Sign in to follow this  
kenzo

6 Berth Needed. Swift 640 Maybe ...

Hello All

We are thinking of a change as we need to move to a 6 berth. Most of the time it is just Wife, two girls (15 and 11) and myself but wife's parents starting to make the journeys with us. Great people and happy to have them along.

So, we intend to look at Eccles 640. The fixed double bed won't work for us hence the 640.

Any opinions please.

Thanks.

Kenzo.

Hi Kenzo,

I guess with 6 berths, at least two of them are going to be bunks (fixed or otherwise).

At 15, your eldest will probably be looking to stretch out so it might be worth a look at Adrias as they have the widest bunks.

Friends of ours have a Sprite Major 6TD, slightly smaller than the Sterling you are looking at but with two dedicated fixed bunks. Two more are made up from a 3 eat dinette. At a push, I think that you could make a double under the none-fixed bunk (extra cushion and support needed). They love the layout.

Even though your current fixed double won't work, have you considered a 6 berth fixed double layout? One of the two Sprite Quatros for example? That way the two couples both get a double bed (one fixed) with bunks to make up for the kids.

Got challenger sport 640 2015

Not fixed bed but rear dinette can go to a double or 2 bunks

Didn't want fixed bed so can shut the kids off that end

Got challenger sport 640 2015

Not fixed bed but rear dinette can go to a double or 2 bunks

Didn't want fixed bed so can shut the kids off that end

I like the flexibility that the 640 offers. As we currently have a 2. 5m wide Dethleffs we are concerned that the 640 will feel cramped. Interested to hear how the functionality works for those who have one.

Expect when it's wife, girls and myself, that the girls can take over the rear and when grandparents are on board, they can have front and us four sleep in rear.

Opinions please . ..

Thanks for all of your input.

Kenzo.

Check how much weight the bunks can take. Best of luck,I think you're a brave man!

Check how much weight the bunks can take. Best of luck,I think you're a brave man!

Yes I agree. We had an Avondale 565-6 six berth, it was ideal for the two of us but for 6 people!!! The bunks had weight limits the one over the dinette was only suitable for a small child and the top fixed bunk had a weight limit too. Just think with six people - where on earth do you put your clothes when you take them off at night?

Alan

I would say the dinette bunks would be too small for your girls. My 14 year old finds them claustrophobic and uncomfortable so we're looking at 6 berth with fixed bunks rear dinette but I'm not convinced that would work for you. The elddis or compass 576 has fixed rear bunks. a large side dinette that extends to make a double with a good size corner bathroom.

I think you would need to keep an eye on weight with 6 grown up people personal items . 180 kg payload and battery will be 30 kg so 150 kg then kit like aqua roll, waste hog, cutlery and crockery,bedding, clothes . Most people struggle for 2-4 people in a caravan with payload .

I think I would lean towards Swift from the caravan manufacturer section forums replies and after care .

Dave

Thank you to you all for your advice.

Wife is leaning towards a Hobby 650 kfu. As owners of a Dethleffs 2. 5m wide caravan, she is a "very keen " advocate of the German build quality (previously owned an Adria, which was a nightmare :unsure::unsure: ) and the extra width provides a very spacious lounge space up front Dethleffs has been brilliant.

I must check about the weight capacity of the bunks in the 640.

Thanks,

Kenzo.

My 640 rear bunks state 11 stone weight limit

My 12 year old and big for his age sleeps fine up

There

Put grandparents on singles underneath you keep your double up front lol

Also got pop up inner tent for awning and older ones prefer sleeping in that

Edited by Sps2378

Thank you to you all for your advice.

Wife is leaning towards a Hobby 650 kfu. As owners of a Dethleffs 2. 5m wide caravan, she is a "very keen " advocate of the German build quality (previously owned an Adria, which was a nightmare :unsure::unsure: ) and the extra width provides a very spacious lounge space up front Dethleffs has been brilliant.

I must check about the weight capacity of the bunks in the 640.

Thanks,

Kenzo.

Your need to watch the lengths on some Hobby 650 kfu as they are over 7 M body length and need a C1 + E licence .

Dave

The c1 is to do with the towing vehicle

The e is only the trailer

C1 is vehicle 3501 to 7500 kgs

Unless done a different test and don't hold hgv C&e

The standard grandfathers rights C1&e will limit you to 750kg trailer under c1e with restriction code

Edited by Sps2378

The c1 is to do with the towing vehicle

The e is only the trailer

C1 is vehicle 3501 to 7500 kgs

Unless done a different test and don't hold hgv C&e

The standard grandfathers rights C1&e will limit you to 750kg trailer under c1e with restriction code

Caravans over 7 M body length are towed on a C1 + E because it is illegal to tow unless the vehicle is 3500 kg + gvw which is C1 it would also make your car insurance invalid towing a oversize trailer with any thing less.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Im with Sono, we've got a dealer special based on the Major 6 TD and although they have fixed bunks we use the lower make up bunk for our eldest as its quite generous in size, so the 2 lower bunks would be fine for the in laws. We've been 6 up in our van and everyone was comfortable, the front bed made up is huge and will easily accommodate 2 adults and a child.

We looked for ages and this layout suited the best (we're a family of 4). In general its a reasonably large van so you don't feel claustrophobic, its has a separate shower and WC and has all the toys thrown in.

Edited by thefirm
  • Like 2

I haven't been in the eccles 640 but had a quick look online, I think the bunk beds will feel quite small to your eldest daughter and in-laws and with 6 people in the van would start to feel very claustrophobic. I would suggest stick with the van you got and on the occasions your in-laws come with you put the kids in the awning with a proper sleeping pod thing. In the early days me and my wife did this when we went away with her grandparents in their motor home and it worked well.

• Like 2

I haven't been in the eccles 640 but had a quick look online, I think the bunk beds will feel quite small to your eldest daughter and in-laws and with 6 people in the van would start to feel very claustrophobic. I would suggest stick with the van you got and on the occasions your in-laws come with you put the kids in the awning with a proper sleeping pod thing. In the early days me and my wife did this when we went away with her grandparents in their motor home and it worked well.

:goodpost:

Thank you to all. i intend to take a look at a few options next weekend and will return with feedback then.

BTW my 15yo teenage girl laughs at the idea of sleeping in the awning. She wont even sleep on the floor on a blow-up bed that we bought for them. ...

Elddis Tempest looks a good layout. Came across it by accident. In-laws could use the dinette/ pull-out double when they travel with us. But I am VERY nervous about the brand based on what I have read here and on other forums.

Will keep you posted and thanks again.

Kenzo.

We went from a 2. 3m to a 2. 4m van. Although this only 4 inches it seems to give a disproportionate increase in space. The Swift vans are 2. 25 wide a think that you will mis the space compared to your existing van.

Hi Kenzo, we have a 2014 Swift Challenger 590 SE, which is an identical layout to the new 640. We bought it as we are a family of 6. We also looked at vans with fixed bunks (etc), but found that they were very narrow as well as short. The rear bunks in our caravan are a better size, but the overhead lockers do impinge on the space of the upper bunks (although the kids have never complained). The rear dinette can also be made into a very good size double bed, like the front. We also settled on this option because of the longer food prep space, the double wardrobe and we went for wrap around seating at the front (ditching the chest), which has been really useful for accomodating 6 when not in bed too!

Hope that assists,

Dave O

Sign in to follow this