Just came across this from the Caravan Club data sheet on towing mirrors.

Therefore, additional mirrors will normally need to be fitted on the nearside and offside
when towing. Due to the maximum width these mirrors may project, remember that
when driving solo it will most likely be a legal requirement to remove the additional
mirrors, and is certainly best practice, not only for reasons of safety and legality, but
also to minimise fuel consumption
As I always drive solo - what exactly does this mean?

"Mavis" 1992 Elddis Force 2 towed by 2011 Vauxhall Meriva 1. 7 CDTi - Just me and my dog

“Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love. They depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs, your heart is very big." Erica Jong

Take the extension mirrors off when you're not towing.

John. :)

• Like 1

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Ahh blonde moment - so driving "solo" means not towing rather than alone!! They could have chosen a better word to use!

:D :D

Edited by Patp
  • Like 4

"Mavis" 1992 Elddis Force 2 towed by 2011 Vauxhall Meriva 1. 7 CDTi - Just me and my dog

“Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love. They depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs, your heart is very big." Erica Jong

Hi Patp. Like what ? Solo is an expression for driving when not towing for as long as I can remember - I'm 70 and until recently had been towing caravans and large boxed trailers since 1964.

Caravan-less would sound and also look a bit daft :unsure:;):rolleyes:

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hi Patp. Like what ? Solo is an expression for driving when not towing for as long as I can remember - I'm 70 and until recently had been towing caravans and large boxed trailers since 1964.

Caravan-less would sound and also look a bit daft :unsure:;):rolleyes:

Like "when not towing" perhaps??

Wonder if it would have stood up in court?? Well M'Lud it says 'ere if I'm going on me 'oliday wiv me caravan an I am alone I dont need them pesky mirrors as it uses more petrol

• Like 4

There is no such thing as a silly question, so if your not sure then ask.

But it did make me laugh when the penny dropped.

Edited by Doosan

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

I'm with Patp on this one - I thought solo meant when the wife and kids are off shopping!

Keiron

• Like 2

How does it feel?... to be without a home. .. like a complete unknown. .. like a rolling stone?

I am with Pat on this. Driving solo is not obviously not towing and I am 4 weeks off being 70 :)

Also I have been towing Caravans since June 1537. Those were the days!

• Like 1

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Flying solo?

The argument about the term "solo" should be contexed that it is used in an article about towing mirrors on a car with caravan and solo. The question was asked. The answer was given. Isn't that OK? Is one bored? Should one find something to do?

Ern

B

The argument about the term "solo" should be contexed that it is used in an article about towing mirrors on a car with caravan and solo. The question was asked. The answer was given. Isn't that OK? Is one bored? Should one find something to do?

Mmm forgot why I dont post here very often.

• Like 1

My father's generation referred to motorbikes as "solos" to differentiate them from those with a sidecar, "combinations" - I've no idea if bikers still do.

CC can be a bit perverse - the term "outfit" is used for car+ caravan or motorhome but in other contexts to caravan or tent.

• Like 1

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Also I have been towing Caravans since June 1537. Those were the days!

Hmmm. Definitely not a caravanserai, or could it be? :unsure:

Mitsubishi ASX4

Interests, none worth mentioning. Just plain boring most of the time, and very boring the rest.

Like "when not towing" perhaps??

Wonder if it would have stood up in court?? Well M'Lud it says 'ere if I'm going on me 'oliday wiv me caravan an I am alone I dont need them pesky mirrors as it uses more petrol

​From what i have seen on the road ( towing ) a lot of drivers believe that !

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Just came across this from the Caravan Club data sheet on towing mirrors.

Therefore, additional mirrors will normally need to be fitted on the nearside and offside

when towing. Due to the maximum width these mirrors may project, remember that

when driving solo it will most likely be a legal requirement to remove the additional

mirrors, and is certainly best practice, not only for reasons of safety and legality, but

also to minimise fuel consumption

As I always drive solo - what exactly does this mean?

Caravan Club speak is a bit like legal jargon and you have my sympathy for misunderstanding it. I've been a CC member for many years and despite my age I don't think I'll ever be old or pompous enough to cope with some of the stuff they publish.

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Flying solo?

I've done that and it frightened me, I went out with a crop sprayer for the day and he had to fly solo to get under some power lines, the power lines on telegraph poles :o

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Hmmm. Definitely not a caravanserai, or could it be? :unsure:

Not in June, surely!

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

Caravan Club speak is a bit like legal jargon and you have my sympathy for misunderstanding it. I've been a CC member for many years and despite my age I don't think I'll ever be old or pompous enough to cope with some of the stuff they publish.

John.

It's not always easy to document a legal requirement without involving some legal jargon.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES