Sign in to follow this  
mdhuxford

Fitting Alko Shocks

Hi all, i plan to fit a pair of alko shocks to our Bailey Verona this weekend, from what ive seen it all seems fairly straightforward. We also have a power touch classic mover fitted. I have accepted the fact that i may need to slide out the mover a bit each side to give a little more room for the shocks to fit.

Does anyone know what sort of clearance there should be between the mover and the shock absorber? Is an inch enough?

Thanks

Mark

When I had my previous van I'd already fitted a Powrtouch mover. When I came to fit shock absorbers I had to move them out 1/2 an inch to give sufficient clearance. Just move them till they clear the tubes.

• Like 1

I didn't have to move my Powrtouch at all when I fitted my Alko shocks.

Have they made any difference? Maybe. The Orion feels as though it doesn't sway about so much when overtaken by white van man speeding by on the motorway. Other than that - no!

• Like 1

Just fitted mine yesterday to Bailey Brindisi Alko chassis. No need to worry about movers. Jacking up a pain, remove wheel, just remember to view video before fitting, put red sleeved end to top, nuts on the inside. Once you've done it takes about half an hour each wheel.(learning curve first time!)

• Like 1

Ever been passed by a van bouncing along? that one didn't have dampers. .. They keep things under control and are worth every penny, and should be fitted as standard IMHO.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Shocks fitted at the weekend with no dramas, they fitted neatly between the chassis and the mover. I'll have to wait until the end of the month to try them out.

Thanks to you all for your help and advise.

I fitted some to my Orion and it was night and day. Wouldn't be without them now, although I did come from a van that had them so was used to them to start with. Why they don't fit them as standard is beyond me.

Before jacking your caravan up & removing a wheel, hitch it to the car, jacked caravans are very unstable.

• Like 1

Fitted the shocks with no trouble. First time of testing them was this weekend. Much smoother journey, as someone has already said, its like night and day. Best 70 quid ive spent, should be fitted as standard.

• Like 1

Just had our first 2 weeks away with new Pegasus IV Rimini. No shocks unlike our last Pegasus 524 that had them fitted as standard. I could not detect any difference the new van towed extremely well.

The problem with fitting the shock absorbers after market is that they again reduce personal allowance, whereas they shouldn't as the loading is on the unsprung weight and as such should be free. :rolleyes:

The problem with fitting the shock absorbers after market is that they again reduce personal allowance, whereas they shouldn't as the loading is on the unsprung weight and as such should be free. :rolleyes:

The dampers are supported by their top mount so part of the sprung weight - and even the wheels/tyres are part of the MTPLM.

The dampers are supported by their top mount so part of the sprung weight - and even the wheels/tyres are part of the MTPLM.

Depends on design, wheels and tyres are already included but could become lighter, one could say they are supported by the swinging arm,and the oil tends to flow to the bottom, but again not all have the oil at the bottom :)

Yes of course this weight is part of the MTPML which the manufacturer arbitrarily decides and so takes up 3. 5kg of your personal allowance as do all your other gizmos including movers and solar panel. With two adults we were well below our max for a typical weekend trip as mesured on weigh bridge.

Just returned after a 300 mile plus touring and rather pleased with the result.