Sign in to follow this  
Badminton13

Cycle Carrier

Wondered if anyone has recommendation for a cycle rack. We are thinking of a rear carrier needs to accommodate 2 cycles one is electric so heavier. The roof option is too high for us to manage easily and comments or advice most welcome

On 11/28/2015 at 20:03, Gordon said:

Where to carry your bikes. A personal view. ..

Caravan Rear:

We've had two caravans in the past that had rear cycle carriers (Fiamma) fitted to them. The first was fitted by the caravan manufacturer from new, whilst for the second, the caravan was supplied with additional internal strengthening to the rear wall, for me to bolt a carrier to. With up to three bikes on the caravan rear, and with considered caravan loading, there were never any stability issues when towing. However it was easy to forget the bikes were there, and walk into them when setting up the outfit!

Car Roof:

We have carried three bikes on the roof of the tow car, but this created a lot of turbulence over the front of the caravan, and the outfit felt unstable. There was also a lot of noise generated as the wind whistled through the bike frames. While the sunroof could be opened, it was not a pleasant experience. The bikes also increased the overall height of the outfit as the handlebars were well above the caravan roofline.

Car Rear:

The bikes have also been mounted on the rear of the car, but this severely restricts access when trying to hitch or unhitch the caravan, the tailgate cannot be opened en route, and the weight has to be considered when calculating the permitted noseweight.

Caravan A-Frame:

I have never owned a caravan with a long enough A-frame to permit bikes to be mounted there, but I would imagine the problems would be similar to mounting them on the rear of the towcar.

Inside Caravan:

For short journeys, they have been placed inside the caravan, but this presented difficulties in finding a way to secure them, and there was always the fear that an oily chain would come into contact with the upholstery.

Inside car:

Similarly, they have also been partially dismantled and placed inside the towcar, but the problems were similar to putting them in the caravan. We do have a couple of folding bikes that will fit inside the car, and that's ideal for a weekend, but you really do need a full sized bike of you're going to do any serious cycling.

Conclusion:

My personal choice is to mount them on the caravan rear, providing it is strong enough, but I appreciate this is probably more realistic for a longer twin axle than a shorter, lighter, caravan, and the overall length has to be considered as well as the weight of the bikes. Both standard and electric bikes have been carried using these carriers on our caravans.

On 4/4/2017 at 19:59, Gordon said:

I have towed many thousands of perfectly stable miles with two adult bikes on the rear of various caravans, and sometimes with an additional child's bike there too. Slight swaying has been apparent with the same setup on a single axle caravan but never was it unstable. I would however not advocate carrying three or four adult bikes on a rear mounted caravan rack if you plan to tow at speed.

I see that you're towing a twin axle caravan and there is a little trick that may be employed. Given that the front axle will be carrying a slightly higher load than the rear one, you could try reducing the rear caravan tyre pressures by no more than 2psi, keeping the front ones at the recommended full pressure. This should make the contact area on the road for both front and rear tyres the same once the noseweight is set to the max permitted on the a-frame (100kgs?) and hopefully improve stability. Do not carry any significant load on the towcar's roof and ensure that both the towcar and caravan are riding level when loaded.

Above all, if the outfit feels even slightly unstable, slow down immediately as even 5mph speed reduction can make a significant difference.

I have tried many configurations for carrying bikes, including inside the caravan, and my preferred location remains the rear of the caravan, providing care is taken with loading for maximum stability.

Gordon.

This is really not an easy problem to resolve. However a mate of mine has an elderly Elddis Hurricane which he has just had a rear Fiamma rack fitted. Identical really to those you see on Motorhomes. It looks great but as yet he hasn't had the van out so I can't give any feedback. His van has the standard front gas bottle locker so noseweight won't be a problem. On the other hand I have a Bailey with no front gas locker, I emailed Bailey and was told that they do not recommend fitting a rear carrier to the rear of the van as there are no mounting points in the panel. After much humming and harring and posting on this forum I have ordered a Thule caravan light sport rack for the A frame. I created a template in cardboard placed it on the A frame and put the caravan on the back of the car to check the affect on the turning circle. This is where I have a slight problem, as anticipated and everyone pointed out such a carrier does restrict the turning circle of the car, I think this will be a bigger problem reversing rather than going forward. But I plan to modify the carrying arrangement somewhat. Our 2 mountain bikes have quick release front wheels and I'm going to drill a hole through one of the uprights, insert a bolt long enough to hold both fron forks, then fasten them using nuts. The rear wheels of the bikes will be attached to the rack in the usual way.
What this means is that I should be able to 'contain' bikes within the width if the carrier and this will allow sufficient room for a decent lock on reversing.
Our caravan doesn't have a front locker, the gas bottle ((I only carry 1) is above the axle so I won't have any problem with nose weight and the 2 wheels can easily be carried in the boot of the car.
The rack is to be delivered either in the next couple of days and I should gave it in place by the weekend. I will put the photos on here if you are interested.

Quoting:

. But I plan to modify the carrying arrangement somewhat. Our 2 mountain bikes have quick release front wheels and I'm going to drill a hole through one of the uprights, insert a bolt long enough to hold both front forks, then fasten them using nuts. The rear wheels of the bikes will be attached to the rack in the usual way.
What this means is that I should be able to 'contain' bikes within the width if the carrier and this will allow sufficient room for a decent lock on reversing.
Our caravan doesn't have a front locker, the gas bottle ((I only carry 1) is above the axle so I won't have any problem with nose weight and the 2 wheels can easily be carried in the boot of the car.

Clamping a pair of these to the trackways should be a lot more practical modification.

http://www. tredz. co. uk/.Delta-Bike-Hitch-Pro-In-Car-Rack_46651. htm?sku=122187&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CPLp4p2Vl9QCFZQK0wodEcUNVg

Edited by JTQ
  • Like 1

Ours are full size and travel inside the car but this only works with adequate height.

Keeps them clean and dry as one is an electric. :)

post-1814-0-92049900-1496134541_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Quoting:

. But I plan to modify the carrying arrangement somewhat. Our 2 mountain bikes have quick release front wheels and I'm going to drill a hole through one of the uprights, insert a bolt long enough to hold both front forks, then fasten them using nuts. The rear wheels of the bikes will be attached to the rack in the usual way.

Clamping a pair of these to the trackways should be a lot more practical modification.

http://www. tredz. co. uk/.Delta-Bike-Hitch-Pro-In-Car-Rack_46651. htm?sku=122187&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CPLp4p2Vl9QCFZQK0wodEcUNVg

Thanks JTQ, Brilliant! I have seen those on some roof mounted racks but didnt know what they were called to search for them. I think they will be perfect.

Ours are full size and travel inside the car but this only works with adequate height.

Keeps them clean and dry as one is an electric. :)

attachicon.gifIMG_0340. JPG

Also a great idea Griff unfortunately I have to fit a Husky into the back of our car!

I have same problem, A frame seemed best, however the price of racks was rather high, roof too high, so settled for back of car.   I went for this one as cheap, can be used at same time as towing, and still OK when solo, we had something similar in the past,  but it ended up on back of sons boat which has now been sold.

There are some problems with this type, we ended up burning the tyres on one bike as it was too near the exhaust, the A frame type the wheels sit on a trough so does not matter what shape the frame is on the bike, also with bike rack on with the last one we could not open tail gate.

As yet new one has not arrived, however our car you can open the back window to access boot does not need the tail gate to open.

We did carry on the roof years ago, mainly as tandems too long to go along the back of car, but lifting it up was a problem.

At home we use a GoWing, Renault Kango modified to carry wheel chairs, this is ideal, no need to remove wheels and bikes secure in back of car. However to use that means two cars. I am sure they would fit in the Kia Sorento but unless you make a carrier as Griff shows too easy to damage car or bike.  

Although still think A frame option likely the best, you do need to consider tow bar weight. I have not tested full lock to see if bikes foul, just crossing fingers, with postage etc, around £45 so not braking the bank even if it does foul.   Google " flange type cycle carrier" there are other makes.

I also have Bailey with no front locker so am interested in A frame mount, as my car is tall and has removable tow bar it’s either A frame or rear rack attached to tailgate taking the wheels off to give clearance.

There are roof mounted racks (for cars) that swing down to an easy level to use but I have no idea how expensive

Sign in to follow this