Storage Site Fire 18 Vans Destroyed, 13 Badly Heat Damaged

Just seen this on my local newsfeed. Couldn't imagine how these people must feel!
Happened in Cwmbran at approx 1:00am this morning.
http://www. walesonline. co. uk/news/local-news/18-caravans-destroyed-13-suffer-11348566

http://www. southwalesargus. co. uk/news/14499761. Fire_and_explosions_in_Cwmbran/

Caravanless. ...

That's bad. Anybody said what the cause was?

Remember yesterday,dream of tomorrow, live for today.

The Argus reported it as not suspicious, the source being electrical. Scary stuff!

Caravanless. ...

The services said it's accidental?

http://www. itv. com/news/wales/update/2016-05-18/investigation-continues-after-blaze-destroys-caravans/

I did look at it for storage myself, but went elsewhere!

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian X series 6.

Got to feel sorry for the owners of the vans-a heartbreaker for sure

Remember yesterday,dream of tomorrow, live for today.

Friends of ours store there and collected their new caravan on 6th May. We think (hope) they left for the continent last week, although the updated report does say one of the vans was a new one. Such a shock for everyone, but thankfully no-one hurt. See that there are some motorhomes in those statistics too if you look at the pics.

Just hope everyone involved has insurance.

Edited by Glen and Les
  • Like 2

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

My sisters van is stored there lucky not affected, also the lass in work parents lucky they are away in theirs.

I feel so sorry for all affected . .... Just as we go into holiday season too.

• Like 1

The services said it's accidental?

http://www. itv. com/news/wales/update/2016-05-18/investigation-continues-after-blaze-destroys-caravans/

I did look at it for storage myself, but went elsewhere!

The Fire Service will give the most likely cause based on their investigation.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

A clear demonstration why Camping organisations insist on a 6 Meter separation between units. The pictures above show that the units on that storage site have been stored, only with an eye to maximising income.

A clear demonstration why Camping organisations insist on a 6 Meter separation between units. The pictures above show that the units on that storage site have been stored, only with an eye to maximising income.

I understood the 6 metre separation was while sited, not in storage. I don't know of any storage facility near here that separates vans in that way. Are you sure.

If at first you don't succeed. ... redefine success.

Six meter spacing of caravans in storage would probably increase every storage site's charges by 300% to make up for the reduction of storage space to 33%.

Edited by DeeTee

I might be wrong but I don't think Bessacarr425 was suggesting that all vans should be stored with 6m spaces, I think he was pointing out that whilst in use the 6m rule is essential to prevent fire spreading so easily in occupied vans.

Davros

Pretty well the same on all three sites we have stored our 'vans on.

Just enough room to open the doors and a bit more seems pretty universal I would suggest.

• Like 1

A 'van or MH is not a human life, all H&SE requirements are for human safety not for insured or not lumps of metal or GRP, therefore the storage and its conditions is up to you.

There should be measures in place over and above use on site such as everything isolated and gas cylinders removed etc.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Davros 18 Post no 12 is correct. -- The point being made is what could happen if a fire was to occur when there was not a 6 mtr separation on a Club Site. There could have been serious injury and possible loss of life.

Edited by bessacarr425

Davros 18 Post no 12 is correct. -- The point being made is what could happen if a fire was to occur when there was not a 6 mtr separation on a Club Site. There could have been serious injury and possible loss of life.

I can most certainly confirm your thoughts,

Regards,

Ian

The pictures above show that the units on that storage site have been stored, only with an eye to maximising income.

I think though when you said the above it indicated that that particular storage had an eye on maximising income as if it was unique to that particular storage area. All a number of us were saying subsequently was that it is pretty typical of most if not all storage sites to pack the 'vans in like that.

If a fire erupted on ours I am pretty sure it would take out several caravans, motorhomes and cars before it was brought under control.

:)

Edited by Tin_Snail

Pretty well the same on all three sites we have stored our 'vans on.

Just enough room to open the doors and a bit more seems pretty universal I would suggest.

I store our caravan on a gold CaSSOA storage site and the vans are parked up with about 3ft between each other? As I posted above I looked at that storage also all other storage in the area, and all the vans are parked up like it?

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian X series 6.

When you see these storage fires and a quantity of vans on fire all containing gas cylinders it must put fire fighters lives at risk . Should all storage sites request caravans/mh gas cylinders are removed as they must help the fire spread some storage sites do and some don't ?

I know my caravan storage site the gas cylinders are left in .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

• 3 weeks later...

newbie question alert.

Caravan stored - catches fire and destroys others near by.

Who is liable? Does caravan insurance include 3rd party cover? With new caravans costing what some earn in a year, if your van fire took out 10 you could loose your home!

Unless it can be proved that the cause of the fire was due to someone's negligence each individual caravan owner would normally claim on their caravan insurance, assuming that they have insurance. If the cause was arson and the culprits are found and prosecuted there may be a possibility that a separate civil damages case would succeed. Even then there is not point in litigating against someone who hasn't got substantial means to satisfy the damages claim.

Anyone whose caravan is uninsured could seek legal advice if they have evidence of someone's involvement but there would be some uncertainty about a satisfactory outcome for the uninsured.

The question of liability would be left to the insurance companies to mitigate their losses.

Edited by DeeTee