Tom Tom Go

Janey

Hi guys,

We're thinking of getting a gps system and Tom Tom GO sounds good. Does anyone know if there is an adaptor that will allow this unit to be used on a 24V supply as well as a 12V as it would be good if Dunc could use this when he is in his lorry as well.

Janey

Audi Q7 / Coachman Laser 640/4

You might want to take a read of the GPS thread

7021[/snapback]

Hi Wobblybox,

I've already read that thread but could see no reference to 24V compatibility, but I'll read it again in case I missed something - unless you can be more specific ?

Thanks

Janey

Audi Q7 / Coachman Laser 640/4

You might consider using the same software on a PDA which will then run using its internal rechargeable battery. You can buy this all in one package if you like eg

http://www. navman-europe. com/product_details. php?id=AA005622

I have the older version of this and it is fine. You can also buy products that handle TomTom.

It is so much more flexible that having the standalone version. You can even purchase software so that you can use the GPS when out walking.

Only problem is that the battery might not stand up to being used full time all day for SatNav.

Roger

Hi Wobblybox,

I've already read that thread but could see no reference to 24V compatibility, but I'll read it again in case I missed something - unless you can be more specific ?

Thanks

Janey

7088[/snapback]

Sorry, misread your thread :unsure: . Thought you were after advice on the Tom Tom.

Have a look at his forum. There is a HGV section there so I am sure you will find the answer. If not, ask the question there. Truckers do use them so it must be possible.

http://www. pocketgps. co. uk/modules. php?name=Forums

Brian

The TomTomGO car charger is suitable for 12/24 v use, just make sure it has the sticker confirming this, on the charger. Some early models only had 12v, but TomTom upgraded soon after the launch to make the charger a dual voltage unit. Also, for safety of the TomTom, make sure you plug the charger into the power socket you are going to use AFTER the engine has been statred, as sometimes the alternator can send a higher voltage "spike" to the charger, damaging the charger and possibly frying the TomTom, the same applies to ANY car chargers, for phones, DVD players etc.

Hi guys,

We're thinking of getting a gps system and Tom Tom GO sounds good.   Does anyone know if there is an adaptor that will allow this unit to be used on a 24V supply as well as a 12V as it would be good if Dunc could use this when he is in his lorry as well.

Janey

6980[/snapback]

Definitely take a look at the 'forums' section of www. pocketgps. co. uk, there has been plenty of discussion there about TomTomGO and its main competitor the Navman icn510; they are both standalone/dedicated GPS and are both very popular. Also keep a close eye on claims for price and availability, these are very much the 'boys toy' of the moment!

Boys toys? You tell my wife that! She won't leave home without TomTom (Jane)! When I am driving all the aggro of her turning the map upside down, changing glasses (when she can find the right pair) and dozing off at the most crucial times has bee eliminated. Now Jane just tells me exactly which way to go, don't even have to look at the screen.

Another bonus is being informed of speed cameras being approached.

All the wife's friends who travel with her have or are buying them on the pretext of it being a pressy for hubby!

7217[/snapback]

She who MUST be obayed, thinks they're great, just needs to learn how to turn it on, couple of weeks should do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have got the TomTom Go and I dont know what I would do without it, no more greif with the lady of the house trying to read maps or if I am on my own reading notes on a bit of paper and driving at the same time.

Trevor.

Guest Hobbybod

I've had a TT-GO for ~4months, with the European mapping, and find it invaluable, especially when driving alone.

There is an extensive thread on another forum here.

Many of us have loaded POI's for CC sites and CL's (and C&CC sites etc.) as well as the ubiquitous 'Safety Cameras'.

When I get close to a CC site 'Tim' goes 'cuckoo' and when close to a CL, 'Mooo'!

I've briefly used it in France and found it very useful getting me to the Belgian border when so foggy that the signs were tricky to read.

I'm currently fiddling with a French campsite POI list of ~3,400 sites!!

To save repetition, you'll find useful 'links', in the other forum's thread.

Main gripes are;

Need to 'Switch Maps' when crossing country borders,

Only one 'Via' allowed,

Non-deletion of useless built-in POI's

Inability to 'save' a route.

Otherwise a most excellent bit of kit.

Just a thought, but have you thought of tomtom mobile for a phone? I've just bought a Nokia 6600 which will run tomtom, and is almost as good as the regular units. The full cost of the outfit will be less than 250 pounds, and that includes buying the phone off ebay.

Mine will be loaded with tomtom next week.

• 1 month later...

It would be worth checking out the following sites as TomTom have released a number of new products today (10th March)

www. pocketgps. co. uk

www. tomtom. com

my mum got a tom tom go go!! She really liked it, she had a garmin at first and bought it via Amazon cos it was cheaper, but when she tried to load the software and couldnt, so she contacted Garmin who confirmed that her toy had had three previous owners who had tried to register the product and they were part of a criminal ring. So mum contacted Amazon who gave her a refund and accepted the machine back.

But yes mum is very happy with her tom tom :rolleyes: