We are travelling to Europe with a car and 7m caravan for a couple of months returning the second week of October. We have decided our route down via Namur, Saarbrucken, Strasbourg, Lucerne, Milan, Cinque Terre, Florence, Perrugia,Rome and finally the Amalphi Coast.

Montecassino is on my visit list and would Camping Parking Europa Cassino accept car+van for a stopover?

We are decided on our route to Bologna. .it is after this we need advice please. We shall have two weeks from Bologna to Dunkirk. We will have Swiss vignettes, would like to see picturesque sites and just wonder if you could help with a route back through Germany then of course Belgium.

Any help would be most appreciated. Alistair.

Alistair,

We are quite experienced with the A1 motorway in Italy, and there are plenty of stop overs.

I'm a bit confused though - you have a Swiss vignette, but you mention Germany too. Are you planning on using Switzerland as a transit from Italy, and then into Germany at Lorrach, or, via Austria into Germany.

Let me know please and I can offer some suggestions.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Alistair, for the date of mid October which you mention I would not hurry back to Northern Europe, but would spend my time after Bologna looking around Ravenna, Verona and Venice - and then make the most direct rapid route back home, using whatever overnight campsites which remain open at that time. Take care.

Good evening Russ

We thought we would return via St Gothard Tunnel, possibly Zurich and Stuttgart. ..a couple of days in a Swiss village may be nice. Any ideas?

Thanks moderator for your advice. ..Verona Venice Garda etc already done.

Good evening Russ

We thought we would return via St Gothard Tunnel, possibly Zurich and Stuttgart. ..a couple of days in a Swiss village may be nice. Any ideas?

Thanks moderator for your advice. ..Verona Venice Garda etc already done.

Hi Saintjeresy welcome to CT

If you look at Russell's signature you see a link to his blog.

He is well travelled on the route from England particularly via Belgiam, Luxembourg, Germany down through to Italy, and totally has a passion for Italy!

Andrew

Edited by andrew2762

We are travelling to Europe with a car and 7m caravan for a couple of months returning the second week of October. We have decided our route down via Namur, Saarbrucken, Strasbourg, Lucerne, Milan, Cinque Terre, Florence, Perrugia,Rome and finally the Amalphi Coast.

Montecassino is on my visit list and would Camping Parking Europa Cassino accept car+van for a stopover?

We are decided on our route to Bologna. .it is after this we need advice please. We shall have two weeks from Bologna to Dunkirk. We will have Swiss vignettes, would like to see picturesque sites and just wonder if you could help with a route back through Germany then of course Belgium.

Any help would be most appreciated. Alistair.

We were at Camping Parking Europa Cassino in 2014 with a large caravan. All the signs on thr approach show only a motorhome which was of some concern at the time until we booked in.

The site is very basic. Take great care both Nancy and I got bitten by bugs. I almost never get bitten. These are no ordinary bugs Nancy had to get some medicine from a pharmacist and it took over three weeks before her legs were healed. WEAR LONG SOCKS.

Alan

Hi

Last week, we travelled from the Italian/Swiss border at Chiasso towards Altdorf - there is a site there - it's OK, swimming pool near by, (council, not the site's own), shops and so on, some nice views. We did not stay there on this trip but have in the past - see here.

Anyway, back to last week, from Altdorf towards Zurich via Fluelen and Schwyz - so you are on the eastern side of Lake Lucerne. There are various campsites along this route, so Google will help. We did not stop - we carried on to Germany.

Our original plan in Germany was to stay at Lake Titisee, but due to late running, we ended up stopping at Lake Schluchsee instead. This was a lovely little town, and whilst we stayed on the motorhome stellplatz, (caravans not permitted), there was a campsite about a mile away. The road, numbered the "500" was steep in places, but we saw many caravans there. I'd suggest a Google street view etc if you have any concerns. We did have a great pizza in the town, and there are quite a few restaurants in the town.

From Schluchsee, we carried on to Freiburg in Germany. We have stayed on the campsite in the past - here - but this time we were on a motorhome dealer's forecourt as my friend was buying and dealing!

I like the suggestion above about Verona etc - if you stay at the southern end of Lake Garda, Peschiera del Garda for example, you can get the hourly bus to Verona for three euro one way, or the train also. Lots of sites still open in October at Peschiera, some with ACSI

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

I know that you have said that you have Venice sorted. When we went three years ago I took the advice of Klyne - David and used the camp site Camping Miramare just 500 mtrs from the water bus stop at Punta Sabbioni. It's a good campsite with an excellent restaurant just 100 mtrs from the entrance. BUT the big advantage of the site for us was that the water buss took us to the entrance of the Grand Canal a very short walk from Piazza San Marco. What a way to arrive in Venice.

Alan