBC lunchtime news says jerry cans of fuel illegal in France.

P&O on their Twitter feed are ok with jerry cans!

• Like 1

Just tried to find the site I visited and no luck, have scoured around and it looks as though none is

allowed on the Ferries. The Tunnel still seems to allow up to 30 litres.

I saw a post earlier stating that the EU limit on carrying fuel was 240 litres in containers of no more than 60 litres each. It's the crossings that limit you. Most of the problem in France has been because of jerry can use and people stockpiling fuel. I don't think they have a problem with carrying jerry cans.

There appears to be a lot of confusion regarding the carrying of fuel on ferries, in the tunnel, or in France.
We have carried out some research today and believe the correct information is now pinned at the head of this forum area. We have included links to our sources so you can check if the situation changes.
http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/115606-fuel-strikes-in-france
Gordon

Well I've decided to go for it. I'm driving to Folkestone early tomorrow morning with 30ltrs of diesel in a metal jerry can and a plastic one. I'll keep it steady unless I can refill at half a tank at which point the speed will be increased to 130kph (weather dependent). I'm happy that Dinan has enough to offer me and the wife/in laws for a week if we can't get out and about to explore. Everyone I've spoken to is confident that I'll get fuel and have offered to help in the cause with spare jerry cans too so too good an offer to refuse.
I'm going on holiday!
:D

10ltrs on the ferries and 30ltrs on the Tunnel from a site giving advice today.

BBC lunchtime news says jerry cans of fuel illegal in France.

Having just spoken to friends in Rouen and having checked P&O Twitter feed 10 minutes ago I feel that this situation is being hyped by the press. There are problems but not as dire as reported . .. So we're off down through France and I am sure it will turn out ok.
To cancel would just be ridiculous, I have been through far worse !!

P&O on their Twitter feed are ok with jerry cans!

Just tried to find the site I visited and no luck, have scoured around and it looks as though none is
allowed on the Ferries. The Tunnel still seems to allow up to 30 litres.

CARRIAGE AND STORAGE OF PETROL & DIESEL
CARRIAGE OF PETROL & DIESEL FOR PRIVATE USE:
The carriage of petrol or diesel by private individuals in a vehicle where the fuel is intended for their personal or domestic use, including their leisure or sporting activities, is exempt from the general restrictions on the carriage of dangerous goods by road.
However, where fuel is carried in refillable containers filled by or for a private individual, the total quantity transported must not exceed 240 litres at a time and each individual container must not contain more than 60 litres. In addition, the individual must take measures to prevent the containers from leaking.

This is from the Disco 3 forum and applies to EU private citizens. I spoke to Eurotunnel and was told I was ok to take a 20l metal and a 10l plastic container of diesel totaling 30l.

From the bbc website.

P&O Ferries said on Twitter that passengers were now able to bring five litres of spare fuel on board, provided it was in an "approved container".

Eurotunnel allows up to 30 litres of fuel to be driven over, depending on the type of container.

Some parts of France have restrictions on carrying fuel.

The Prefecture of the Pas-de-Calais says that "in order to limit the fuel of users and for safety reasons", it is illegal to sell, purchase, distribute or transport fuel in "packaged form" such as jerrycans or cans. .