Sign in to follow this  
BradleyWiggins

Heiki Rooflight Leaking Again - Solid 2013 Avante

Having had both roof lights replaced under warranty when my 2013 Avante 564 was 1 year old due to an installation/manufacturing defect, this weekend we noticed a new leak in the same area at the edge of the front Heiki. Waiting to see how this will be resolved but had service in March with no damp and now we have a visible damp patch in the ceiling. Hoping my dealer rises to this challenge and gets things sorted in the same efficient way the did when the 3 year warranty still applied.

I had the same fault in my 2013 Affinity. To cut a very long story short it went back to Elddis for repair after I had to reject the first repair attempt by the local service centre. Unfortunately it came back from Elddis with one of the faults which I rejected the original repair over. .. the damaged board was replaced but the new board was the wrong colour. See the attached photos. The problem is that sometime around 2015 the board they used changed from white to cream. If you look at the archived brochures on their website you can see the difference in the interior photos. The 2013 vans have crisp white ceilings whereas the later ones are cream. Maybe I was being overly fussy but having paid £20k for a van I wasn't prepared to accept a multi-coloured ceiling through no fault of my own!

After a lot of hassle the solution proposed by Elddis was to paper over the rest of the ceiling board to match the new board. In the end this never happened as the rear panel cracked for the 2nd time and after some further "negotiation" with Elddis and my dealer I don't own it anymore. I now have a new 2016 Bailey U3 on the way :-).

It's possible that Elddis will advise your dealer to paper over the old board as I know I am not the only one who has complained about it. However I thought it best to warn you so you are armed with the relevant info. Good luck, if you want any more info drop me a PM.

Mark.

post-58970-0-40872600-1462566468_thumb.jpeg

post-58970-0-77147800-1462566481_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Markt1891

Mine was a 2014 model Fixed under warranty by our dealer.

Thanks Mark,the question is will I get the work done before the new caravan I have on order arrives and what happens to my part ex if it isn't fixed?

It's covered by warranty so I wouldn't worry about your p/x. Are you doing the p/x at the selling dealer? I would give them a call and ask the question but it should not matter whether they are fixing it for you or to put on their own used sales forecourt.

Mark.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Mark, both roof lights now leaking, sitting here in Hampshire catching the drips. The dealer for the new van is a different one but they also do Elddis. Not rushing to tell new dealer of the issues in case it reduces part ex value.

So much for SoLiD - Strong, Light and DAMP!

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Mark, both roof lights now leaking, sitting here in Hampshire catching the drips. The dealer for the new van is a different one but they also do Elddis. Not rushing to tell new dealer of the issues in case it reduces part ex value.

So much for SoLiD - Strong, Light and DAMP!

According to the warranty the water ingress warranty for 10 years only applies through any permanetly sealed joins and not roof lights, windows etc s o I am wondering if this 10 year warranty is a bit of false advertising and whether it shouldl be reported to the Advertising Standards!/

• Like 1

Just borrowed a step ladder to have a look through the roof light and I can see that the frame is cracked in two places. Cleaned and dried and covered with duct tape. Hopefully will stop the leak until a permanent repair can be done. Both roof lights were originally replaced due to a design fault and it seems replaced with items exhibiting the same fault. :-(

According to the warranty the water ingress warranty for 10 years only applies through any permanetly sealed joins and not roof lights, windows etc s o I am wondering if this 10 year warranty is a bit of false advertising and whether it shouldl be reported to the Advertising Standards!/

As one who has a solid van and has a damp issue. I feel utterly conned. There advert states strong,light and dry. Strong ? Well it is now I suppose after having a box frame added to the frame to strengthen the floor to stop it sinking. Light, not really as its now heavier than I first bought it. And dry,Nope 62% reading in the corner of the van under fixed bed.

It was without question the only reason why I went for an Elddis van,and most probably the main reason they have had good sales over the last three years.

Yes Scoobz, I believed the hype too, as my wife keeps reminding me!!

• Like 2

Dropped the van off with Sussex Caravans this afternoon. Hope to get it back with new non leaky roof lights. I wonder if there is not enough give in the SoLiD adhesive to allow for flex?

Mine is cracked in two places also.

I don't think its a roof light problem. I removed the inner trim to my horror i saw there was only foam between the ali sheet and the inner roof panel.

Heiki say the foam MUST be removed and reinforced by framing. .

http://www. leisurespares. co. uk/files/installation_instruction_heki_3plus. pdf

Its Elddis that's the Fault if you ask me.

Mine is cracked in two places also.

I don't think its a roof light problem. I removed the inner trim to my horror i saw there was only foam between the ali sheet and the inner roof panel.

Heiki say the foam MUST be removed and reinforced by framing. .

http://www. leisurespares. co. uk/files/installation_instruction_heki_3plus. pdf

Its Elddis that's the Fault if you ask me.

I discussed this at length with Elddis when mine failed. They stated that whilst the install instructions for the Heki show that a supporting frame should be fitted the install process used in "Solid" vans was signed off by Dometic at the factory. They get all of their suppliers to sign off on the install of their components.

I am not saying they are right but it was the explanation they gave me. .. in the end my repair was a disaster due to the new ceiling board not matching (the original board was damp and stained). Then the 2nd rear panel cracked and it was game over :-). No longer an Elddis owner and never will be again.

Mark.

• Like 1

Yes As soon as our Elddis is fixed it will be gone, going abroad for the next van.

• Like 2

I discussed this at length with Elddis when mine failed. They stated that whilst the install instructions for the Heki show that a supporting frame should be fitted the install process used in "Solid" vans was signed off by Dometic at the factory. They get all of their suppliers to sign off on the install of their components.

I am not saying they are right but it was the explanation they gave me. .. in the end my repair was a disaster due to the new ceiling board not matching (the original board was damp and stained). Then the 2nd rear panel cracked and it was game over :-). No longer an Elddis owner and never will be again.

Get's better, Elddis are now NOT changing the ceiling board. I was told if roof is water marked, it will be wallpapered.

Get's better, Elddis are now NOT changing the ceiling board. I was told if roof is water marked, it will be wallpapered.

Yes and I suspect I know why. ...

The ceiling board colour changed in 2015, if you take a look at their historical brochures on their website the difference is quite obvious. I had a 2013 van with a very white ceiling, from 2015 it is more cream. They can no longer get the white board and fitted the cream board to my van. This was done twice, once by a local service centre and after I rejected the repair it went back to the Elddis factory. They just repeated the same mistake and fitted the wrong colour board. After many months of arguing they decided to wallpaper over what remained of the old white ceiling with cream wallpaper. However just before this was done the rear panel cracked again and that was the end of it. ..

So you are better off having it wallpapered and I suspect Elddis want to avoid any complaints about colour match with the existing board. I am guessing if the board is badly damaged they would replace it and then paper over it to match the colour.

Here is a photo of my van after it was returned from the Elddis factory. ... you can see the new cream board surrounding the Heki and the white board next to it.

post-58970-0-68247800-1466843252_thumb.jpeg

Mark.

Edited by Markt1891

Yes and I suspect I know why. ...

The ceiling board colour changed in 2015, if you take a look at their historical brochures on their website the difference is quite obvious. I had a 2013 van with a very white ceiling, from 2015 it is more cream. They can no longer get the white board and fitted the cream board to my van. This was done twice, once by a local service centre and after I rejected the repair it went back to the Elddis factory. They just repeated the same mistake and fitted the wrong colour board. After many months of arguing they decided to wallpaper over what remained of the old white ceiling with cream wallpaper. However just before this was done the rear panel cracked again and that was the end of it. ..

So you are better off having it wallpapered and I suspect Elddis want to avoid any complaints about colour match with the existing board. I am guessing if the board is badly damaged they would replace it and then paper over it to match the colour.

Here is a photo of my van after it was returned from the Elddis factory. ... you can see the new cream board surrounding the Heki and the white board next to it.

attachicon.gifimage. jpeg

Mark.

Cowboy's

Sussex Caravans have replaced the leaky Heki's and sorted the stained ceiling. Picking it up Saturday.

Great dealer.

• Like 1

Great job by Sussex, you wouldn't know we've had a leak! All sorted under warranty with absolutely no fuss or bother. Can't recommend Sussex Caravan Centres enough, shame the Elddis has been so troublesome. We pick up our new Adria Isonzo Silver next weekend.

My 2017 Elddis Xplore 586 has a heki roof light which is cracked in 3 places , it is letting water in , please make your your own conclusion on this. you have to make your own choice when spending your hard earned cash, do your research.

after a lot of research and help from other Elddis owners who have had same problem  I have finally found out that Elddis used a sealant called Terostat MS 939 to fix the heki roof lights in place, this does not have the flexibility  needed so eventually the heki rooflight will crack, you may be lucky and it will never crack or you may be unlucky like me and it it cracks after 2 years, it can be fixed by replacing and using a flexible mastic tape , I would advise all Elddis owners to check their heki by pulling out the vents and looking up for cracks ,better to check now than leave over winter and find your van damaged by water ingress, all very well getting fixed on warranty but do you want all that, personally I bought a caravan to relax.

I can also recommend close inspection of the front window frames on Elddis/Buccaneer/compass caravans. Our 2018 Buccaneer had a damp free report 6 weeks ago but last week after pulling back the top near side front window rubber my damp meter reported 20% moisture. This continued down to the bottom of the window in a thin line but thankfully it had travelled no further in any direction. I knew immediately that water was getting past the near side window bar fixing screw. I removed the screw, applied a big blob of soudal Fix-all to the screw and re-tightened it. I put a fan heater on low in the caravan and held the window rubber inside away from the panel with some pieces of plastic straw to enable air to get to the front panel (as did not want it to stain). The sealant has temporarily prevented any more water getting in and the moisture readings are now down nicely. The AWS engineer is coming tomorrow to remove, clean, apply new sealant TAPE to the hinge bar and re-fix with additional fixings.

There was no sign of this ingress and I only found it by chance during a routine damp test (monthly).

So have now had the Heki rooflight and the hinge-bar replaced and have resealed the wheelarches myself so hopefully thats all the known issues attended to and we can get on with enjoying this great caravan.