Sign in to follow this  
ricky_s

Does Anyone Actually Reverse On To A Pitch These Days?

I know this is sexist, but I wish I could trust my wife to stand in the right place and to gesture correctly. I seem to spend a lot of time looking for her in all mirrors. I don't know why she finds it so hard.

Does she tow the caravan? If not, that may be why she doesn't realise where to stand or what information you require.

My good lady unfortunately has had to surrender her driving licence (because of illness), but she is as competent as anyone towing, so knows instinctively where to stand to be seen, and will give clear (previously agreed) signals. Likewise she can reverse an outfit perfectly well onto a pitch, with me gesticulating in her mirror.

Gordon.

Does she tow the caravan? If not, that may be why she doesn't realise where to stand or what information you require.

My good lady unfortunately has had to surrender her driving licence (because of illness), but she is as competent as anyone towing, so knows instinctively where to stand to be seen, and will give clear (previously agreed) signals. Likewise she can reverse an outfit perfectly well onto a pitch, with me gesticulating in her mirror.

Gordon.

She doesn't drive Gordon, never has. But she does have much experience of using mirrors at home. Also, of late she has developed special driving skills as though she used the back seat.

John

• Like 1

The ability to reverse is an essential skill. Like all skills, you use it or lose it. I'm not saying you should reverse on every given occasion but I think it's a skill worth keeping up.

John. :)

Trust me this one is like riding a bike, You dont lose it. You might become a teensy bit rusty, but its really one of those skills which once mastered stays with you. I was brought up on a farm and at 13-14 years old was reversing tractors and trailers and bailers and things of all sizes quickly and accurately. After college I dont think I had occasion to reverse with anything attached until I dabbled with a speedboat and trailer in my 40s. ( mid life crisis possibly) and the skills had not diminished.

Gordon.

To counter this ( in a jokey way) I stood behind doing hand signals and shouting directions to a " near perfect" reverse onto our drive, whereon, hubby ( bless his cotton socks) wasn't happy about it pulled forward ( in a strop) and nearly took our shared 6' hedge out!!! . . . I'm expecting for sale boards to go up soon after the language that passed between us !!. . . It puts a different slant on " my husband doesn't listen to me "😁😁😁
  • Like 1

I never reverse onto a pitch - there's enough of a floor show when we put the awning up! Seriously though, the motor mover is so stress free and it opens up all kinds of pitch positions not possible when reversing. Factor in also that the mover is pretty much required for the Alko secure lock. ..

These days we find we spend more time jacking up the caravan to rotate the locking wheel without moving the van!

Here's a link to the position of our van on a Spanish site right now. This position wouldn't be possible without the motor mover. Best toy ever.

http://www. caravanramblings. co. uk/?p=1289

• Like 2

Simple answer, Yes.

And, whether you choose to reverse, use a mover, handball it on, its all your choice, BUT, you should not be allowed to tow anything unless you are capable of reversing the combination, nothing to do with pitching but you never know when it might be essential.

Agree as the proud owner of a class one licence the first thing you have to prove on a test is you can go backwards round obstacles long before you go forwards on the roads.

Steve

We purchased our 1st van last May, a new Lunar Clubman. I would class myself as a competent driver (also been riding motorcycles for 35 years too) but decided to go on a towing course prior to collecting the van>

It was OK but they use a lightweight single horsebox and I had to use the instructors car which was fitted with a reversing camera. It was a 2 hour course and gave me more confidence about towing the van than I'd had before but I felt the reversing part (45 minutes in quiet(ish) car park was a little artificial given the size of both the horsebox and the instructors car against my own car & van.

The van itself came with a motor mover, and on every trip we've always used it to get the van exactly where we want it. Yes, it is a little slow but it's very accurate. We took the van to the Dordogne last Summer for 2 weeks and have had regular monthly trips all through the year and I've never had the need to reverse the van.

HOWEVER. I do feel that I want to know how to reverse it just in case of an emergency. My real fear it that we are in a queue for the ferry or a toll in France and someone in front breaks down or there is an accident and we need to reverse quickly and safely. I could make a hash of it and putting the motor mover on would be a right pain.

On reading this thread I've been prompted me to take action. I've now booked onto a day course via the Caravan Club in July, a week before we head to the Dordogne again. It's only £140 although I have to travel to Devizes from Bristol, but I'm hoping it will be an improvement on my initial towing course, and that with practice this skill becomes second nature.

• Like 1

My kind campsite owner does it for me and takes it back into storage when we go home we deliberately picked an area that would be an easy drive from all our favourite spots so no towing required. 😎

On reading this thread I've been prompted me to take action. I've now booked onto a day course via the Caravan Club in July, a week before we head to the Dordogne again. It's only £140 although I have to travel to Devizes from Bristol, but I'm hoping it will be an improvement on my initial towing course, and that with practice this skill becomes second nature.

Well done :D

Reversing an outfit is not as difficult as some make out, just apply a few simple rules, and take it slowly.

Gordon.

• Like 2

Well done :D

Reversing an outfit is not as difficult as some make out, just apply a few simple rules, and take it slowly.

Gordon.

Thanks Gordon. I think it's just a peace of mind thing for me. I'm confident towing it but would like to be able to reverse confidently and efficiently if the need ever arose. I'll do a write up of the course after I've attended.

• Like 1

135 posts !!!!!

Must be one of the most posted on threads surely ???

Andy

• Like 1

I rarely reverse into a UK pitch, as others have mentioned I don't want to damage the grass. Motor mover.

I have a very long outfit in excess of 13. 5m

However in France the size of the pitches mean I generally have no trouble with the required space and the ground is hard, so I tend to reverse then.

I always reverse my van back into storage, although the last time I did, earlier this month, for reasons only known to the gods I made a right pigs ear of it and ha to start again.

I've never been on a course and my skills have improved over the 7 years I have been caravanning.

Steve

Edited by SteveMilner

I've just returned from our local recycling site/local tip and the standard of reversing solo cars has to be seen to be believed. The unloading bays are at 45° to the road so basically you drive past your bay and reverse left hand down into your slot. Seeing the pig's ear 90% of the drivers made of this simple manoeuvre makes me worried that these people actually drive their cars on the road. Cars were abandoned at all sorts of angles and not one car was correctly positioned in any of the ten bays in use. Their understanding of which way to turn the steering wheel when reversing is abysmal. I hope none of today's set of clowns tows a caravan.

• Like 1

I know this is sexist, but I wish I could trust my wife to stand in the right place and to gesture correctly. I seem to spend a lot of time looking for her in all mirrors. I don't know why she finds it so hard. But she's a great cook.

Lol. This is always a topic of "conversation" between my better half and I. I have found a solution to the problem though. I plan to buy a few of those stickers you often see on the back of a lorry and stick them around the back of the van. "If you can't see my mirrors, then I can't see you". I am sure she'll see the funny side. .. eventually :-).

Mark.

• Like 2

Thanks Gordon. I think it's just a peace of mind thing for me. I'm confident towing it but would like to be able to reverse confidently and efficiently if the need ever arose. I'll do a write up of the course after I've attended.

That would not only be interesting, but may encourage others to do the same.

I wish you well.

Gordon.

Simple answer, Yes.

And, whether you choose to reverse, use a mover, handball it on, its all your choice, BUT, you should not be allowed to tow anything unless you are capable of reversing the combination, nothing to do with pitching but you never know when it might be essential.

Of course you do. It will never be essential to reverse a caravan. If I met an HVG on a country lane guess who would do the reversing?

People who reverse caravans are always show-offs doing the unnecessary. Innuendo removed by Admin.

Of course you do. It will never be essential to reverse a caravan. If I met an HVG on a country lane guess who would do the reversing?

People who reverse caravans are always show-offs doing the unnecessary. Innuendo removed by Admin.

Is this a serious post. :unsure:

• Like 3

It can't be.

I don't own the latter. . . . but I can recognise one. . .

• Like 3

People who reverse caravans are always show-offs doing the unnecessary.

You could be sitting in that country lane for a long time!

• Like 1

I don't own the latter. . . . but I can recognise one. . .

Lol!

I find I use the car for just about everything to do with moving the van. I have used the movers when in very tight situations abroad but not that often. I fitted the movers because I like to nose the van onto the rear driveway into the garden. It means the caravan is more secure and the doors on the right side. So in answer to the OP, yes I reverse or drive onto my pitch usually, I sometimes use the movers if I need to.

• Like 1

Innuendo removed by Admin.

Well to keep things in the spirit of the program I think John would say it's either a cocktail or a knockwurst. .. "left hand down sausage" ;-).

Mark.

• Like 1

You could be sitting in that country lane for a long time!

So could the hgv driver and I for one have plenty of time.

If I see someone reversing better than me ( Which is not that difficult ) I think well done a little bit envious maybe, certainly the guys penis does not come to mind, probably will in the future now you brought it up.

• Like 1

If I see someone reversing better than me ( Which is not that difficult ) I think well done a little bit envious maybe, certainly the guys penis does not come to mind, probably will in the future now you brought it up.

Made me giggle to myself!!! He hehehehe

Sign in to follow this