Sign in to follow this  
ricky_s

Does Anyone Actually Reverse On To A Pitch These Days?

. I have thought about having a reversing bleeper

fitted, but thought they were illegal on a caravan? Ray.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/x2-Reverse-Beeper-Bulbs-Reversing-Bleeper-Bulb-Alarm-Car-Lorry-caravan-Van-12-v-/201205762787?hash=item2ed8cc4ae3:g:Rd8AAOxyGstSANRR

Here's one on Fleabay. I don't know about the legality of it though.

John. :)

• Like 1

Hi John,

What a good idea. Pity we can't have "This caravan is reversing" as well as the bleep :)

BTW I reverse onto pitches, no motormova for me, well not yet :rolleyes:

Thanks Antony

Ian,

Thank goodness you are OK. I thought that you had been shot in your Zoo in America yesterday!

TF

Thanks for your concernbut I was in deepest darkest Doncaster Yesterday :D . .

• Like 1

What did we all do years ago before we had motor movers. Just get yourself out to a large empty car park with a few cones and have a go . Agree with Alexbee

Ah the good old days when you cuuld use the man with the flag who walked in front of you tio watch you reverse, who needs pprogress.

• Like 1

. Hi there, I have actually got one of those. I bought it a few years ago and so did a mate of mine. He fitted his and it didn't bleep, it just made a whistling sound. So I never got round to trying mine. On top of that with another caravan we had, a light blew on the back and as I unscrewed the lens, something fell into the body of the van and the screw didn't have anything to screw into. Bit frightened now.

Looking at upgrading our van later today and we will be having a motor mover fitted for the simple reason that we were on a site at the weekend that was too narrow to reverse our rig without going into the opposite pitch, ok as the first ones there not so good if you were the last as it would have meant pushing it . ......uphill! Reversing will still be the order of the day though, mm will be a backup.

. I have thought about having a reversing bleeper

fitted, but thought they were illegal on a caravan? Ray.

They are. You also have the added danger of young children trying to see where the noise is coming from.

Can anyone recommend a wireless reversing camera, make price etc where to buy.

They are. You also have the added danger of young children trying to see where the noise is coming from.

Why are they illegal on caravans but are ok on lorries, surely the sound will have the same effect on adults and children?

Why are they illegal on caravans but are ok on lorries, surely the sound will have the same effect on adults and children?

I can see arguments both for and against an audible warning when reversing a caravan but I too have heard that they are only approved for commercial vehicles, however I have not searched for proof of this either way - just hearsay comments.

Gordon.

• Like 1

I don't think the rules below count if on private land ie Caravan Site, but you are not allowed to have audible reversing sounds on a public highway unless you are a good vehicle over 2000kg.

(3) No person shall sound, or cause or permit to be sounded, on a road any reversing alarm fitted to a vehicle—

(a)unless the vehicle is a goods vehicle which has a maximum gross weight not less than 2000 kg, a bus, engineering plant, or a works truck; or

(b.) if the sound of the alarm is likely to be confused with a sound emitted in the operation of a pedestrian crossing established, or having effect as if established, under Part III of the 1984 Act.

Edited by Happydays3

I can see arguments both for and against an audible warning when reversing a caravan but I too have heard that they are only approved for commercial vehicles, however I have not searched for proof of this either way - just hearsay comments.

Gordon.

Audible devices (other than the horn) should not be fitted to any vehicle other than goods vehicles with a mass greater than 2000kg. It's buried in the construction and use regs somewhere, (reg 34 possibly). It's amongst the bits that say you shouldn't use your horn when stationary or in a built up area after 11pm etc.

If I get a minute I'll look it up.

The provenance for not allowing every vehicle to have them is that where a lot of vehicles are together IE cars in carparks etc the general cacophony becomes just back ground noise and therefore gets ignored so defeating the object. Hence the more recent voiced alarms (because the studies that support this show humans react to voices better than tones) or more recently white noise generators.

Can anyone recommend a wireless reversing camera, make price etc where to buy.

Hi John Take a look at these links they just maybe of some help

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/115216-rear-view-camera/

http://www. parkingcameras. com/store/home. php

Kind regards

Andrew

Caravans are not goods vehicles. Generally you'll only hear reversing alarms on public roads or areas where the general public, especially children, don't have access such as factory yards, warehousing areas etc. Hopefully on public roads children will be supervised by a responsible adult, however, on caravan sites children are quite often left to their own devices which is why I think the danger exists. Adults are unlikely to try and look under a reversing caravan to search for the sound of the alarm, children may.

As has been said previously, if you can't see where you are going and no one is guiding you then you shouldn't be going there.

If you think it's fun reversing onto a pitch, try collecting a boat like this:-

Can't be done? Of course it can with practice.

Not so sure the bikes on the front bumper are such a good idea though.

Don't take this post too seriously as I'm not advocating towing two trailers or breaking the UK traffic laws.

The provenance for not allowing every vehicle to have them is that where a lot of vehicles are together IE cars in carparks etc the general cacophony becomes just back ground noise and therefore gets ignored so defeating the object. Hence the more recent voiced alarms (because the studies that support this show humans react to voices better than tones) or more recently white noise generators.

But we are not talking about "every vehicle" we are talking a caravan, so your example above is not really relevant.

Also I have seen [heard)Tesco and Sainsburys grocery home delivery vans with them on?

Audible devices (other than the horn) should not be fitted to any vehicle other than goods vehicles with a mass greater than 2000kg. It's buried in the construction and use regs somewhere, (reg 34 possibly). It's amongst the bits that say you shouldn't use your horn when stationary or in a built up area after 11pm etc.

If I get a minute I'll look it up.

Reg 99 Its moved

But we are not talking about "every vehicle" we are talking a caravan, so your example above is not really relevant.

Also I have seen [heard)Tesco and Sainsburys grocery home delivery vans with them on?

So what weight do you think Tesco and Sainsbury delivery vans are then?

• Like 1

So what weight do you think Tesco and Sainsbury delivery vans are then?

Transit Luton or equivilent!

Transit Luton or equivilent!

Over 2000kg then.

Asda's are 3. 5 tonnes

Years ago on farms,I used to reverse thirty foot trailers,loaded to about twenty feet high with two wheels at front,plus two at the back,

Used to enter competitions with young farmers,secret? slow,slow,think think,don't over react.

• Like 2

If you think it's fun reversing onto a pitch, try collecting a boat like this:-

https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=k0VHFK7Njps&feature=youtu. be&t=68

Can't be done? Of course it can with practice.

https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=Yn0lIlDgHJk&feature=youtu. be&t=26

Not so sure the bikes on the front bumper are such a good idea though.

Don't take this post too seriously as I'm not advocating towing two trailers or breaking the UK traffic laws.

Years ago on farms,I used to reverse thirty foot trailers,loaded to about twenty feet high with two wheels at front,plus two at the back,

Used to enter competitions with young farmers,secret? slow,slow,think think,don't over react

This is very much similar to MY reversing skills. . . . . . . . What?????!!!!

• Like 1