Sign in to follow this  
RobJRob

Alde Heating Danger?

Hi guys first post here and this thread is exactly what I was looking for, We bought last year a 2012 model year but brandnew Delta FB, last year on our second trip the header tank pump failed when in Cornwall our dealer sent one to site via FedEx I fitted it and everything was perfect, we used it once more last year and no issues. We are currently on our first trip on the year and last night the pump failed and got red hot not what you would expect as it's probably only been turned on 5 times. After reading this thread I've just removed the pump and tested it in a cup and it all seems ok I've refitted it and I'm currently testing the system. Trouble is I've no lost all faith in the system and I'm going to go back to my dealer and discuss politely about them fitting an inline pump.

Also how can you tell if you've got the 2 year life coolant or the 5 year life?

Cheers

Barry

Hi Barry, if you go on the Alde website you will find that they have different colours.

Can't remember which is which but I do know that's how you tell.

Usually the first fill from new is the 2 year then when you have it changed you go onto the 5 year. ....Peter

I think that all new Alde systems are filled with 2 year fluid. Why that and not 5 year I am not sure.

• Like 1

Hi Fred, I think it's because they want you to clean the system out early then put the longer lasting one after. A bit like domestic central heating really. .....Peter

I had the expansion tank pump in mine, changed it for an inline pump. Cost about £140, and I fitted it myself- about one hour.

I put the 5 year fluid in as well, which drained out at the same time. The Alde pump is great, I imagine, but they won't sell it over the counter and it's about £500.

The cost- when I fitted mine- was about £50 more than the expansion tank pump, from which I deduce that the cost to the maker is about £30. In a £23000 caravan. Discuss!

I had the expansion tank pump in mine, changed it for an inline pump. Cost about £140, and I fitted it myself- about one hour.

I put the 5 year fluid in as well, which drained out at the same time. The Alde pump is great, I imagine, but they won't sell it over the counter and it's about £500.

The cost- when I fitted mine- was about £50 more than the expansion tank pump, from which I deduce that the cost to the maker is about £30. In a £23000 caravan. Discuss!

The Alde pump for fluid changing might speed the operation up for business use, but is not necessary. Lots of advice on CT. Not hard, just takes longer.

Hi Fred, I think it's because they want you to clean the system out early then put the longer lasting one after. A bit like domestic central heating really. .....Peter

I think the use of 2 year fluid is just down to the van manufacturer. If the system was contaminated leaving it 2 years would be too long anyway. Domestic heating systems can run for many years without flushing as with car cooling systems.

To me, it therefore boils down to manufacturers saving a few bob.

John

• Like 2

Got my van back at the weekend, after a quick discussion my supplying dealer fitted for me the inline pump and 5 year fluid FOC while it was in for its first service.

I've tested it tonight and it works a treat I can't even hear the pump, fingers crossed this has now solved our problem and we can get back to enjoying our van.

• Like 1