Sign in to follow this  
ricky_s

Does Anyone Actually Reverse On To A Pitch These Days?

One of the fun aspects of caravanning for me in the past was watching people make a complete pigs ear of reversing on to a pitch, but it seems since I last had a van about ten years ago that the majority now use a mover to put their van on to a pitch, even though this takes much longer from what I can see.

Is reversing now a lost art?

• Like 3

I always reverse into pitch until my "trusted" smelly clutch starts to whiff, then its the mover :)

• Like 2

On the CL site we use regularly, we like pitch 5 which is at the end of the site. There is no where to turn round so I have to reverse past pitches 1 - 4 and then left into the pitch. I must say it's easier since I bought the Lexus (auto) and a lot quieter as it does it using the electric motors - I can easily hear the wife shouting calling out the instructions.

• Like 4

I always try to if there is sufficient room without going on the grass, then final adjustments with the mover for the wheel lock.

I agree it does provide some entertainment, similar to putting up awnings

• Like 6

I've seen a couple or so recently reversing their outfit onto hard standing pitch ok, but allowing the caravan wheel to cut the corner off and damage the grass. This manouver followed by a forward and reverse shunt carving the grass up opposite the pitch. I feel that if the reversing manouver has to be done at expense of the grass, the motor over should be used in preference. It's such a shame when the grass is carved up as we all have to look at it. The site operators have to spend many hours repairing unnecessarily damaged grass.

• Like 3

No shouting, just hand signals, same for checking lights.

• Like 1

I'll usually use the mover to fine tune my position especially if I'm using levelling ramps. So if it's going to be used anyhow, I have often just used it to fully reverse onto the pitch as I'm going to be engaging it at some point.

• Like 2

I just do whatever is easier depending on the site and access to the pitch. ... sometimes it's reversing and sometimes it's the mover or a bit of both. As I have a BPW wheel lock (like the Al-ko one) using the mover is inevitable in order to align the lock through the wheel. Sometimes it's easier to use it to begin with as I will need to engage it sooner or later :-).

Not sure there is any right or wrong answer. If you have a mover and it's what you feel most comfortable with then why not use it?

Mark.

• Like 8

I don't often see people pitching their caravans,the last time being a couple of years ago.

After making a "pigs ear" reversing with the car, the driver unhitched the caravan at an awkward angle across the site road. He forgot to apply the caravan brake on a slope until a neighbour shouted a warning. He then tried to operate the mover to find the caravan battery had insufficient power. At that point I asked the Warden to bring his tractor to carry out the pitching before any accidents occurred as I fully expected the driver and partner to attempt to manhandle the caravan into position on a sloping pitch. :o

Since having a motor mover fitted last year I now always unhitch adjacent to the pitch and use the mover to pitch. Last December getting close to the pitch with the car was not an option on a waterlogged site in Cambridge and I unhitched on the site road using the mover to cross 20 yards of very boggy grass.

• Like 1

I've seen a couple or so recently reversing their outfit onto hard standing pitch ok, but allowing the caravan wheel to cut the corner off and damage the grass. This manouver followed by a forward and reverse shunt carving the grass up opposite the pitch. I feel that if the reversing manouver has to be done at expense of the grass, the motor over should be used in preference. It's such a shame when the grass is carved up as we all have to look at it. The site operators have to spend many hours repairing unnecessarily damaged grass.

What if like us you haven't got a mover?

What if like us you haven't got a mover?

You should do what Al Read, a northern comedian in the early 1950s, suggested in a sketch about car parking.

"Leave it there we will park pitch the others round yours" :lol:

Edited by DeeTee
  • Like 2

I've got to, no mover on our van.

I normally reverse it onto the pitch as best as I can, and then straighten it by hand. It can be quite difficult on tight pitches, or if the pitch is sloping, but I haven't failed yet.

However our next van will probably have a mover fitted.

I consider being able to reverse a caravan where ever it has to go to be essential in being allowed to tow a caravan. !!!!!!!

Did this years before gaining an HGV license. How? just go away somewhere quiet and practice till you have it right. If at all possible start with a large car trailer which allows better visibility.

Many years ago I thought I was about to get a "Bunch of fives" as I near wet myself watching a bloke trying to park his van on to a pitch----a grass field with no pitch markings as such.

Unfortunately, this was in the days before video cameras.

No, yea canna beat skill.

• Like 6

You should do what Al Read, a northern comedian in the early 1950s, suggested in a sketch about car parking.

"Leave it there we will park pitch the others round yours" :lol:

Heheheheh . . Last time we were out I felt like THATS what we should have done!!! , I'm shouting, mikes not hearing ( but all the near by caravanners are) . . . We were lucky we could un hitch and just push it as it's very light, we didn't fall out over the awning going up though!!!!!

I have a mover that cost me quite a few quid and I use it. ...

Unless I think I can pull up and reverse easily without too much hassle and clutch wear involved I always use the mover. ..

Sorry if I've contributed in ruining your entertainment. ... :)

• Like 4

I think we're about 36' long hitched with no motor mover, I'm glad I stay on CL's 99% of the time, I don't know how some places expect you to get in without killing a bit of grass!

I consider being able to reverse a caravan where ever it has to go to be essential in being allowed to tow a caravan. !!!!!!!

Did this years before gaining an HGV license. How? just go away somewhere quiet and practice till you have it right. If at all possible start with a large car trailer which allows better visibility.

Many years ago I thought I was about to get a "Bunch of fives" as I near wet myself watching a bloke trying to park his van on to a pitch----a grass field with no pitch markings as such.

Where our van is stored, due to the layout it's impossible to drive in through the gates to be able to turn, so I have to reverse the van through the gates passing caravans on both sides, and sometimes there will be a car in the way if someone else is hitching up so have to manoeuvre around that as well.

By having to do this, it has given me more confidence when we get to site, don't get me wrong I can still make a pig's ear of it, but having to reverse the van in the storage compound has certainly helped.

• Like 1

We were on a site last week watching the world go by, in comes a large 4wd and twin axle van, which did a couple of circuits of the site and came back up a one way road the wrong way, selecting the pitch next door but one to us, this involved turning left and reversing straight back onto the pitch, after about 15 minutes back and forth, the wife had a go and fared no better, so shouting ensued, at which point wife unloads a dog from the back of the car and storms off, hubby has another go, still no further to getting it on the pitch, by now the misses Is nagging me to go and help . which I would have been more than happy to do, but as tempers were getting a bit frayed I decided to bottle it . However another guy, who must have been watching offered assistance and put it in place in one shunt . It does make me wonder how he gets on in an even more awkward place .

I use the car, unless that means churning up the grass .

We reverse on where there is room. Many continental sites have very restricted access (from very narrow access roads) so it then has to be the mover.

• Like 3

Yes ! Only when I have to. My usual pitches are drive on.

I agree you should be able to reverse a caravan if your on the road as there can be occasions that you may need to reverse . Many roads are wide enough for vehicle to pass but you can meet a HGV or tractor and you are expected to possibly reverse back to wider section . You often see people driving round sites looking for a pitch that they can pull straight on and then off . I saw someone at Delph Bank spend 25 minutes going forwards and back he must of gone forwards and back about 30 times and being down wind it stunk of clutch smoke . In the end they gave up a pushed it on to the pitch.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

We do what ever is easiest to get on to pitch. Often we use the mover to go in nose first to a pitch if it gives us a better view.

The mover does help to get on the drive at home.

I will add that I learnt to drive on a farm, aged 12, spending at least half time go backwards with a trailer on. Reversing does not worry me, I just find it easier as I get old to use the mover!

Extra content added.

Sign in to follow this