Towing Weights And Nose Weight

youngjimmy22

I would love some oppinions here please. These have bugged me for ages and now I am looking for answers.

I am looking at buying a new 'van which weighs mgw 1380kg and my cars max towing weight is 1300kg. The caravan I want to buy has a 200kg user pay load and I have weighed all my stuff and it comes to 100kg. So I am way under the cars max towing weight. Can I still tow this van or do I have to go with the vin plates.

Also my car has a nose weight of 55kg which is stupidly low. Even my old 'van empty has a nose weight of 65kg. If it is just me and the car is empty there is nothing on the suspension so could I go up to 75kg for example. As if I were to load 20kg of wheel clamp etc into the car and the nose weight if I can get it is 55kg it is exactly the same weight on the rear suspension.

I hope I have explained my self clearly and love to hear your thoughts.

Hi youngjimmy,

In order to get a better response it would be useful if you give some more detail,

i. e car - make, model, engine size, diesel/petrol, kerb weight (if known)

caravan Make, and model type.

Don't forget that you also need to include in your payload, the weight of equipment for "essential habitation", which inlude heavy items like batteries, gas bottles etc. You need to allow 75Kg for this and add this to the weight of your "stuff".

At first glance it does not look like a very good match, and may even be a non starter, but without further detail it is not possible to comment further.

Brian

I agree that this doesn't look good. You'll invalidate any warranty you've got on the car and could be pulled over by the police as you are basically running an illegal outfit as I understand things (anyone clarify this?).

http://www. whattowcar. com/ provides a guide for matching car to caravan, or the Caravan Club offers a good phone service for advice (you really need to be a member but they often let you have one query for free as it were).

I had exactly the same type of issue and ended up buying a Bailey Discovery 400 as it was the best 5 birth van that my car could legally tow. It's as light as a feather and I have to work hard to get the noseweight up to 60kg!!

Mike

I would say that this is a NO NO. Legally the van must not weigh more than the van. Also you state that the towing weight of the car is 1300kg which is probably the information in the manual which gives an indication of the maximum that the car can tow up a slight incline. This will NOT be the kerb weight.

It is recommended that the maximum loaded weight of the van does not exceed 85% of the kerb weight of the car and must NEVER be more than 100%.

I would certainly take the other advice given previously and, if a member of a club, ask their advice.

Sorry to be a kill joy but rather that than you have a nasty accident.

Roger

My car is a rover 620i 2 litre petrol, unladen weight 1245kg max gross weight 1820kg and nose weight max is 50kg. In the manual it also has max towing weight starting on a 1 in 8 hill (12%) 1200kg Approx 115bhp

I am looking at buying a swift charisma max laden weight is 1389kg, more details below if needed.

http://www. swiftleisure. com/XQ/ASPX/top. SW. ..odeldetails. htm

My Dad used to tow a swift challenger 490/5 with my car but he overloaded it big time ie 6 bikes in the van pluss personal effects for 6 people. I feel a litle over payload. I was only 15 at the time so it may have been fine. I didn't weigh it.

Hope the details above are useful. If you need any more pleae let me know

Hi

Your van is too heavy for the car even before you put anything in it! You must be joking.

Have you considered Lunar vans - they are extremely light. Our last van was a 6 berth Lunar Arianne 21ft long but weighing in at only 1050.

Either that or get another car - that's what we did to get the Provence.

Emma

You also have a serious problem with the noseweight. You will find it very difficult to get down to 50kg and there is a formula based on the weight of the van. If it is too light you can easily lose stability when towing.

I hate to say this when you are looking at the expense of a new van but I would seriously suggest a change of car. This might not be too bad as your existing car must be heavy on the old juice, especially when towing. A diesel will give you at least 45-50mpg solo and 30mpg towing. Also the additional torque and weight should meant that you are not nearly so limited in your choice of caravan.

I do suggest that you join a club, contact them and take their advice whatever you do.

Whatever you decide, I hope you get your new van and have a great time.

Roger

My car isnt too bad on juice. I only loose 15 miles out of a tank of petrol at the moment when i tow.

50kg is very hard to get yes.

The problem I have with my car is that I have spent so much on reapirs over the last few years there is nothing major to go wrong now and it has done over 200,000 miles so it isn't worth anything. It even passed it's MOT first time last week. That is 5 out of 6 years it has passed first time.

I thought my car was quiete heavy but obviously not :-(

I shall have to investigate older vans and see if they are any lighter.

Thanks for your opinions

I have got my brother, Mum and land lady onto this sum and 85% of my car is 1547kg and the max weight of the caravan I am looking at is 1389kg. I work this out to be 158kg under.

Am I missing something major out here? You did all look at the max weight of car and not the unladen weight of car or is that the figure I am supposed to be looking at. The unladen weight?

I am all confused

Hello Jimmy,

What you need to work to is the kerbweight of your car. If you look at this website:-

http://www. eclipse. co. uk/samwise/frameset. htm

you will see that the kerbweight of your car is given as 1285kgs and 85% of this is 1092kgs. So ideally you are looking for a caravan with an MTPLM (maximum gross weight with all necessary equipment and personal items)of not more than 1100kgs. This weight is also well within the towing limit that you quoted of 1300kgs. There should be plenty of older vans within this weight and a limited number of newer ones.

I don't want to complicate matters but there are different standards for the manufacturers quoted kerbweight. If you have any doubt about this,the best option is to put the car on a public weighbridge.

If your cars noseweight is quoted as 55kgs,then that is the maximum nosewight of the caravan that can be safely supported by the towing bracket of your car.

If you look on the above website you will also find details of caravans. If you have any problems post again. :)

Good Luck,

Frank

Guest john1215

Jimmy,

Someone has already suggested you look at Lunar Caravans, I would recommend the same too, models during the last 4/5 years have been really light when compared to other makes of similar size/specification - what have you got to lose?

john1215

Thanks everyone. I now see that the kerb weight is the weight it comes out of the factory in effect.

I will look at Lunar caravans.

How my Dad got away with a Swift Challeneger I shall never know! Luck must have been on his side.

The hunt shall go on or caravan manufacturers will hopefuly make 'vans lighter. "Laugh"

Unfortunately Lunar have made some of this year's models heavier, by a whopping 100kg. I never thought a shower could be so heavy. Try looking at Adria caravans. For their size they are lightweight.

How my Dad got away with a Swift Challeneger I shall never know! Luck must have been on his side.

Luck, could be. .. Many things are said int this thread and most of them are true. Above all the fact that the legal towing limit of a 620i in Holland is 1200 kg and _not_ 1300. ... So imho it's a no go because the Swift's kerbweight is already 1173 kg.

On the other hand, let's think logical. It is not certain that when you pull out the driveway within the next 2 miles your van gets into a serious snake. . Will it? No, the risk is there and probably a (much) greater risk than with a 85% outit, but driving it as it should, pefectly weight distribution, tyre pressures, slow on declines etc. , etc . ..

In 'the old day's I've pulled a Kip (1000 kgs - loaded 1300 kgs) with a Volvo 360 2 liter (empty 1095. Kerbweight about 1185 kg) flawlessly - within limits of course. That is a combination of 110%!! Unsafe? No. Unsafe in the wrong - unexperienced - hands? Yes. Your father could cope with the combination because the performances of the Rover 620i with a 1300 / 1350 caravan are not bad at all. Our program gives it three stars. Yes red stars because of the weight ratio.

(Just some complementary thoughts)

Regards, Bert

www. whattowcar. com

Thanks everyone. I now see that the kerb weight is the weight it comes out of the factory in effect.

I will look at Lunar caravans.

The hunt shall go on or caravan manufacturers will hopefuly make 'vans lighter. "Laugh"

7666[/snapback]

Hi Jimmy

i don't know what age van you are looking for but as mentioned some of the newer ones are extremly heavy, my van is ten years old nearly and we were very impressed with the amount of specs that came with it and is no-where as heavy as the new vans of today (mtplm 1170) and we towed it comfortably with a vw passat that was also ten yrs old the complete rig of van and car only came to around 7000 pounds, i don't know your budgets but it is possible to get nicely set up on a tight budget, someone was selling a van very similar to mine on the classified section here might be worth a look ? goodluck on your choices cb1701.