Sign in to follow this  
ricky_s

Does Anyone Actually Reverse On To A Pitch These Days?

I think the OP's terms "dying art" sums this subject and a lots of others too - map reading v GPS etc being another. It's each to their own, like everything else.

Russ

• Like 4

I always use a mover but think I'm still capable of providing comedic entertainment value.

1 Locate van into desired location - tick

2 Move van forward with mover to level horizontally onto blocks of wood, and level front to back - tick

3 Remove Motormover key from side of van, manually disengage mover mechanism - tick

4 Stow mover key, handset and brace in car - tick

5 Wind down corner steadies and put away drill and winder- tick

6 Stand back to admire handwork. .....and realise I haven't put on the Alko wheel lock. Doh!

7 Return to step 1

I've told my wife I'll beat her up if she lets me do this again! :rolleyes:

Hands up anyone who has never done this! Very few I suspect.

Having done it a couple of times in the distant past I now seem to be able to remember - and if I don't I have a friend who does.

We do what ever is easiest to get on to pitch. Often we use the mover to go in nose first to a pitch if it gives us a better view.

The mover does help to get on the drive at home.

I will add that I learnt to drive on a farm, aged 12, spending at least half time go backwards with a trailer on. Reversing does not worry me, I just find it easier as I get old to use the mover!

Extra content added.

Exactly my sentiments. If a mover makes life easier for you - then use it! Don't worry what others say

• Like 2

Exactly my sentiments. If a mover makes life easier for you - then use it! Don't worry what others say

I'd love to have a mover but WHAT a chunk out of your payload !!!!!!. . . Well worth a bit of squabbling . .

I always use a mover but think I'm still capable of providing comedic entertainment value.

1 Locate van into desired location - tick

6 Stand back to admire handwork. .....and realise I haven't put on the Alko wheel lock.

Last year I was talking to a gentleman who was slightly older than me, and he explained if he did not get the Alko lock lined up in place he just fixed it in position with blu-tac, as unless you looked at it very closely it appeared to be attached!

• Like 8

I've always been a reverser, due to rubbish varifocals limiting my peripheral vision my preferred method has been to hang out the open car door for precision parking with (though I say it myself) a reasonable success rate. Having always driven automatics it's a reasonably straightforward job. I need to rethink though, having recently changed my car for a modern bells 'n whistles BMW which is too clever by half because as soon as you open the door the damn gearbox outs itself into Park! A mover is probably on the horizon.

It's Health & Safety gone mad I tell you!

• Like 2

What if like us you haven't got a mover?

Lots of people don't have or want a mover. They have to be careful not to damage the grass, like everyone else.

• Like 1

I use the mover because of heart condition but mostly only for hooking up better than pushing and pulling the final few inches

and its handy when you go to a site with tight pitches narrow roads grass near the pitch etc

Motor mover every time. Saves the clutch too!

• Like 1

Probably would but for the Alko Wheel lock. Insurance requirement so motor mover always.

I've had caravans for many years and a mover for the last seven years. I still reverse onto a pitch unless it is very difficult for some reason and then Leedslass fine tunes the position and the levelling using the mover. It works for us. This way we get onto a pitch quickly ( there may be others wanting to move around the site ) so we don't keep others waiting. I'm still in the habit of reversing but I do value the mover and I'm not too proud to use it, if it makes things easier. For positioning the 'van where we keep it at home, the mover is essential, as caravans have become heavier and I have become older!

John. :)

• Like 1

I can reverse but prefer not too. Having fallen victim to the dreaded dual mass flywheel on my previous car which required 2 replacement clutches, I resolved that it would be the motor mover every time with this car which also has a DMF. Never had to replace a clutch on any previous towcar with a conventional system. Slower with the mover but much easier and absolutely essential on many foreign sites with narrow access roads.

John M

• Like 3

I use the mover, partly due to age and health issues, partly to save the clutch, partly for accurate placement, partly to fit the lock, partly to save grass and partly because I often go to CL's with difficult access.

Before Christmas I went to reverse onto a pitch, mover broke after a couple of feet. Had to unwind auto mover off the wheels and re-hitch up.

Neighbour came to offer help. He wanted to back the van in for me. While this was a nice offer I don't know what made him thinkmI may not be capable. I politely refused and reversed in no problem.

A few years ago I had a mini bus re-test. Had to reverse around a corner, no problem. Surprised though that the examiner said he was impressed as he can't reverse just using the mirrors.

John

• Like 1

I have an HGV artic licence, a PSV licence and a motor mover on my caravan.

If it's convenient to reverse my caravan onto a pitch then I do so, however as I have a motor mover I often use that rather than reversing, usually because at just over 12m long it's almost impossible NOT to run over the grass with either the van or car.

I would agre with others though. Reversing is a vital skill that every tower should posses (but many don't) It does however provide me with much entertainment to watch some owners trying to reverse car and caravan when clearly they don't have a clue, I especially like to see them going backwards and forwards on the same lock!!! It's nearly as entertaining as watching some trying to erect an awning !!

Andy

• Like 4

I don't have a motor mover fitted and probably wouldn't use it if one was fitted to my van as to me I consider it admitting defeat it is all part of the game to take a few times to get your van pitched right, if you could see where I have to store it on the drive at home most wouldn't even consider it. Most of the time it is just down to practice and that makes perfect.

I hate to say it and i am sure this will cause some back lash but i think of motor movers as mobility scooters they are perfectly fine if you genuinely need to aid you but you see so many on these scooters but I can't help but think the people on them that don't really need it :unsure:

No mover on the 'van so it's reverse or nothing - got quite good at it recently.

Paul

I've told my wife I'll beat her up if she lets me do this again! :rolleyes:

Hands up anyone who has never done this! Very few I suspect.

Having done it a couple of times in the distant past I now seem to be able to remember - and if I don't I have a friend who does.

My hands are up!

Well I have a confession

I am the chairman of the east lands institute of advanced motorist

And though I can revers my caravan I never ever do it

The biggest reason is safety. It is easy to jack knife a van if you are not careful and this has happened

On a site a few years back and the good lady wife was very badly hurt

With the motor mover it may be slow but that is a good thing

And another thing.

I bought it so I want to use it lol

James

• Like 3

Another one without a motor mover, so have reverse/pull/push, toying with replacing ours (again) later this year and will be budgeting on a mover, find some sites a bit tight to reverse and too lumpy for pushing!

"Does Anyone Actually Reverse On To A Pitch These Days?"

Having never owned a caravan with a mover, I think you can guess my answer ;)

Gordon.

I can't remember the last time I used the mover on a site but I always use it to leave and enter the drive way.

Even though it's wide enough for the caravan and two cars it's on a slope and the caravan has to be tightly parked next to my fence to leave enough space for the cars.

On site I toggle the van using a wooden block to align up for the Alko lock

On site I toggle the van using a wooden block to align up for the Alko lock

Sounds interesting TC . .. please expand further.

John

It's quite simple Johnaldo I reverse the van in under "professional" guidance ( the wife) getting the wheel alignment as close as possible for the Alko lock then unhitched the van.

I then place a small block of wood under the tyre of the opposite wheel to act as a brake on that side. I then just pull the van sideways until the Alko lock aligns up. After fitting I remove the block and square up the van.

To move the wheel forward to align up the Alko place the block at the front of the tyre and at the rear of the tyre to move the wheel backwards to align the Alko.

Hope this helps

• Like 2

It's quite simple Johnaldo I reverse the van in under "professional" guidance ( the wife) getting the wheel alignment as close as possible for the Alko lock then unhitched the van.

I then place a small block of wood under the tyre of the opposite wheel to act as a brake on that side. I then just pull the van sideways until the Alko lock aligns up. After fitting I remove the block and square up the van.

To move the wheel forward to align up the Alko place the block at the front of the tyre and at the rear of the tyre to move the wheel backwards to align the Alko.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the explanation TC . .. now I understand.

I do the same thing when I take the van to storage on my own . .. but I've never bothered with the 'chock', just done the side-to-side waggle.

Can I ask why you don't do as we do and get SWMBO to tell you to stop when the Alko is lined up?

John

I had to learn to reverse the caravan about 15 years ago, catching the Aberdeen-Lerwick ferry - the old ship, now replaced, had her bow doors welded shut as a safety measure after the Zeebrugge disaster so the caravans had to reverse up the loading ramp which looked so narrow into what looked like a black hole - all the the instructions of dockers using Doric as their first language.

It was a nightmare but I only had to stop and pull forward to straighten twice - felt quite pleased on the return ferry as I hadn't had to straighten once.

Sign in to follow this