Has Anyone Got A 2015 Or 2016 Kampa Ace Air 400 Or 500?

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have a 2015/16 Kampa Ace Air 400 or 500?

We're looking to get a larger porch air awning but i'm still not 100% sold on the whole air tech yet. I've found a few older reviews for the awning from 2013/14 when they were relatively new to the market and people had various problems with perished valves slow leaks etc. However were a few years down the line now and I'm hoping the kinks have been worked out by now?

So i just wanted any unbiased reviews that people may have from the awning? its the best part of a £1000 so i don't want to make a mistake if possible.

Any help is appreciated :)

We have a 2015 Ace Air, love it, have used it about 4 times. Don't find it to hard to put up, trick is to use the eye in the canvas that's near the awning bead, tie a length of cord to it, wife & I push/pull it up the front awning rail & then when it gets to the flat bit pull the cord. You need to guide all of beading into the rail. Pumping up is not to hard, do it 2 goes as you need to check the air beams straighten out. I have just bought a Kampa Breeze electric pump, should make the job a let easier. Stays up well & looks really good. You'll need the Kampa ground sheet as its shaped to suit the awning foot print. Go for it & shop around for the best price, I don't know what current stock levels are like, we had to wait quite a while at the beginning of last year.

• Like 2

We have the Ace Air 500 and it has been used for a total of 9 weeks, in that time we had a slight Air leak in one of the beams which was sorted by Kampa.

The rear Kampa uprights still have the issue of the connecting springs breaking, we have Dorema type uprights . The roof liner is of better material which soaks the condensation as it drops, The fitted carpet from Kampa for this model is only 2. 75 m wide at the center,the awning extends to 3 m so it is short width ways.

Still pleased with it and it is huge. Hope that helps

mike

post-1322-0-20845000-1459367281_thumb.jpg

Edited by outnumbered
  • Like 1

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

Got to agree with Hairyspinner, great awning.

Got to disagree with outnumbered because our carpet fits the 3 metre depth.

Ian

• Like 1

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

We had a supposedly good quality air awning, but sold it after using it about 5 times and went back to a traditional awning. We had a few issues besides waiting 4 months for delivery. Marks on the awning and water pooling on the roof. The biggest drawback for us was the weight of pulling it through the awning rail.

With a traditional porch awning, it is easy to remove the sides etc and takes no longer than an air awning to erect. If air awnings are so great why hasn't Isabella and others stepped into the market? Your choice and hope you choose wisely. :D

• Like 1

Thanks for the reviews and information guys, I've had a good old think about it and I've just committed to pre-ordering a Kampa Ace 400.

Fingers crossed it will serve me well :P I'll post an update once its arrived and I've used it for the first time. .... exciting :D

Got to agree with Hairyspinner, great awning.

Got to disagree with outnumbered because our carpet fits the 3 metre depth.

Ian

Perhaps on the 300 it does the 500 does not Edited by outnumbered

volvo xc70 D5 se

Maybe too late as you're already sold on getting one, but to echo most of what people have said:

Pretty happy with our Ace Air 400. Is difficult to pull through the channel, but you can make the job a lot easier (and the task of folding too) by removing the 5 side panels for erection/taking down/storage. Be particularly careful of the airbeams as they go past your side repeater/indicators when feeding onto the van as they do snag & could quite easily damage one or the other.

I've got a 12V pump for inflating, is up in a couple of minutes.

The tailored carpet is a perfect fit (IanV8 you must have a duff one) - I actually use it to peg the awning to the intended shape.

We had a fair bit of (water) leakage in the bad weather over the weekend, but is almost certainly because it's the first time it's been properly wet to allow the threads in the seams to swell. ....did notice it diminished a lot on Sunday vs Saturday.

Edited by Disco4

Disco 4 my carpet fits my 400 perfectly it is outnumbered whose carpet does not fit his 500.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Maybe too late as you're already sold on getting one, but to echo most of what people have said:

Pretty happy with our Ace Air 400. Is difficult to pull through the channel, but you can make the job a lot easier (and the task of folding too) by removing the 5 side panels for erection/taking down/storage. Be particularly careful of the airbeams as they go past your side repeater/indicators when feeding onto the van as they do snag & could quite easily damage one or the other.

The tailored carpet is a perfect fit (IanV8 you must have a duff one) - I actually use it to peg the awning to the intended shape.

We had a fair bit of (water) leakage in the bad weather over the weekend, but is almost certainly because it's the first time it's been properly wet to allow the threads in the seams to swell. ....did notice it diminished a lot on Sunday vs Saturday.

Hi Disco4

Would you mind telling me which 12v pump you got, just purchased the ace 500 and I think I need an electric pump for this one.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Hi Disco4

Would you mind telling me which 12v pump you got, just purchased the ace 500 and I think I need an electric pump for this one.

Phil.

You will Phil - it's not fun pumping it up with the manual pump (isn't made for people who are 6 feet tall, for a start).

It's a Sevylor 12V pump I use. Is only rated to 15psi so can't over-inflate the awning. I find the pressure gauge is useless, and just turn it off when the airbeams are suitably firm. Seems to be £35-40 online. ..about half the price of the Kampa unit.

You will Phil - it's not fun pumping it up with the manual pump (isn't made for people who are 6 feet tall, for a start).

It's a Sevylor 12V pump I use. Is only rated to 15psi so can't over-inflate the awning. I find the pressure gauge is useless, and just turn it off when the airbeams are suitably firm. Seems to be £35-40 online. ..about half the price of the Kampa unit.

Yeh im 6' 2'' usually get the wife to do it, but just recently she's started complaining!!! will it run from the vans cig lighter socket do you know? thanks for the info mate.

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

i have the Sevylor 12V pump set it to 12psi and use the aux 12v in the boot .

Mike

• Like 1

volvo xc70 D5 se

Did you have to change the hoses round Mike?

Phil.

Mike

Ditto on that, but I never get to anywhere near a reading of 12psi (as I say, think that bit on mine is faulty. ..).

Phil - It should work from the van socket (subject to power rating), but you'd need an extension lead. ...but you'll probably need one from the car anyway.

Edit: it comes with a selection of nozzles, one of which fits the Kampa awnings.

Edited by Disco4
  • Like 1

Did you have to change the hoses round Mike?

Phil.

Hi Phil

i took the connectors off the pipe that was supplied purchased a longer black pipe of the same diameter and fitted the connectors to this new pipe.

the reason for the longer length is the hose provided i found just a tad too short.

hope that helps

mike

• Like 2

volvo xc70 D5 se

Mike

Another useful piece of info, thanks Outnumbered. These awnings must really be very popular, no where I know has them in stock! so I guess that's a pretty good sign. :unsure:

Edited by adzmullen

Ditto on that, but I never get to anywhere near a reading of 12psi (as I say, think that bit on mine is faulty. ..).

Phil - It should work from the van socket (subject to power rating), but you'd need an extension lead. ...but you'll probably need one from the car anyway.

Edit: it comes with a selection of nozzles, one of which fits the Kampa awnings.

Yeah its probably worth looking into the whole power rating bit and asking for some advice from someone more knowledgeable than me in this area. .... I have in the car one of these:

http://www. amazon. co. uk/Anker-PowerDrive-2-Port-Charger-iPhone/dp/B00VH84L5E?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Its always worked an absolute treat for the kids ipad & kindle. When we were away for the Easter weekend I thought I would be smart and plug it into the vans 12v cigar socket to charge them up over night instead of using two plugs sockets up. I've never used the 12v cigar socket in the van before so thought i should utilize it.

I plugged just the adapter in with nothing connected to it, the power light came on for about 2 seconds and it immediately blew the 10amp blade fuse. So i thought hmmm perhaps its just the fuse having never used the socket before it may have been a duff or something. So I replace the fuse and boom the same thing happened again.

I've learn't from this little experience now HA! :o

there is a 500 one on the bay second hand which is too big for the owner worth a shot .

mike

• Like 1

volvo xc70 D5 se

Re the high level side repeater lights, I pulled the cover off mine when pulling the awning thru'(had an air 390 then)put it back on, they only push clip in place. When we packed the awning up I must have pulled it off again & lost the cover. I decided to change them(Unicorn 2) & bought some more streamlined, lower profile ones. Solved the problem nicely. Why oh why do Bailey have such prominent lights & put them right at the front? Plenty of caravans have them high up at the rear.