Uk Caravan Speed Limit

Guest MX51ROD

Guest MX51ROD

Is it about time the motorway / dual carrage way speed limit for car /caravan combinations which meet weight limit criteria for the tow vehicle was raised to the same as the national limit for the road in use

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure the limits for dual carrageways/motorways should be raised above 60mph. Not because I have anything against higher speed but our roads are so crowded that it could tempt people to drive faster than they safely should. As it is lots of people seem to tow at higher speeds anyway. However I do think the limit of 50mph should be raised to 60mph because if we all drove to the speed limit we would seriously hold up traffic. One thing about towing it becomes pretty obvious when you are going too fast!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I would be curious to know the view from one of the friendly policemen who frequent this forum!! On a good straight stretch of single carriageway road 50mph does indeed seem quite slow. One might be inclined to put ones foot down just a little for fear of building up too long a queue behind. (I have been known to pull in to let the cars behind go past) so, assumming we are doing 55-60mph, would our friends in blue seriously pull us over (perhaps even exacerbating the length of the queue behind us?!!

Regards

David, Callum and Connor (NRF)

I agree with MX51ROD (with whom I share the love of the MX5 - though not for towing).

I remember setting out for Portsmouth along the M4 some years ago en route to Spain. With plenty of time for the journey I decided to stick to the speed limit.

Not for long - I didn't enjoy mixing it with HGV's and soon felt safer travelling that little bit faster which kept me out of everyone's way.

I think the French have the answer. Their Autoroutes are well signposted with warning signs for caravans and high sided vehicles at danger spots e. g. down hilll, exposed stretches liable to cross-winds, wind socks etc. The route into Spain near Perpignan is well signposted with warnings for winds etc.

Responsible speed is the answer - I too have pulled in to allow traffic to pass only to re-join and often keep up.

Guest john1215
I would be curious to know the view from one of the friendly policemen who frequent this forum!!  On a good straight stretch of single carriageway road 50mph does indeed seem quite slow. One might be inclined to put ones foot down just a little for fear of building up too long a queue behind. (I have been known to pull in to let the cars behind go past) so, assumming we are doing 55-60mph, would our friends in blue seriously pull us over (perhaps even exacerbating the length of the queue behind us?!!

Regards

David, Callum and Connor (NRF)

6940[/snapback]

The "boys in blue" can use their discretion, they would weigh up the circumstances at the time and if needed they would do a stop when it was safe to do so, this is more probable if the speed had been recorded by electronic means and on video as is the norm these days, it can be played back wherever the stop takes place, to cause a traffic hold up is really counter productive to traffic flow. Quite often, there could be a leniency up to 10% of the maximum speed limit

Lets be honest, how many of us pull over to let traffic pass, well, I don't "pull in" to let traffic pass if I don't consider myself to be the cause of the hold up. I can maintain the speed limit so why should I? It is often others that hold me up, whatever I do when I'm towing the caravan I'll get the blame whether I pull in or not. If you pull in, you only please the drivers that see you do it, no one else gives a damn. I've broken the speed limit - who hasn't, it is easily done.

john1215 (standing back to wait for the flak)

Lets be honest, how many of us pull over to let traffic pass, well, I don't "pull in" to let traffic pass if I don't consider myself to be the cause of the hold up. I can maintain the speed limit so why should I? It is often others that hold me up, whatever I do when I'm towing the caravan I'll get the blame whether I pull in or not. If you pull in, you only please the drivers that see you do it, no one else gives a damn. I've broken the speed limit - who hasn't, it is easily done.

john1215 (standing back to wait for the flak)

6946[/snapback]

I agree with you John. I'll only pull over if I am causing the queue. If there is someone in front of me going slow and I cann't overtake then I will stay behind them until either I can overtake or they turn off.

The thing that bugs me the most are the idiots on motorways who stick in the middle lane at a slower speed than me. That and stupid lorry drivers who pull out immediately in front of you and overtake another lorry going 0. 00005 mph faster than the lorry they are overtaking. They usually then hit a very slight incline and after 10 minutes decide that they cann't overtake and pull in.

Rant over

Pete

There has been a bit of discussion recently about the present towing speed limits. I would leave them as they are.

. .............On a good straight stretch of single carriageway road 50mph does indeed seem quite slow. One might be inclined to put ones foot down just a little for fear of building up too long a queue behind. (I have been known to pull in to let the cars behind go past) so, assumming we are doing 55-60mph, would our friends in blue seriously pull us over (perhaps even exacerbating the length of the queue behind us?!!...................

6940[/snapback]

Personally, if the speed limit is 50, I'm not going to do 60 just to please others who probably want to get past to do 70! A speed limit is a speed limit, full stop. If I am causing a queue doing 50, no copper is going to tell me to break it. I'd report him if (s)he did.

UK speed limits for car & Caravan

I Hope this site Helps answer any questions about the UK speed limits

And It works now

6967[/snapback]

The interesting one, of course is that HGVs over 7. 5 tonnes should only be doing 40 m/hr on single carriageway and 50 on dual-carriageway (non-motorway).

It all boils down to the fact that most of us know what speed limits are, but when we choose to ignore them and get caught, then "cry wolf". This would be no reason to change the speed limits.

Guest Coachman

I agree with Tony we should keep to the speed limit . John if you go to fast yours could be the vann that end up all over the Road when you have an Accident . When I go out with my vann the Journey is part of the Holiday . So I say slow down and enjoy !!!!!!! B)B)

I am not so sure there is that much of a demand for raising the speed limit. In all the time I have been towing I have rarely see caravanners even reaching the speed limit. The only towers that regularly seem to break limits have been those pulling luggage trailers or trailer tents and I suspect many of them did not even know of the limits for trailers, how many of them do you spot in the 3rd lane of the motorway?

Since pulling a van I have tended to drive at the limit. My van is well below the 85% figure for the car and there seems to be plenty of power there. In all the towing I did in the last year I was passed on about 2 occasions by other vanners. I overtook lots of others on every motorway journey I took so I cannot see there are that many that want to go faster.

The French have the right idea the same speed for everyone except where a specific speed limit applies to lorries coaches and caravans. I just tend to keep up with the general flow without being too outrageous never more than 70mph :D

Chris L

Hi

I just wanted to add that speed limits indicate the MAXIMUM speed a person should be driving in normal conditions. I do not consider it an every day occurence when I tow my 23ft van and so I slow down to a speed where I feel in total control. You will never see me on a motorway travelling over 60mph with the van on the back - but without the van I will go to 70. I tend to err on the cautious side - a cross wind can be unpredictable as can a heavy load overtaking as well as the behaviour of other road users and I aim rather to be late on arrival than dead on arrival. People can always over-take me and I won't be rushed. I do not crawl along on the inside lane but travel at a comfortable speed within the limited with the knowledge that I am responsible not only for the safety of my selfe but also my husband and three children who will be in the car with me.

Emma

In the last 15 years I have journeyed up and down the M5, M6, M1 and across the M4, round the M25 and down the M2 and M20 too many times to recall. Whenever possible and safe I travel at the speed limit - very comfortable usually too. Occasionally over the years I have actually passed other caravans travelling at less than the allowable speed limit but the rule, as I have observed, is that more caravans pass me than the other way round. Some really fly past and must be doing well over 70mph+.

That's fine. I don't have a problem with any of that.

And I must also add that I have never actually witnessed a caravan accident in UK in all my driving and towing years although I have seen, or been in the tailbacks caused by lots of HGV and car accidents on motorways, Would that suggest that actually the vast majority of 'vanners tow within their own particular capabilities and avoid dangerous situations? Or is it just that there are so few of us on the roads anyway?

. ........or do I need glasses?????

. ..........................And I must also add that I have never actually witnessed a caravan accident in UK in all my driving and towing years. ...........

7105[/snapback]

I have and believe me it is NOT a pretty sight. First time I was travelling up the M40 to London, an outfit passed me (I was only doing 65 solo) and it must have been going at just over 70. It got safely past me, as I slowed down even more. Next thing it was all over the road and finished up like so much matchwood. I had stopped without incident. The family of four were extremely shaken and I am sure it was the end of a holiday never to be forgotten for them.

Seen the aftermath of a couple since then. Having said that, statistics show that caravans are involved in only a minority of accidents.

UK speed limits for car & Caravan

I Hope this site Helps answer any questions about the UK speed limits

(And It works now) :)

6967[/snapback]

There is also EU legislation on HGV's and coaches, which is a little different to UK speed limits, in that they are fitted with speed limiters as follows

HGV's 90kph (56mph)

Coaches 100kph (62. 5mph)

So if you are on the motorway at 60mph you should be passing HGV's but you will still get the coaches coming past. It is also the reason why HGV's are very slow overtaking each other as they are limited to the same speed but in practice one will be very slightly different to another.

Brian

well i believe if the car and van are a good match 50+ is ok i dont do much below 60 as im just hitting the power band of the car so in essance the car is just ticking over at 50, i have done short bursts of 70 to get past annoying drivers going too slow in their cars (no van at back) :blink: but ofcourse weather and road conditions would govern how i drove on any road anyway

Guest john1215
I agree with Tony  we should keep to the speed limit . John if you go to fast yours could be the vann that end up all over the Road  when you have an Accident . When I go out with my vann the Journey is part of the Holiday . So I say slow down and enjoy !!!!!!! B)  B)

6973[/snapback]

Let me clarify that I HAVE broken the speed limit but I normally stick to it, I can ill afford a speeding fine, I keep up with the traffic flow. Confession time again as I break the limit abroad but I don't go made, I value my families lives, my own and the car and van. I practice the skills taught to me by the police driving school and intend to retain my advanced driving skills as long as I can (thought I'd blow my own trumpet - please forgive me)

The Police will not tell anyone to go faster than the speed limit in force at the time, to do so would a little hypocritical - wouldn't it.

john1215

Whats the rush, I would rather arrive in one piece and a bit late than become late and not arrive at all.

If speed limits for towing were raised novices would be tempted to go at speeds they are not safe driving at, think of other road users.

I do agree that when not towing motorway limits for cars should be increased, the 70 limit was brought in when cars were not built to todays extremely high safety standards.

Don't forget when towing your van the majority of the time you are on holiday so either set off earlier or don't go as far if you want to be somewhere for a certain time and just enjoy the safe drive.

Wildkat

I would more than recommend taking the advance driving test, it completely changes your attitude to driving and your thoughts of other road users.

I have passed both the RoSPA Advance test and the IAM advance test.

First and foremost, how accurate is your speedo ?? I know on my speed at an indicated 70mph, I am actually doing 63mph

so by the same token, you could be driving along with your caravan on the back quite happily at an indicated 60mph, but in actual fact only be doing around 55mph, and when someone else towing a van passes you at quite possibly an ACTUAL 60mph, you see him as speeding

:rolleyes: I think the speed limits we have are fine the way they are. They say speed kills and I have to agree with them. There are too many caravaners that get into trouble as it is without causing more problems by increasing the speed limits. There are always those who need to go that bit faster than the limit anyway. Put it up to 60 and 70 and they will have to do that bit more. As for units being better than they were, they all look bad when they are on their side smashed to bits. Perhaps if people saw what I see then speed would'nt be so important to them.

After working on the trunk roads and motorways for the past 15 years and seeing cars and caravans involved in accidents each year including 4X4's I would say 50% or more are speed related other reasons are poor loading and poorly matched outfits So I would say speed limits are worth taking note of and warning signs of crosswinds etc. other wise it could be you we are coming out to clear up and boy does it take some clearing up. Dont become another accident statistic stick to the speed limits.

Most car speedos read high.

I checked mine using a friends satnav. With cruise control on and on a straight flat road I got the following

sat nav speed 60mph, car speedo 64mph

sat nav speed 70mph, car speedo 75mph

Brian

Guest john1215

I disagree with the comments that the solo speed limit of 70 mph on motorways should be increased - why should it what are the benefits, many drivers nowadays are unable to stop in time at 70 mph, increasing the speed limits would increase the number that couldn't stop in time and increase the number of fatalities. What does need doing is to improve the quality of the existing motorways in an effort to ease the congestion that is so often the cause of drivers becoming irate, this has an adeverse effect on road rage which has an adverse effect on accidents. .......it's a never ending spiral, downwards. One thing that is different these days is the driving test has got more difficult to pass, perhaps we should put everyone through a driving test, maybe that would improve standards.

I've got off the original post subject but I suppose some of it is relevant.

john1215

From what I have read (being a newbie) but also from some towing experience about 10 years ago, more speed results in less stability.

My brother always goes on about how him & the missus "tick off" how many other outfits they pass in their Discovery when towing. Having seen a discovery towed outfit completely destroyed on the motorway out of Calais last year, I'll stick to a reasonable 60 mph.

The only time I've ever seen a caravan snake was when he was towing & went flat out down one of the main roads in south cumbria, downhill.

Archived