Sign in to follow this  
tim

Hoover: 12 Volt Or Rechargeable.

Hi All,

We are looking to get a small handheld Hoover for the caravan.

Not sure to get a 12 volt one, or a mains rechargeable one.

Anyone any ideas on which would be the most efficient please.

Thanks

Tim

Hi All,

We are looking to get a small handheld Hoover for the caravan.

Not sure to get a 12 volt one, or a mains rechargeable one.

Anyone any ideas on which would be the most efficient please.

Thanks

Tim

We went for neither in the end after deliberating and got a corded mains handheld.

But then we only use sites or CL's with 240V so it may not suit everybody to do so.

It's very good in both the car and the caravan and has a very long easily stowable lead.

https://www. amazon. co. uk/AEG-AG71a-RapidClean-Handheld-Cleaner/dp/B00F3U1R4A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463316231&sr=8-1&keywords=aeg+vacuum+cleaner

12v vacuums are usually next to useless so between the two you ask about I would say re-chargable.

I like Dyson's products but this usually polarises opinions into the love 'em or hate 'em camp when discussed on internet forums.

I also think nothing of 12 volt machines. I keep a mains Black & Decker 230volt hand held machine permanently in the van.

For £10 B&Q do an excellent rechargeable vacuum. £9 on a Wednesday if you have the OAP card!

For £10 B&Q do an excellent rechargeable vacuum. £9 on a Wednesday if you have the OAP card!

Thanks for reply, only one I can see at b &. Q is £25. 00.

Would you be able to send a link please?

Thanks

Tim

Powerful, light rechargeable batteries do not come cheap, nor do powerful, efficient lightweight motors, so it is no surprise that the premium brands do not come cheap either!

Lots of debate over whether Dyson or G-tech is better.

We have invested in the Ryobi One + range of rechargeable thingies. The batteries are expensive but you only need a couple (a fat one and a cheaper smaller one. we have got the portable hoover which really works. Also the strimmer and a branch lopper. As well as a hedge trimmer (just for home).

We also bought a portable powerjet which uses the same Ryobi batteries, and it's the best designed piece of anything I have ever come across. Unfortunately it looks like it may have been overdesigned as you seem only to be able to get them on ebay second hand. http://www. nomad-direct. co. uk/index. php/products/nomad-18-v-cordless/c_8. html

Anyway the 18v Ryobi One + vacuum cleaner is worth buying.

(Our site has no electrics by the way)

Mike

I've tried the hand held rechargeable and IMO they don't have much suck on them and we have tried a couple of different makes, we now have a small 240v. If you have pets they are less than useless.

• Like 1

Thanks for reply, only one I can see at b &. Q is £25. 00.

Would you be able to send a link please?

Thanks

Tim

Can't see it online, it may have been an in-store special. It is their own brand and called Gator. They had a whole pallet of them at Wallasey last month.

Can't see it online, it may have been an in-store special. It is their own brand and called Gator. They had a whole pallet of them at Wallasey last month.

Found a link. Only available in stores while stocks last.

They are actually Vax Gators rather then B&Q's own brand, and ten pounds is an excellent price.

http://www. diy. com/clearance/5012512144252-vax-106v-gator-handheld-vacuum/869683_BQ. prd

Sadly I can't find any branch that still has stock. I would have had one as a spare at that price. :(

Edited by Tin_Snail

Any mains (240V) motor is always going to beat any battery or 12V motor.

If you have mains available, use it.

I bought, and use, a 12V plug-in one on the basis that it's always 12V and maximum current (assuming my main battery isn't flat of course!). If my memory is right I think it was about £30. Halfords do one that's about £25, and like mine, will pick up a bit of wet now and then.

However, rechargeables slowly lose their ability to hold and deliver their power as the internal battery ages. Plus, of course, they weigh more (the weight of the battery).

When on site I use the 12V and am surprised at how much it picks up, but when at home I use my main house vacuum cleaner.

Edited by daveat92

We went for neither in the end after deliberating and got a corded mains handheld.

But then we only use sites or CL's with 240V so it may not suit everybody to do so.

It's very good in both the car and the caravan and has a very long easily stowable lead.

https://www. amazon. co. uk/AEG-AG71a-RapidClean-Handheld-Cleaner/dp/B00F3U1R4A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463316231&sr=8-1&keywords=aeg+vacuum+cleaner

12v vacuums are usually next to useless so between the two you ask about I would say re-chargable.

I like Dyson's products but this usually polarises opinions into the love 'em or hate 'em camp when discussed on internet forums.

I agree almost completely with Tin_Snail - except we got this corded one from Lakeland - we often keep it at home between trips as it's so useful to keep upstairs.

John

Hi All,

Many thanks for all replies.

It is for when we are away on non elec sites so it would have to be rechargeable or 12 volt.

Guess you get what you pay for.

Thanks Again

Tim

We bought a 12v black n decker about 18 years ago and that works perfectly and is very powerfull

• Like 1

No vacuum kept in the caravan; it gets vacuumed before we leave and then again when we get home. If we are expecting muddy conditions then the carpets are taken out and left at home (lino much easier to clean than carpets!).

Just had a look on the Which? website for handheld vacuum cleaners.

There are five "best buys" but four are a bit costly. The four top scorers are Dysons and vary between £139 and £210. The only handheld below this price which is a "best buy" is the

Vax Gator H86-GA-P

which is being sold by Amazon for £59 at present with free delivery. This is the lowest scoring vac of the handheld "best buys" with a score of 69 per cent. However, it weighs in at 1. 7 kilos so it may be that you are looking for something a bit lighter.

Edit:

Forgot to say this is a rechargeable and Which? says it runs for 24 minutes which is longer than the Dysons.

Edited by Pollywollydoodle

I'm sure our Ryobi one Plus will run for longer than that on the small lithium battery. It would probably run for 3 hours of hoovering on the big one. It's good for crevices and smaller areas but there isn't a carpet attachment so to do the whole of the vans carpets would take about 15 minutes. But we just do a 5 minute Hoover of the obvious bits

Mike

The black and decker flexi auto is pretty good. Not mind blowing but does the job and no charging batteries to worry about. I use mine a lot.