Sign in to follow this  
mcbrucer

Help Needed For Flashing Light!

Hello all,

We've just pitched up for the weekend at a lovely little site near Alton towers.

For reasons I've yet to fathom, the red light on the Whale water heater panel in our 2013 Elddis Avante 636 is flashing three times.

The manual says this is a problem with voltage but I've had all my European testers out and everything seems fine. Everything else in the van seems to be working - or at least as far as I can tell.

Oddly, the light keeps on flashing 3 times regardless if the water heater is actually turned on or not. Even with the fuse board trip switch isolated which makes me wonder if it really is a water heater problem. Then only way I can get it to stop is by turning off everythjng at the master switch.

Does anyone out there have any experience of this problem that can help us?

( I thought we finally had this van all sorted after last years run of warranty repairs! Arrghhhh!)

It may be that your battery voltage is a bit low - have you got a multimeter to check it.

Thanks matelodave

I don't have a multimeter with me in afraid.

Does the battery voltage matter even though I'm on a hook up?

I've just had the battery on a smart charger for a week after running flat after being left in the van over winter (the van lives in a storage park).

If it is the battery, could be that it is knackered and needing replacement?

It would be a fair assumption that a the battery is kaput and that the charger is struggling to get the voltage up - you really need a multimeter to test stuff out rather than making random guesses.

A fully charged battery not on ehu should have around 12. 5-12. 7 volts across it. The van charger should push that up to around 13. 6-13. 8 but a knackered battery could almost look like a short circuit across the charger and in some cases will blow the charger fuse.

Is it a gas lockout? Seem to remember it is fixed by turning off on off in quick succession.

This is just a shot in the dark, but I seem to recall a post last year where a water heater light was on and it was because the heater needed descaling! Might be worth a try.

Appreciate this is Easter weekend so you my not be able to make contact until Tuesday, but Whale are a very helpful company (from personal experience ) and can be contacted:

Tel: 0845 217 2933

http://www. whalepumps. com/contact-us. aspx

Worth trying this morning (Saturday ) on the off chance someone's at work.

Also, you can get a multi meter for £9. 99 from screw fix (if you can't borrow one)

http://www. screwfix. com/p/lap-mas830b-digital-multimeter-600v/75337

You could try swapping the caravan battery for your car battery, temporarily.

Edited by MillieDog

Good idea Milliedog, I'll try calling them at 9.

The battery test function on the main panel says 13. 7v so assume that's about what it should be.

I haven't tried the gas lockout thing as I've not got the gas heater turned on and I think it has a separate light (green one).

• Like 1

Whale have always been very helpful whenever I have called them.

• Like 1

I had that on ours, but also had a faulty switch panel, when the whale guy came to replace the switch I told him about the flashing light. ....he just clicked it on and of about 5 times with a 2 second gap detention switches. ...cured it. ...

Since then I've had the same problem so did what he did. ...sorted. ...worth a try. ..

Thanks Timanita!

I tried just that and it seems to have cleared the flashing light.

I do seem to have another problem now though. The water is only coming through at the rate of a dribble. I tried recalibrating the pump and it didn't really make any difference. We don't use the shower - it's become a storage cupboard for various bits of kit - because of this I don't ever use that tap at all. The recalibration instructions say to start with the shower. Im wondering if I need to empty it out and try that now. ...

Our shower will reach the basin, sorry don't know your layout.

Alternatively, will it reach a window. Or coud you use a bucket/bowl to catch the water.

Good luck, so frustrating when things won't work as they should.

It's the story of our lives in this van!!

I'll see if I can reach the basin with the hose.

Thanks again to everyone worth your helpful suggestions.

Cheers!

Plot thickens. The shower hose does reach the basin so I tried it out and guess what? Lots of flowing hot and cold water. Then I tried the taps in both the basin and the kitchen sink, a dribble. I recalibrated using the shower and it hasn't really had any effect at all. So now we are filling the kitchen sink via the shower and a jug. I can't figure out how this can happen as surely it's all the same supply. Any ideas out there appreciated! Cheers

I wonder if there's a filter in the basin and kitchen tap thats blocked? Bit of a coincidence for both to block at the same time.

What happens if you've got the shower delivering a good flow (so you know the pump is running properly) and you simultaneously turn on the basin tap and/or the kitchen tap?

Sorry, above is based on thinking and typing, rather than science / fact.

Another possble source of help - There's a Compass (part of Elddis) dealer 11 miles from Alton Towers (according to Google):

http://www. caramotorhomes. co. uk/

Edited by MillieDog

Maybe the filter on the end of the tap is blocked with debris. They usually unscrew. Worth a try, but I suspect it's something else.

Hi,

As already suggested it is likely to be debris in the kitchen tap or a blockage in the system between the water heater and the kitchen tap.

Please contact us for further help if required.

Tel: 028 9127 0531

E-mail: info@whalepumps. com

Many thanks,

Aoiffe

Whale Support

• Like 1

I thought I'd close the loop on this one.

No debris was found in either of the tap roses.

After exploring all the options, I ended up buying a new pump for the system and that seems to have fixed it. I'm a little disappointed that the pump failed after only light use and inside 3 years. I can't help wonder if the failure we had last year with the IC control unit dying (which to their credit, Whale replaced for me FOC) , is to blame in some way.

Cheers