I've just made myself a power supply for my basic satellite finder (The needle and buzzer type).

I've put some pictures in the gallery and hope this link works?

For those who want to know exactly which satellite you are looking at don't look any further as this is not for that type of finder. This is simply to enable me to take the dish out and find the best location in 'marginal' sites where there may be trees or a hedge in the way etc. It's also for those who are good at finding the correct satellite already using a good old compass and or knowing where SW is and turning it south until you get the first hit.

Any way, just thought I'd share. Cost me about £7 including the batteries.

• Like 2

I've just made myself a power supply for my basic satellite finder (The needle and buzzer type).

For those who want to know exactly which satellite you are looking at don't look any further as this is not for that type of finder. This is simply to enable me to take the dish out and find the best location in 'marginal' sites where there may be trees or a hedge in the way etc. It's also for those who are good at finding the correct satellite already using a good old compass and or knowing where SW is and turning it south until you get the first hit.

An app on your phone is much easier.

http://www. norsat. com/solutions/satellite-solutions/satellite-locator-app/

or the basic but useful

http://www. dishpointer. com/

An app on your phone is much easier.

http://www. norsat. com/solutions/satellite-solutions/satellite-locator-app/

or the basic but useful

http://www. dishpointer. com/

They just tell you roughly which direction to point the dish. They don't tell you that you have locked on or what strength the signal is.

Good idea but do you have any idea of battery life yet?

No not yet, but the LNB won't be taking much so expect the batteries to last a couple of years if not more depending how many times they are used.

A simple but good idea as sometimes I am unsure of where to get a line of site between trees or other obstructions. I must now make one myself.

• Like 1

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

They just tell you roughly which direction to point the dish. They don't tell you that you have locked on or what strength the signal is.

No not yet, but the LNB won't be taking much so expect the batteries to last a couple of years if not more depending how many times they are used.

If I recall correctly, the LNB can draw up to 5v for it to be operational, but not sure of amp. However if you have difficulty finding the satellite due to trees, hills etc, it will probably use up battery power a lot quicker.

I use the same sort of item in my Satlink meter that has rechargeable battery to supply the 18v but that gives me only the Sat I am looking for and even view on a screen . Surely just supplying the power would allow you to find a sat as you say . .... which one ? You would need to connect the receiver to find out and most cheap sat finders of about £5 can take batteries to do the same .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I use the same sort of item in my Satlink meter that has rechargeable battery to supply the 18v but that gives me only the Sat I am looking for and even view on a screen . Surely just supplying the power would allow you to find a sat as you say . .... which one ? You would need to connect the receiver to find out and most cheap sat finders of about £5 can take batteries to do the same .

Dave

The point is this is for those of us who know where the satellite is and are only seeking to refine the dish alignment using a low cost finder. Therefore even before deploying the cable you with dish/finder and powerpack can find a suitable site and set everything up; I certainly like the idea but would integrate a switch so I could immediately stop the "scream" from the finder ASAP as it drives management into distress.

Great contribution Mallah thanks; so in essence the LNB driver from the decoder is no more than a stable 18 VDC ? I was just assuming it was far more sophisticated than that. Off to the workshop pronto.

• Like 1

The point is this is for those of us who know where the satellite is and are only seeking to refine the dish alignment using a low cost finder. Therefore even before deploying the cable you with dish/finder and powerpack can find a suitable site and set everything up; I certainly like the idea but would integrate a switch so I could immediately stop the "scream" from the finder ASAP as it drives management into distress.

Great contribution Mallah thanks; so in essence the LNB driver from the decoder is no more than a stable 18 VDC ? I was just assuming it was far more sophisticated than that. Off to the workshop pronto.

I did consider a switch, however they were all rated at 12v and as this has essentially 18v with new batteries was a little worried about frying it. I tend to reduce the sensitivity on the Sat Finder to stop the buzzing, so will stick with that as a 'switch'

If I recall correctly, the LNB can draw up to 5v for it to be operational, but not sure of amp. However if you have difficulty finding the satellite due to trees, hills etc, it will probably use up battery power a lot quicker.

I shall let you know.

Surely just supplying the power would allow you to find a sat as you say . .... which one ? You would need to connect the receiver to find out and most cheap sat finders of about £5 can take batteries to do the same .

Dave

As I said;

"For those who want to know exactly which satellite you are looking at don't look any further as this is not for that type of finder."

• Like 1

If you do that you will be at it for a very long time. The satellite in the UK is around 145deg magnetic which is in the area of SE!

As someone else said, if you have an Android smartphone or tablet download Satellite Director from the Play Store which will do the job with far less fuss - and its FREE!!! Indeed it is so useful it's almost worth buying a cheap smartphone or tablet just for that purpose.

Edited by Woodentop

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

If you do that you will be at it for a very long time. The satellite in the UK is around 145deg magnetic which is in the area of SE!

As someone else said, if you have an Android smartphone or tablet download Satellite Director from the Play Store which will do the job with far less fuss - and its FREE!!! Indeed it is so useful it's almost worth buying a cheap smartphone or tablet just for that purpose.

SE Then!!! I do have an Android app but it doesn't tell me that I have located the satellite or what signal strength is OR indeed IF I have the right satellite??? Even the video on the link made by the previous person ends by saying you then have to use your satellite finding hardware.

Edited by Mallah
  • Like 1

SE Then!!! I do have an Android app but it doesn't tell me that I have located the satellite or what signal strength is OR indeed IF I have the right satellite??? Even the video on the link made by the previous person ends by saying you then have to use your satellite finding hardware.

The satfinder dishpointer app that we use allows you to select the satellite so you always get correct direction for the correct satellite. This allows you suss out the pitches for best reception before you even set foot on the site. :D However a well thought out gadget depending on battery life.

Do the number crunching:

PP3 alkaline have approx 550mAh capacity.

Satcure reckons an lnb draws 125mA. But other sources suggest up to 300mA for multi outlet versions.

18V is right at max volts for lnb horizontal, and 12. 5V would still work for vertical as the cell capacity depletes. .. (thinking out loud: might there be some switching issues v. p. v at the 14. 5-15. 5V threshold?).

There will be zero current draw if disconnected and a socket fitted to ensure there is no accidental short. Or a fuse to protect against that?

I find my meter as much use as a chocolate teapot and just a very annoying whistle. .. and I've tried using it many, many times. I now use a phone app using the camera, GPS and compass built in to it to find a place I can see the way when trees and hedges are an issue. Then I rely on the meter built into my PVR for fine adjustment but a basic compass to line up the dish arm initially.

NB not all smartphones have the needed compass inside for the apps to use.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

I use dish pointer to give me satellite information to preset my dish,

I also note the compass points in relation to the site reception or

other prominent buildings or features on site. I occasionally use a

mirror to see what the dish is seeing, in regard to obstacles.

Do the number crunching:

PP3 alkaline have approx 550mAh capacity.

Satcure reckons an lnb draws 125mA. But other sources suggest up to 300mA for multi outlet versions.

18V is right at max volts for lnb horizontal, and 12. 5V would still work for vertical as the cell capacity depletes. .. (thinking out loud: might there be some switching issues v. p. v at the 14. 5-15. 5V threshold?).

I just worked on the basis it works because you can buy Sat Finders WITH power packs (usually the AA battery holders) but you can't buy just the power packs - so I made my own :)

I just worked on the basis it works because you can buy Sat Finders WITH power packs (usually the AA battery holders) but you can't buy just the power packs - so I made my own :)

The amount of time you use it for, the battery will likely last as long as Bailey waterproofing. :-)

Have a half full glass, always.

As a newbie at setting up a sat receiver I use an iPhone app and find it pretty easy.

My dish just sits on the ground on a DIY tripod.

Edited by Motobiman

Adventure before dementia.

Saving for a Caravisio !!

As a newbie at setting up a sat receiver I use an iPhone app and find it pretty easy.

My dish just sits on the ground on a DIY tripod.

How do you know how good signal strenght is?

I use a finder too initially then fine tune with the receiver display if necessary.

Must admit unplugging the meter it's easy to move the dish so I saved up for a three way splitter and made up a short extension.

Money is no object where tuning the TV is concerned.

Adventure before dementia.

Saving for a Caravisio !!

I'm also thinking the separate power supply will allow me to set up the dish before getting all the TV gubbins out, i. e. whilst I'm setting up the outside stuff and Mrs M is sorting the inside stuff. Hopefully all I then need to do is get the TV out later and just plug it in etc.

• Like 1

Signal strength is not important. Your sweep should be based on the signal quality reading. 60% plus if possible.

Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

Signal strength is not important. Your sweep should be based on the signal quality reading. 60% plus if possible.

Vin Blanc

I don't have the luxury of a quality reading on my sat finder but I usually find that full strength on the sat finder results in full quality in the TV readout.

Sorry Mallah, I got confused. I assumed we were referring to final fine tuning (strength and quality) using the TV display.

Obviously, my sat finder doesn't show signal quality either.

Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

Just used it to set up a dish on my in-laws bungalow. No running up ladders trying to get it done before the TV shut down because of no signal etc. Plus I used it to test the cables from the living room to the dish - plugged it into the living room socket and tested voltage at the dish end :)