Sign in to follow this  
hairdresser

Sad No More Caravanning.

After 30 odd years of caravanning we have sold the caravan and have decided to stop. we were never great ones for holidaying in England, so it was Europe, mostly in Italy, as we are in our 70s we found towing was not as easy as it use to be, putting up and taking down a large awning in the heat could be a bit stressful, our son has bought an apartment in Spain so it looks like we will be wintering in Spain, I would to thank you all for the help you have given me over the years, I think I have driven my other half mad as he would go to do something and I would pipe up with,(on my caravan forum they say you should do it this way), well thanks again, Will keep an eye on the forum to see how you are all doing. Carol.

• Like 9

Such a shame you are giving up caravanning at such a young age, still plenty of life ahead of you and could keep going into your eighties.

Have you considered a small camping car/motorhome, you could use this to drive to Spain to visit your Son stopping off at various campsites on the way down and back to the UK, much more interesting than getting a flight.

• Like 2

Alsie has got it in one! Don't give up. ;)

I'm seventy four,my wife is seventy nine,we've recently bought a brand new twenty five foot van and new car.
We are off to Spain in it again in December,we hope,for thirteenth winter for three months.
My wife is a blue badge holder.
How do we cope? Dumped the awning,don't miss it!
Movers take the strain,
Short ferry to Spain,Portsmouth toBilbao.
Max two hundred fifty miles a day or less.
Carry the absolute minimum,two chairs,footrests,min. everything else.
Make it easy,carry on,we have met many older people who transferring to cold,lonely apartments absolutely hate it,no fun or cameradery. enjoy whatever you do.

• Like 5

My Dad continued to take his 'van to France until he was 80. Only my Mums poor health stopped him making another trip. He took to using a sunshade rather than a full awning, covered a bit less mileage and kept things minimal. It worked for him!

John. :)

• Like 1

Ive found as got older the same things i have done the same as Pheasant dumped the Awning and fitted a Fiama caravan store that says on all the time just have to roll it out 10 mins max the awning used to take the best part of an hour use the mover a lot more stay for a month in one place which is cheaper as well then move on somewhere else for the next month this makes it a lot easier

• Like 1

Don,t give up,we are well past our 70s & still use our van for 4 to 6 months every year . It gives us something to

look forward to. If we gave up caravanning what else would we do. We would just stagnate & become one of

these people who,s lives are ruled by the TV.

We know many people like this who seem to be just waiting for the grim reaper. No matter what age you are

life is still for living My wife has painful arthritis I have the big C requiring treatment every 3 mths but by coming

to the sunshine every winter it helps her joints wonderfully. Flights are so cheap in the winter that I can fly back

for my treatment. Nothing is insurmountable we always have something to look forward to.

We enjoy our trips across spain,& now & again we change our route & come back via france.

They will have to carry me kicking & screaming away from caravanning as once the van has gone I am tied to

the house with my freedom gone.

• Like 6

We also had to give up due to eyesight problems after well over 30 years. We only miss the spontaneity of being able to go when we want but we have found some great cottages and hotels.

Very sad news Hairdresser, I am coming to that conclusion as I reach 70 on Tuesday, our longer term plan is to store our van in Spain and get the storage people to site it for us, that will give us the same warm feeling, as even after 40 or so years caravanning we still love it.

After 30 odd years of caravanning we have sold the caravan

What a shame! I did the same after my wife died but - within six months I'd had a rethink and bought another. Now at 86 I still drive to Spain for the four worst months of winter and Yes - the full awning comes with me. Depending on weather, I take up to two weeks to journey from the port at Bilbao to my site at Malaga where I know there will be willing friends ready to help should I need it. All the best to you for the future.

Watching this, don't you just wish you were Peter Gabriel ? Hahaha

Watching this, don't you just wish you were Peter Gabriel ? Hahaha

Slightly over my age range but yep, she's pretty decent.

However I REALLY wish I was Chris Isaak in this video!!

We've just come back from a weekend in Malvern Hills. OH met a Welsh lady in the washrooms who was 84 and her husband 87! We've got a little way to go to catch up but how inspiring? Keeping active keeps you young in mind and body me thinks?!

We meet a Lovely Dutch couple each winter in Spain, both in their mid 80's. Jan is very active but Louisa unfortunately uses a walking frame. However this doesn't stop them joining in anything going. When we first met, they were on the pitch next to us, I noticed Louisa's frame and offered to help Jan with the awning. He refused pointing out that when they couldn't manage the awning they would know it was time to stop caravanning.

I'm 72 and just about to book the Chunnel for six weeks touring Germany and France. We have a Caravan Store awning/sun canopy which is permanently attached to the van, it's just a matter of roll it out.

Don't give up as others have stated keep it simple as possible.

Alan

I've just got to have a go at getting away for the winter, I do envy you all, can't fault it, with not doing this before is it possible to get a planned root with sites included, or is it a matter of obtaining a book of sites and European map then work it out for your self .

The latter . we find the less planning the more fun. Go for it & enjoy it. ;):D

I tend to agree with Old Nick. However, some folk feel more secure with a planned route and booked sites en route. Whichever way you feel more comfortable with, go for it and join us snowbirds down south for the winter. You won't regret it.

Having just re-read your post. There are no published routes etc that I know of but I am sure anyone on here, who is making the journey south at the same time as you, would be more than happy to help.

Edited by sulyka

Do you want to go via France or direct into Spain?

I don't think that cost wise it works out that much different,but others will disagree,we have done both,not much fun in France in winter imo,and not too many camping places open.

We go to Bilbao from Portsmouth,24 hr,journey,if we arrive before noon,Zaragoza is a good stopover,if we arrive later Haro is a short hop,but I believe closes in January.

The caravan and caravan camping club can provide routes,campsite and ferry booking facilities for first timers.

Sign in to follow this