Sign in to follow this  
Dirkydel

Alde Anti Freeze

Having the anti-freeze renewed in our van at the moment due to a problem with header tank but have been told that I cannot mix the pink with the blue.

I had bought 2 litre bottles of Alde top up bottles but have been told that these are not compatible with what the dealers are using.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I know the Alde 5 year fluid is compatible with most antifreezes. I emailed them about this recently as I needed to top mine up and wasn't sure what the service centre had used. Here is their reply:

"There are very few ethylene glycol antifreezes that you can't top up with G12++ or G13 spec."

If you wait until tomorrow it's possible that Alde will respond to this thread to confirm as they do monitor the forum.

Mark.

• Like 2

The 2 year fluid is NOT compatible with the G12++ fluid, G12 is red/pink and the two year is blue/green. AFAIK the G13 can be mixed with the G12++. Alde are quite prominent on this site and will more than likely reply tomorrow once back at work.

• Like 1

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/111313-alde-heating-fluid/?p=1263120

From Alde:

Hello there. No industry standard for ethylene glycol antifreeze was ever fixed, but as a general rule:

Blue = 2 year silicate corrosion protection

Red = 5 year OAT corrosion protection

Volkswagen's G12++ and G13 spec is compatible with both of the above, is magenta in colour, with 5 year silicated-OAT corrosion protection. This is the spec we recommend.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/111313-alde-heating-fluid/?p=1263120

From Alde:

Hello there. No industry standard for ethylene glycol antifreeze was ever fixed, but as a general rule:

Blue = 2 year silicate corrosion protection

Red = 5 year OAT corrosion protection

Volkswagen's G12++ and G13 spec is compatible with both of the above, is magenta in colour, with 5 year silicated-OAT corrosion protection. This is the spec we recommend.

Hello there. This is still the case. You can also now obtain G13 (the more environmentally-friendly version of G12++) from Halfords and Amazon, product Comma Xstream GG40 (replaces Xstream G40).

Edited by Alde UK
  • Like 1

So, does it mean that I CAN mix the Alde Antifreeze Premium G12 4070-120 with the 2 year anti freeze or not?????

NO - you don't know what the spec is for the stuff that's already in your van so you have no way of knowing, nor do we, nor do ALDE. Unless you've had the antifreeze changed since you've had the van (2011??) and you know what was put in then it's not a good idea to mix them.

You could try asking your van manufacturer but when I asked Bailey, they didn't have a clue. As far as they were concerned it came in ginormous drums and they just filled the vans with it. All they could say was that it should be replaced after two years.

Edited by matelodave

Bailey use a blue, silicate-containing ethylene glycol antifreeze as standard, with 2 year corrosion protection. You can safely top this up with VAG G12++ or G13 spec antifreeze (magenta in colour), although it will be cheaper and more convenient for most users to pick up a litre of the blue antifreeze above from their local fuel station.

The following video may be helpful.

https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=Mg-Z02QmT90

I am still very confused ?????      can you mix Alde own G13 with blue which Swift put in the heating system from new 

4 minutes ago, Not a Bailey said:

I am still very confused ?????      can you mix Alde own G13 with blue which Swift put in the heating system from new 

No - the 2-year blue needs flushing out before refilling with magenta 5-year G13

Hello. This video on our YouTube channel should clear up the confusion.

https://youtu.be/Mg-Z02QmT90?t=84

We are proposing to visit ALDE end of September to change the 2 year fluid to the 5 year fluid arriving the nights before we are booked in and staying over night at ALDE.  At least we will know the job has been done correctly!

When we visited Alde last year for the fluid change we had them add an extra towel rail.  the work was exemplary.  They also went through their kit with a fine tooth comb.  Replacing FOC the flue fan as it was noisier than they thought as acceptable.   Running the van up to sauna temperature etc. to test it fully.  We have not had to do so much as bleed a radiator since.  Good coffee as well.