External Blown Air In Awning

TrickyT

Having read all of the topics on heating in awnings etc, jogged my memory (I think!)

I remember reading somewhere that you can get a conversion kit to take the blown air heating from inside the caravan and put externl points on the caravan to blow warm air into the awning.

Can't find any links for it so any help would be appreciated.

Could I fit this myself or would I be better taking it back to the palce I purchased it from so that there will be no warranty issues?

Regards

Trevor

Guest john1215

Wouldn't you be better of getting a fan heater of some kind rather than using the blown air. The blown air will require mains connection to work anyway and the inside of the van will suffer if the power of the fan is ducted outside - just an observation.

john1215

Thanks for all of the information.

I was just looking at available options and thought if I could use the existing heater it would save carrying additional items.

Having done a search on the net it turns out that it needs to be installed as the same side as the fire for the best effect. Installing on the other like we would need to give a poor result in heat.

I think this information came from TRADETECH

Regards

Trevor

. ................take the blown air heating from inside the caravan and put externl points on the caravan to blow warm air into the awning.

6830[/snapback]

A lot of new vans come with a vent to the outside. Never found it very good and I have it blocked off. In the winter months we use a greenhouse type electric fan heater in the awning.

Guest macSpot

We had the Truma awning outlet on our last van - it was a complete waste of time. Not only was it not very effective in the awning, the interior of the van did not heat very well, even when the flap was closed.

I eventually blocked the duct off in the van and the difference was quite noticeable, the van heated up much quicker. I removed the blocking when I traded the van in.

This is not an option I would use if I was wanting to heat an awning.

MacSpot

We had the Truma awning outlet on our last van - it was a complete waste of time. Not only was it not very effective in the awning, the interior of the van did not heat very well, even when the flap was closed.

I eventually blocked the duct off in the van and the difference was quite noticeable, the van heated up much quicker. I removed the blocking when I traded the van in.

This is not an option I would use if I was wanting to heat an awning.

MacSpot

6901[/snapback]

Awning heaters are pretty common these days - but I have to say I still prefer to take the trusty old convector heater !!

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

Purchasing a small heater fan or natural convection would be far more economical

price wise, i purchased a very efficient fan heater from plumb center for 25. 00 quid, (made by dimplex) , also i noticed about installing a extension onto your own heater yourself, i,m not 100% how this is done but would you have to cut some sort of vent to the outside on your van ? if this was me i wouldn't fancy doing

it just incase it didn't seal properly or i could be very wrong about this . :mellow:

• 1 year later...

A lot of new vans come with a vent to the outside. Never found it very good and I have it blocked off. In the winter months we use a greenhouse type electric fan heater in the awning.

Can't agree more. A greenhouse heater is designed especially to be safe in damp air conditions, and as you know water (Damp) and electricity don't mix. :(

Please, anyone using a normal house type heater take extra care, and avoid switching on in the early mornings as this is usually when the moisture content of the air is at its highest, especially if someone has been sleeping in the awning.

Pop