Adding Heat Vents To 2011 Clubman Si

I am thinking of removing the inside front window sill/ledge in order to add some extra slot vents for the heating. 

The sill gets nice and hot when the heating is on as the pipes from the boiler run under it and I have read somewhere that by adding vents it helpd the van to warm up faster.

I can see a few phillips screws there but unsure if there are any other fixings.

I know that later models had these vents.

Has anyone done this mod?

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE 2015 with Lunar Clubman si 2011

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!

I am thinking of removing the inside front window sill/ledge in order to add some extra slot vents for the heating. 

The sill gets nice and hot when the heating is on as the pipes from the boiler run under it and I have read somewhere that by adding vents it helpd the van to warm up faster.

I can see a few phillips screws there but unsure if there are any other fixings.

My dealer did significant modifications to the heating vents on my 2013 ES, with Alde's approval and at Lunar's expense.

The 10mm gap across the front of the caravan is totally inadequate to disperse the heat potentially available from the full width twin element convector - it should really be 50mm !

The dealer removed the front panel simply by removing the screws - added battens to move the panel rearwards and upwards by an additional 10mm - they also had to move the securing fittings for the centre cabinet as that is moved back by the same amount. They did the same modification to the side ventilation boards to give a 20mm gap - and cut large holes in the side panels of the storage area under the centre cabinet, to allow air to get into the bedbox space.

It has improved thing substantially but we still need to supplement with an electric fan heater.

After I insulated the underfloor pipes, the old Truma Ultraheat blown-air was much better - but fans of Alde disagree with me.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

We have the 2011 TI which is a bigger version of the SI and the mods were done by the dealer and authorised by Lunar as it is a design fault.

It is a big hassle to remove the boards to do the modification, but it is well worth it at the end of the day as the caravan warms up a lot faster.

We also fitted under carpet heating in the front of our caravan between the front bunks. We also upgraded the ALDE control panel to the touchscreen panel as a lot easier to use.

post-65184-0-08548100-1462292848_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the replies, I'm out of warranty now so I will have a go myself.

I have also noticed that the off side rad fin in the front does appear to heat up and there is a bleed valve which I may try.

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!

I recently drained, flushed and refilled my system - the original coolant smelt rank and the bathroom radiator needed constant bleeding - replaced it with purple 5-year G13 coolant (better than the G12++ which Alde use) from Euro Car Parts - time consuming but not difficult.

Depending when it was last done on your 2011, it may be worth doing - Lunar's factory fill is 2-year coolant.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Thank you for the replies, I'm out of warranty now so I will have a go myself.

I have also noticed that the off side rad fin in the front does appear to heat up and there is a bleed valve which I may try.

You still have at least another year under the Sale of Goods Act and are covered for the design fault as it is an inherent fault! The dealer should be doing the modification free of charge. I am not the only one that has had this mod. If you raised a complaint previously about the heating at any time, then you are definitely covered for a free modification. Hope this helps.

• 4 years later...

The colder weather reminded me that I had not completed my modification to the front window sill heating vents which I have now done.
I did not go for the full 100mm cut-outs in the sill that Lunar reccomend as that would have made the cut-outs very visible and I did not trust my carpentry skills.
However with 20mm cut-outs and 10mm blocks creating a 300mm vents have really improved the flow of warm air.

vent.jpg